IGNORED

Which tour pro's swing?

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you are athletic, I think the best swing out there is Anthony Kim. If you want to keep it simple I am biased on Steve Stricker. Definitely his putting stroke, and wedge game.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

I don't think you should "mimic" anyone's swing if you can help it...but if I had to pick I would go with Vijay or Geoff Ogilve(sp?) Both of those guys have really good tempo and are very smooth. Fred Couples would be another good one.

? Are you planning on reinventing the golf swing after 600+ years?

Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Since you are tall and athleticly built, I would look at other players the same hieght and build as you are. Players that first come to mind are Ernie, Vijay, Adam Scott, Nick Watney, Sean O'Hair, and Retief Goosen. Some people are saying Anthony Kim but he is only 5'9" 160 lbs and that is no where near your body type

Nike SQ 460 9.5 Stiff
Nike SQ 3 Wood 15* Stiff
Titleist 585H 19* DG S300
Mizuno MP33 3-PW DG S300
Bob Vokey 54.10* & 60.04*Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Since you are tall and athleticly built, I would look at other players the same hieght and build as you are. Players that first come to mind are Ernie, Vijay, Adam Scott, Nick Watney, Sean O'Hair, and Retief Goosen. Some people are saying Anthony Kim but he is only 5'9" 160 lbs and that is no where near your body type

I don't really see how height would determine who you modelled your swing after. Height really only affects swing plane.

Weight shouldn't matter either as I'm sure someone who wasn't as heavy as John Daly would still be able to create a big overswing and belt a shot... You can't recreate the player's swing regardless of physical similarities, however you can mimic the player's tempo and mechanics and I think that is what anyone and everyone should be doing when looking at the pros. And I still don't think there's a single player on tour who has as clean and solid of a swing as AK.
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

I would go for a LPGA player, their mechanics tend to be a bit simpler and more consistant without the complication of "power moves" that most male pro's have.

Consider Lorena Ochoa without her little head tilt in the backswing.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

One that gets overlooked due to his past injuries and age is Steve Elkington. Very simple swing and very good tempo.

Sorry didn't see your body type. He is totally Correct!!

MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

One that gets overlooked due to his past injuries and age is Steve Elkington. Very simple swing and very good tempo.

Great compact, simple swing. GOOD CALL!! I totally forgot about him.

I don't really see how height would determine who you modelled your swing after. Height really only affects swing plane.

If you try to model your swing after someone with totally different body characteristics then you will have a tough time mimicking their movement. As height and build have a ton to do with mechanics and swing plane.

? Are you planning on reinventing the golf swing after 600+ years?

I don't understand what you are saying? I think trying to copy another golfer's swing is unnecessary. Everyone has different body types and tendencies, etc...therefore their swings will be different. I don't think there is one swing that everyone is shooting for. I think it is better to find your swing and improve on that. Now since I made this post, the OP has stated that he was just looking to add certain things about different players' swings to try and make his better. That is different than what I was referring to. So, your sarcastic question really didn't make any sense. I get that you were trying to be funny, but it really does nothing for the original topic.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't understand what you are saying? I think trying to copy another golfer's swing is unnecessary. Everyone has different body types and tendencies, etc...therefore their swings will be different. I don't think there is one swing that everyone is shooting for. I think it is better to find your swing and improve on that. Now since I made this post, the OP has stated that he was just looking to add certain things about different players' swings to try and make his better. That is different than what I was referring to. So, your sarcastic question really didn't make any sense. I get that you were trying to be funny, but it really does nothing for the original topic.

I'm sorry, I should have been considerate and realized that there was a possibility that you would have taken the comment personally and that you wouldn't understand what I was saying.

If you want to make it an issue I'll be glad to play along: Maybe the fact that the "OP" was asking for a tour pro's swing to mimic is the reason why people are listing names for the "OP" to model his swing after; so in actuality it is your comment in regards to the term "mimic" that "really does nothing for the original topic". If you aren't going to "mimic" or imitate a more experienced pro, how would you improve upon your own swing? The only other thing I could think of is to experiment through trial and error and attempt to invent a swing for oneself, however I feel that it would just be much easier to do the sacrilegious and imitate a pro.
Callaway FT 3 Wood

I'm sorry, I should have been considerate and realized that there was a possibility that you would have taken the comment personally and that you wouldn't understand what I was saying.

I agree..that is why I posted up pros that I would suggest following. Now as far as imitating a more experienced pro...I play with many guys that have never imitated a pro's swing. I play with guys that consistently shoot par on our course and have never imitated anyone's swing. I actually know of no one that imitates a pro's swing. All of the golfers that I know, have just practiced the swing ability that god gave them and gotten good at what they do while incorporating good fundamentals. Bottom line is keeping it on plane and being right at impact.

As far as inventing a swing for oneself, you can call it what you want. I am sure that everyone's swing is going to look a lot like many pro's swings just because the swing is on plane...does that mean that they imitated the pro? No, it just means that those are the fundamentals. Everyone that plays golf tries to get good at the fundamentals of the game. Since the fundamentals are in the end the same for everyone basically, I guess you call that imitating... or just call it playing golf. The only reason it was taken the least bit personal is because you actually pointed me out for your sarcastic comment. And to answer your question
If you aren't going to "mimic" or imitate a more experienced pro, how would you improve upon your own swing?

...practice good fundamentals. I mean would you tell someone to mimic Jim Furyk's swing or John Daly's swing or Tim Herron's swing? Just because the person is a more experienced pro doesn't mean you need to go out and try to make your swing look like his.

Bryan A

I'm only 5'9" so Anthony Kim is my swing hero. He uses a lot of core muscles in his swing. I like that.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that it is bad to get qualities from a pro's swing and try to incorporate them into your swing. What I was saying is that I would not look at a pro and try to change my swing to exactly match his. That is just the way that I am. Everyone is different so obviously opinions will vary.

Bryan A

I like swings which are more flat and rotational in nature,therefore guys like Kim,Jiminez,and Immelman have a simple baseball action to them,or for me much like my topspin forehand aimed at the ground when I played tennis.

Simple visual images are a better way of learning than reading about what to do.I also believe that your body will learn it's own way of moving without manipulation,all we have to do is provide it with the fundamentals or image of a swing and it will develop on it's own giving you a swing that's individual to you.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!