IGNORED

2009 taylor made burner - choosing the shaft flex

Note: This thread is 4866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been to the local stores, and I can't hit all of the flexes/lofts on the launch monitor. The stores with launch monitors simply don't have them all available. So I know.. getting fit is the proper way.. but I just can't try everything.

I currently have a Cobra L4V M speed (regular flex, 10.5*). My driver swing speed is 103. I hit this driver very high, and seem to spray it more than I did my previous drivers (10 & 10.5*, both Stiff shafts).

I know the shafts vary from club to club.. but I'm torn between which TaylorMade Burner to get. I'm either going with 10.5 & Stiff flex, or 9.5 and Regular flex.

Anyone have any feedback on the Regular vs Stiff shafts in this club?

I've been to the local stores, and I can't hit all of the flexes/lofts on the launch monitor. The stores with launch monitors simply don't have them all available. So I know.. getting fit is the proper way.. but I just can't try everything.

Honestly i would try the 9.5* but its really what makes you comfortable! I hit a 9.5* TM super quad but recently bought the R9. I was told by a pga professional at an academy the reason i hit it so high is because myswing is to steep, and i need to flatten it out. Maybe try working on that. But as far as shafts i would stick with a stiff flex due to your swing speed! Just my opinion.

If it's the stock 49 gram wet noodle TM puts in the Burner, pass on both. Try to find an upgraded shaft. I'd try as many as needed before you purchase, and pick the one you hit best. Buying a club w/o hitting it is like buying a car w/o driving it.

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago. I've always hit a 10.5* Driver so that was the first TM I tried. R9 10.5* R Shaft and the ball sprayed everywhere, changed to a stiff shaft and the trajectory was way to low for me. The rep spent more time tinkering with a wrench than I did hitting the ball. If I have to take a toolbox with me to the course to adjust this club I don't want it so I put it back. I then grabbed a 9.5* Burner R Shaft and it hit better as far as direction but something felt different at the bottom of the swing close to impact. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was but it felt uncomfortable, it was almost like I was coming under the ball instead of through the ball. So I put that back and the rep handed me last years Burner, 9.5* R Flex....and I smoked it! 8 out of 10 drives were rifles right down the line. Trajectory was perfect, I could play both fade and draw if I needed to, swing speed was up, I gained 11 yards of carry over my Cleveland Ti460 Launcher, and it was $100 cheaper than the 09 Burner. So needless to say I walked out of there very happy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I had so many people tell me the 09 Burner is better than the 08 when I found out for myself this is not true. Shafts are going to vary by manufacturer, some manuf. reg flex could be close to someone else's stiff shafts. I was somewhat pleased with the ReAx (Fuji) shafts in the TM drivers, they provide very good feedback and perform the way I need them to when I need them to (so much so I bought the matching Burner 3 wood yesterday). Good luck in your search.

By the way: My average swing speed with the 08 Burner with R. Flex was 95 mph. 09 Burner with R. Flex was 93 mph. R9 with Stiff Flex was 91 mph.
Driver: '07 Burner 10.5* R Flex ReAx Shaft
3 Wood: '07 Burner 15* R Flex ReAx Shaft
Utility: '07 Burner Rescue 19* R Flex Reax Shaft
Irons: MP-33 3-PW S300 Shaft
Wedge: X-Forged 52* Steel Shaft Wedge: X-Forged 58* MD-C Steel Shaft Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Burner TP

• 1 year later...

This fall I got the 9.5* regular flex stock shaft and I really like the club.  It was on sale for $150, a great price for a phenomenal driver.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

For me I wouldn't buy a driver without hitting the very one I was buying.  All 3 of the stiff shafted Burner drivers I've hit felt like regulars, the only time I've hit a TM that felt stiff it had a custom/aftermarket shaft.  My R7 CGB had a regular Proto by you that felt stiff to me.  So it's all how it works for you.

Originally Posted by dbwood

For me I wouldn't buy a driver without hitting the very one I was buying.  All 3 of the stiff shafted Burner drivers I've hit felt like regulars, the only time I've hit a TM that felt stiff it had a custom/aftermarket shaft.  My R7 CGB had a regular Proto by you that felt stiff to me.  So it's all how it works for you.

I have to echo the sentiment that the stiff shafted 09 Burner felt like a regular shaft. I really like the feel of the UST ProForce V2 shafts in stiff. My 09' Burner I got on eBay for less than $150 new but the shaft was crap for my SS. A trip to Golfsmith and $80 later I have a driver that can occaisionally reach 270-280 yards. I'm happy.  Try as many different shafts as you can, when you find the one that feels right you'll know it.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Note: This thread is 4866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!