IGNORED

Rangefinder or GPS....wheres the best money spent?

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. GPS or Laser Rangefinder....where is you money going?

• Rangefinder
    • GPS unit
    • already have a laser but am buying a gps unit
    • already have a gps but want to get a laser

I really liked Dad's Medallist with Pinseeker. It was easy to use.

Before I shell out any $$$$ I'd like to try the 1600 series as well as the Leupold units. I think the maginfication may be a bit higher on these and maybe other features, too.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

There's a big difference between 6x and 7x manification. I used to have the 1500 +/- and I could pick up small objects from 200+yds away that I can't do now with the Yardage Pro. I stuck with the yardage pro because it's smaller and it's tournament legal.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

• 2 weeks later...
So I went with a rangefinder (Bushnell medalist), and I'm pretty pumped with my decision. I don't know if i have seen an improvement in my game because of it, but it does help me pick a club and feel comfortable.

First time out with it my buddy was hitting to a pin on a sharp dogleg (tough to get yardage from markers). I told him he had 135 yards to the pin. he was NOT a believer, and told me he thought it looked like 145-150 ish. But he trusted me, pulled 9i instead of 8i, and stuck it 5 feet short of a back pin. Saved him at least 2 strokes.

One thing I didn't think about when buying this is that I would really learn how far I hit a club. I now realize I'm about a half club, or 5 yards, shorter than I thought I was. Another unforeseen benefit.

After using one, I'm definitely a believer in Rangefinders.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

So I went with a rangefinder (Bushnell medalist), and I'm pretty pumped with my decision. I don't know if i have seen an improvement in my game because of it, but it does help me pick a club and feel comfortable.

I have the Medalist as well. This is the first "full" season I've used it. I find it to be fantastic. The Pinseeker works great for flags with hills and trees behind them. I haven't seen a flag yet that I couldn't measure.

I also like to shoot the group ahead to see if they're out of range or not on Par 5's, and to measure any of their large drives. I like the magnification feature to see if any of my buddies have marked the par 3 greens for CP competitions. Plus, you can check out cart babes! I also use it at the range, before even pulling a club I check the distances of the flags and signs. I think you'll find the battery life phenomenal. If it's anything like my old Bushnell 450, the 9 volt battery should last for a long, long time. Welcome to the club!

• 4 weeks later...
Well personally i use a 25$ app on my iphone and it works VERY well. I can get a yardage to any point and its only 25$$$$.

I tried an iphone app and found it inconsistent on distances. I also thought it took too much time, it would time out. If I got a call or a text while it was asleep it would bump me out of the program.

For my vote if it is Iphone app or nothing go with Iphone. If it is Iphone or full blown GPS I pick GPS. I went with the upro. It is too soon to fully judge (1 round) but I think it is going to be a winner.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 years later...

I've tried the smartphone based GolfLogix and it works fine. But I've just purchased a Nikon Riflehunter 550 6x21 rangefinder after studying the differences between the 550 and the Bushnell v2 Tour.

Reasons -- Foremost, because I work at a computer all day and I go to the golf course, in large part, to get away from work and "screens." Constantly handling the phone leaves me with a cold sense of never leaving the office because inevitably a text message will pop up or the phone will chime the arrival of an email.

Beyond that --

6x magnification in the Nikon vs 5x in the Tour

Nikon optics -- my oldest daughter and youngest son in law are both very successful professional photographers and Nikon is about all they use.

Finally, I am a recreational golfer and never have nor will entertain any thought of tournament play. The "tour certified" verbiage on the Bushnell or other golf specific units is not really a selling point for me.

As a contribution to the brain trust I'll do a review of the 550 after I've played a few rounds on my home course. I don't know all of the sprinkler head yardage markers by heart, but I do know their locations on the course. So I'll shoot an azimuth from the markers and make notes on the + or - factors of the distances.

I have both... Bushnell V2  Laser Rangefinder & GolfBuddy Platinum GPS.

I use the GPS more & if i need a precise distance to the pin I use the laser.

For my golf the GPS is accurate enough. Most times knowing the distance to within 3 yards is good enough for me,

Also, GolfBuddy GPS has worldwide courses with no subsciption fees. Besides the US & Canada, I've used it in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Trinidad and soon to use it in New Zealand

i have both golfbuddy GPS and Bushnell v2. I have been using the V2 alot more and only use the GPS for estimates to fairway bunkers....

Driver: Cobra ZL Encore 10.5*

Irons: Mizuno MX-200 4-GW

I have a SkiCaddie SGXw GPS and a Leupold GX-2 rangefinder. Normally I use the GPS because its easier than the rangefinder however I carry both. The rangefinder adjusts for the slop - really good on uphill / downhill greens. My daughter gave me a Garmin S2 GPS watch for Father's Day - now this thing is really easy! No fumbling with gadgets - no point & shoot - just look at the watch. It is very accurate. Arrive at the course - turn on the GPS setting & your course pops up. The only con the battery will only last one round - so I have read. I came home last week from a round & laid the watch on the table but left the GPS on - the battery lasted several hours. Maybe not be the same since the GPS wasn't actively reading distance. The watch will be the equipment I will use going forward. Take a look at a GPS watch also

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is like four years old and the Bushnell Medalist Pinseeker everyone is referring to is still like $250, probably a sign that it truly is a good product, but I was hoping maybe I could get it on the cheap now. Anyone had any success with anything a little less expensive?

I haven't liked any cell phone apps I've used because they drain the battery and seem to be too much of a hassle/work while I'm trying to play.

I have 2 bushnell gps's one for my travel and one for my regular bag, imho unless you are that good and accurate with aproach shots. and/or play tournament level golf front / middle / back of green is enough for most applications, for courses with lateral water hazards that I walk I load the updated gps info from igolf and away I go. personally I think gps is quicker and pace friendly as you can get a feel for the distance as you walk or ride to your ball. The only times I overshoot the runway its not because of wrong gps readings, its either a thin shot or too much of a swing for the distance, but that is the indian not the arrow or gps unit.

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!