IGNORED

Legitimate Question concerning NIKE

Donnie_Brasco
Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Imagine what would happen to their putter sales if Tiger switched to a Nike. Not saying it will happen, but just imagine if it did.

Paul

Driver G5 10.5º
Woods 3, 5 X FAIRWAY WOODS
Hybrid Bobby Jones Golf H4 HYBRIDIrons X-18 4-PWWedges 54º X-Forged 60º 588 RS putter Anser

Imagine what would happen to their putter sales if Tiger switched to a Nike. Not saying it will happen, but just imagine if it did.

I don't think he'll ever drop that putter - hell, it looks like he's never even had it refinished.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Let me see if I understand the question.......

I agree... many people will continue to play what works regardless of names,

News flash: Tiger's been with Nike since 1996. They didn't have a full line of golf products in 1996, but they have had them for quite a few years now.

No kidding... some people in this thread make it sound like Nike Golf just hit the market last year or last week.

I suspect that Nike has earned their stake in the golf marketshare. They make decent product and have the perfect poster child. In no way will this make them dominate.

exactly... as some people have already said, they will NOT dominate, but they may increase or decrease their market share with new product releases.

just a note: Some people will always absolutely refuse to play Nike because they hate the brand, and Nike probably has this problem more than other traditional golf companies. Take that for what it's worth... sure it doesn't mean they are not or won't be succesful, but it does stand in the way of dominance. Why does the OP even think that the golf market CAN be dominated... I personally don't think it will happen, by any company, EVER.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

But Im guessing within the next 5 years, Nike will own the Golf Club Industry, thats my opinion...

Everyone has an opinion, thanks for sharing yours.

If everyone were influenced by marketing and superstar endorsements, then you are probably right. My life experience indicates that that is rarely the case. Personally, after buying several pairs of Nike sneakers that fell apart in a very short time, I myself would be unlikely to purchase anymore Nike products.

I think its entirely possible, just like any other market ( I speak of the consumer market not the pro level.) Dont know about a time frame but it is completely possible.

Eventually the people who played with Titleist forever will become the peoples whos first set was Nike and they loved them so theyll always buy them. The people buying the high dollar set will be the people who grew up with Nike. Things can always change, and I think if one company was suited for it here, Id say Nike. And Im a callaway guy.

Look at something different for insight. The auto industry for example. Who used ot dominate and lead in innovation..... GM. Guess what? Look at Olds. It was one of the oldest car companies with a history of innovation and technological achievement, then they kinda just started resting on their laurels and while everyone else was attracting new young customers, they werent, and Boom they are gone.

The vast majority of people who buy things like clubs or cars, do them for the wrong reasons, not because it is the best suited for them. Cars for example. There is a common misconception, that imports are more reliable than domestics. Or are just better cars. Wrong. Almost every automaker has its goods and bads, and working in a shop I see this. Sure one car may be slightly more reliable but did you ever take into consideration repair costs if something breaks?

This is the same with clubs, for some players a certain brand may be best and for others a different brand, but the number of consumers who actually make educated purchases is very small. And Nike is in a position to greatly benift from that, especially with all the new golfers who grew up with nike and are buying they first set or their first new set.

My question, and I think the answer is Yes, is, is Nike Golf stuff getting better? They have the money for research and technology which is key for golfers now. They market very well as everybody is saying. And they seem to run their business well in the sense of... they seem to have the power to be able to put smaller companies out of business or just buy them out. I agree that I don't think they are going monopolize golf or anything but... to see them become the dominant player in golf equipment wouldn't be a shock at all.

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

First of all, I don't see any company dominating the industry any time soon. Enough parity still remains (even with Tiger around).
Second of all, Tiger is not going to play forever. I think his father actually said once that he thinks Tiger will retire far sooner than most expect him to. When that happens, Nike's market share will surely slip.
Finally, there are people out there who avoid Nike because Tiger endorses it. Certainly not a majority, but some.

There is no question that Nike will have a presence from now on because of the generation of players that grew up watching Tiger dominate with Nike equipment, but I don't think that'll translate into "owning the market"

The Nike brand was and is built on marketing backed up with state of the art technology. I don't expect them to dominate the golf equipment market simply because they are a relatively new player in a field of established companies. But they have certainly made their prescence known and their competition will definitely be factoring Nike in on their future plans/product lines. I happen to like Nike golf products, but I can't say that they are intrinsically better than other companies products. I bought mine primarily because they are geared toward the more forgiving side and because of price. I was shopping for what I specifically wanted and the Nike stuff I've got fit the bill and was at a competative price point.

Well stated....I acted accordingly for the same reasons.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

If anyone has the position to overtake Acushnet's dominance, it's Callaway.

Nike still doesn't have a decent line of balls, putters, or wedges, and only their tour irons are worth a damn. For all the talk about driver updates and everything else, I think at the end of the day, every decent-sized company has a decent driver and the standouts are more mental than actual.

Nike makes great shoes and great clothes, though.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

What if Callaway somehow were to land Tiger? Would they then pull to the front of the pack in sales/popularity?

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I think there are a lot of purists that responded in this thread.

I personally prefer Callaway, although I love my Nike Hybrids.

But Nike is the richest of the companies mentioned, they literally just focused in on golf equipment, or so it seems. They won't half-ass anything, so they're are gonna sink a lot of money into development, testing. Their product has a lot of room to grow, and with Tiger on board for atleast another 10 years, think about how much the equipment will improve during that stretch.

they already make some of the trendiest looking clothing, shoes, and bags. young kids recogonize the swoosh, tiger ect.. So when parents and kids are out buyin g there 1st sets more than likely they will be purchasing NIKE. So that will grow their market share tremendously.

It's a very subjective question, I was just curious to some opinions from this board.. As I type this tnt has aired the new animated Tiger commercial 2 times.. LOL

they literally just focused in on golf equipment, or so it seems. They won't half-ass anything, so they're are gonna sink a lot of money into development, testing.

I'm not disagreeing that they make some great clothing (I love their pants, shoes, and shirts) and some really good clubs (the pro combo tours are still some of my favorite irons ever), but read that statement again and try to figure out what's not right... I'll give you a second... All golf companies just focus on golf equipment. They all spend a lot on R&D.; It's not like Nike is alone here. Nike is a diversified company, unlike Acushnet. They don't focus solely on golf.

Call me biased after looking at my sig and seeing what I play. Whatever. I see Bridgestone, Mizuno, and other smaller-share brands having a better chance at grabbing market share than Nike at really taking over the scene. It's just not going to happen for Nike. I don't care that they have Tiger. They have a long way to go and seem to discontinue their best clubs (forged pro combo tours, forged CCIs, original blades...).

I think there are a lot of purists that responded in this thread.

Nike is a giant company that has growth sectors much larger than golf where increased market share is more valuable. Why would they bother? All they have to do is keep their #1 star happy and they'll make their money on their drivers and softgoods.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

Anyone pick up how Nike is everywhere in The Haney Project? I mean, I know Charles Barkley signed with Nike as a Basketball player, but everyone is wearing like a Nike hat, Nike shirt, hitting Nike Clubs.

Like even the obscure characters are sporting the swoosh...like the massage/stretch woman...

just a note: Some people will always absolutely refuse to play Nike because they hate the brand, and Nike probably has this problem more than other traditional golf companies. Take that for what it's worth... sure it doesn't mean they are not or won't be succesful, but it does stand in the way of dominance.

I was thinking about this the other day and I have a follow up to it...Do people here actually hate/avoid Nike golf? I don't know anyone around my age (I'm 23) who hates Nike. Nike is perceived pretty well by people around my age...are Nike haters Tiger haters? Because if that's the case I figure they'd be passed over through time.

I was thinking about this the other day and I have a follow up to it...Do people here actually hate/avoid Nike golf? I don't know anyone around my age (I'm 23) who hates Nike. Nike is perceived pretty well by people around my age...are Nike haters Tiger haters? Because if that's the case I figure they'd be passed over through time.

No, not all Nike haters are Tiger haters... most are not Tiger haters... but I have seen threads on this board and others where people HATE Nike for whatever reason. Some hate the labor practices used by Nike, some just hate the brand in general, others are traditionalists. I personally think Nike makes some good clubs, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if they worked best for me... but SOME people will NEVER buy a NIKE product, period.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

ask any kid thats younger than a teen to name a golfer (even if the kid doesnt play) and usually the first name they mention is tiger...
all my nephews are tiger wannabe's and wear nike from head to toe even if their parents cant stand the brand... my brother is a callaway and ping guy... my nephew refuses to wear that stuff...
kids on the course... its rare to see them slinging another brands stuff...
right now their parents are buying them the nike gear they want... wait till they get old enough to buy it on their own...
tiger/nike is to beginner golfers as hannah montana is to kiddies otherwise...
like it or not id think they are making a killing with the kids
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!