IGNORED

230-yard par 3s

Note: This thread is 6535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I don't understand why the pros are so whiny about 230-yard par 3s. Yeah, they're a tough par... but an easy bogey. Someone famous said that's how golf should be.

My home course has a 200-yard par 3 that plays straight into the prevailing west wind. I've had to hit driver there a few times when it's really windy, and 3-wood plenty of times when it's just been windy. Which do you think is harder: a 230-yard par 3 for PGA Tour players or a 200-yard par 3 into the wind for the average golfer?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

of course a 200yard par 3 for the average golfer, but do you think you are an average golfer?

In the Bag:

MP-001 10 degree exsar 60
MP-001 3 wood grafalloy prolite elite
T-40 5 wood nike stock regular 22&26 degree CPR hybrids 5-9 CPR II 48 degree forged wedge 52&56 degree CPR wedges Corza monza

of course a 200yard par 3 for the average golfer, but do you think you are an average golfer?

lol -- There a similar hole it's 200 to the middle but in the afternoon you're always playing it 20 yards further..I hate long par 3's.

Absolutely the 200 yard par 3 for the average golfer.

Pro golfers, if they need to, could hit 5 or 6 iron 200 yards to the front part of the green and then get up and down from there probably 8 out of 10 times.

The average golfer cannot control his trajectory into the wind and has to hit a longer club, thus a wider dispersion in the shot pattern. Plus, average golfers typically have below average short games and would only get up and down from around the green probably 4 out of 10 times.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

• Administrator
Absolutely the 200 yard par 3 for the average golfer.

Exactly. So the pros should stop whining.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

One of the local courses here ( a city park course) has par 3's that measure 195, 145, 220, and 215. The par 3's are the toughest holes on the course, but I love them . So many public course have par 3's that are all 130 - 150 yards and its seems you never hit a club any longer than an 8 iron all day.
In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

Hands down the 200 yard par 3
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Exactly. So the pros should stop whining.

Agreed. I hate it when they whine and complain about the US Open because -1 or E wins the tournament. If it's fair and hard, so be it. Everyone's gotta play the same course.

In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

My home course #11 is a 223 yd par 3. Teebox is elevated about 60 feet from the fairway, shallow bunker-guarded green is elevated about 30 feet. The right side is straight up forest. Its a tough hole, but one of my favorites.

I think a 230 yd. par 3 is a good thing for the pros. For me its one hell of a challenge, but I do enjoy it.

usually plays down wind but when the wind is from the north, its especially tough. Miss it left and the slope kicks you into the woods. Miss it too far right and you are OB.

No. 7 -- Par 3
Black: 202 yards Gold: 185 yards
Blue: 147 yards Green: 130 yards Red: 125 yards
This challenging par 3 leaves no room for error. The green is large and severely undulated with deep bunkers short and right.

http://www.rivercrossinggolfclub.com...rse_layout.htm

In The Bag:
R7 425 10.5 Fujikara ReAx stiff
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
Rescue Dual 16 deg 3i hyb
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

Go try PGA West Stadium Course's 230 yarder. Water surrounds 2/3rds of the thing. I was 2 under par last time I stepped up to the tee of the hole. Needless to say, I was no longer 2under after...

A local course, Robinsons Ranch, has a 245yarder. That's just dumb!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Im playing a course on Tuesday in Saratoga Springs, NY that has a 250 yard par 3 from the tips. 230 from the whites.
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

http://www.mcgregorlinks.com/course.htm

Im sorry 256 yard par 3. Hole 11. Longest ive ever seen.

• Administrator

Gee, I love the playing tip: Hole 11: Par 3 "Troon"

Playing Tip: Althogh this is a par3, three here is considered a birdie by most. What a tip! Wow, that'll help me score well.

Played at an alumni outing in Sheboygan Falls, WI ( www.golfthebull.com ) and had a par three at 214 from the whites (236 from the Bull Tees). Last year hit a three wood (nice cold April day into the wind - had the right distance but pulled left) and this year hit my 19* hybrid (nice duck hook about 3/4 way there ).

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Grande Dunes in Myrtle has a par 3 over 250 from tips.Then again from the tips the course plays 7700 yards so why bitch about only one hole.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• 2 weeks later...

this thread makes me laugh....at my course there are two par 4s that are 254 yards and 247... the first one is straight downhill, its great for sledding in the winter...

then again the course rating isnt 32.4 for nothing

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

Check out hole 11 here: http://www.thornapplegolf.com/scorecard.html . It plays mainly into the prevailing wind to boot (L-R into the player). It's not a great course, but that hole will get your attention.

No question ... a 230 yard par 3 for the pros should really not present much of a problem on average. I mean, they get to tee it, and they don't even have to swing hard.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Note: This thread is 6535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!