IGNORED

Big Bertha Diablo Fairway Wood

Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was interested in getting the diablo fairway wood because of the promotion Callaway is offering. Does anyone have experience using or demoing them? Is the neutral a square face or is it open like the driver? I appreciate the feedback.

In My Ping Hoofer 3 Team Bag:
Driver - R9 460 with Aldila ReAx 60 g
3 Wood - :titleist 909f2 with Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Hybrid - 585H 19 degree with Graphite Design YS 85
Irons - AP1 4-PW with TTDGHL S300 Wedges - Vokey SM Tour Chrome 54.11 & 58.08 Putter - Circa 62 No. 3 Ball - ProV1...

I personally have always liked Callaway woods. However, I hate the look of the new Diablo drivers and woods. I thought both 'looked' closed in the neutral bias (even though I know in driver is supposed to be .5* open). The woods look really closed to me. They did feel OK to hit, but I just don't think I could ever get over the look of the headshape. A friend of mine hit both at a demo day (outside) and said both had great distance and ball flight. I only hit them on a simulator and only for a few balls because I knew the look was going to prevent me from buying them.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I demoed the 3 wood a few weeks ago. I tried it on the range and, I was able to borrow it for 2 rounds. I thought it was perhaps the easiest 3 wood to get up in the air off the fairway I've ever hit. It performed equally well off the tee.

Now the one I demoed was a draw model. I have not hit the non draw wood, but I intend to do just that tomorrow. I will choose one then, although I doubt I will hit the neutral model any better than I hit the draw. My guess is that I will end up with the draw version.

The wood does appear a bit closed but, this doesn't bother me as it might some. I like the shaft: I can load it easily and the weight works well for me. I am replacing a 16 degree hybrid with this club. While I hit the 16 degree hybrid well, I am hoping for a bit more distance from the Diablo because of the longer shaft. The key element for me with this club is the consistency of good ball strikes I have enjoyed with it. It seems as easy to hit as the hybrid it is replacing, but a little longer off the tee and fairway because of the longer shaft.

In any event, I have really enjoyed getting to know this club.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!