IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Nobody crumbled and fell for Jack - he had to beat them ... and he did!

Tell that to Doug Sanders, Greg Norman, Seve Ballesteros, and Tom Weiskopf among others. All of them choked against Jack.

Tell that to Doug Sanders, Greg Norman, Seve Ballesteros, and Tom Weiskopf among others. All of them choked against Jack.

Doug Sanders I will agree with; Greg Norman's career at the top was just beginning as Jack's was ending. Yes, he forced Seve into an error at The Masters in 1986 - by which time he had already won four Majors. Weiskopf also won while Jack was playing. The point is that Jack had to beat these people. And Palmer, Trevino, Player, Watson and Miller, too.

That could be because they were in their 50s when Jack turned pro...

Just a thought! (Although in one of Jack's first US Opens, he was paired with Hogan in the final round, I think it was. And Hogan did come close...he said afterwards he played 'with a kid who should have won this thing by 10 shots'. How kind of him!)

i have to go with tiger just cause of his age and already with so many majors i believe he will double what jack had for major wins
In My Callaway Stand Bag
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha titanium with stiff shaft
Irons : Callaway: x18r's + 1" on them :D

It is hard to say, but times change along with equipment and circumstances. I'd love to see them both in their prime competing with the same gear! Without that it is kind of a moot point...

- Pat

41 yrs. old, 3rd year playing and learning!
In my beginner bag:
--------------------------Driver/3W/3H - Nike Sumo SQ4H - TaylorMade Rescue5 iron - PW 2008 Callaway BB w/iBridsLW/SW/GW - 2010 Cleveland CG15Putter - 2008 Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7---------------------------

i have to go with tiger just cause of his age and already with so many majors i believe he will double what jack had for major wins

I think that Tiger is two Majors ahead of where Jack was at the same age.

(I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!) That being the case, he's on course to beat Jack...but he hasn't, yet. Remains to be seen if the competition measures up to the greats Jack played against.

I'll say Tiger. If Tiger can stay healthy he'll have no problem breaking Jack's and others records. Heck, he's almost there already! He'll probably do it playing less golf than Jack did. Don't forget there weren't as many endorsements in Jack's day he HAD to play every week!

Bag: GT
Driver: G10 9* stiff
3Wood: S9-1 stiff
Hybrid: BAFFLER stiff
Irons: GRAD MP 4-PW R300Wedge: FALDO NF-56Putter: Rossa Mezza MonzaBall: Pro V1Gps: SG2.5

I will side with most people in saying that its comparing apples to oranges. But when it really boils down to it I believe the competition today is much more fierce and intense than back in Jack's day...

Jack was just before my time (honest!)

Going to have to go with Mr Woods - Love him or hate him you cannot deny he has brought golf to the forefront for the masses!

Based on competition and technology alone, I would have to say Tiger. Take Jack in his "hay-day" and Tiger in his best days and Tiger will win 9 out of 10 times, guaranteed.

In my bag:

Driver: Rapture
FW Woods: T-Zoid
Irons: DCI Oversize +Wedges: Nicklaus Wedges (GW,AW,LW)Putter: Pure RollBall: Burner LDP

Jack > Tiger because his experience in the game is far more superior than Tiger. What tiger has over jack is simply youth and thats it.

Whats in the Four 5?

Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3W
CPR 22/26 HybridsG5 5-PW Black Dot +2 Vokey Sm OilCanSV Tour 60* Black FinishBarbadosPro-V1 recycled

Tiger's great; but to do what Jack has done, with a lot more competition, using what, today, would be considered in-adequate equipment, in my mind makes Jack the man.