IGNORED

Hardest hole or holes you have ever played.

Note: This thread is 5611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are yours?

Mine would have to be the par-3 number 16 at my home course, with the difficult pin in. It is over 215 yards to an island green. When they put the pin in the front right, it isn't too hard, but in the mid-left position, you literally have only a few feet of landing area. Add that to the fact that it is a steep downhill and there is usually wind blowing for some reason. And, if you hit it into the water, you have to pitch from a nearly immposible drop zone about 60 yards behind the hole. Can you say quadruple bogey? I'd say amen corner #12 has nothing on that.

Honorable mention would be #18 at TPC sawgrass. I played a tournament there last year, and the first time I played that hole, I made par after missing the fairway and the GIR. The second time, I pulled my drive into the water, and ended up making a 10. A 10! I would have finished in the top 5 were it not for the final hole.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

a 600+ yard par 5 with 2 steams running through the middle of the fairway, part downhill, part uphill, at a goat ranch of a course about 20 miles away from me

also, the 265 yard par 3 at my home course. its ridiculous. takes a driver to get there and the green is kidney shaped and very shallow making it difficult to keep the ball on the green (you have to land it short of the green usually)

#9 at Rivers edge in North carolina.Par 5 River all down left side woods all down right side and kind of island green to boot.It has cost me many balls over the years.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

the only hard one I can remember is hole 9 at my home course. 445 yard par 4, with a narrow drive with the aqua range on the left, and trees on the right. After your drive, theres a narrow strip of land about 10 yards wide with the aqua range still on the left and a pond on the right and then opens up to the green. You'll be happy with par on this hole.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I golfed this hole where the green was surrounded by water and you could only land on the green and you had to walk on this little path to get on the green. I hit it in the water twice and got a 9 on that hole :(

Whats in the bag?
Driver: King Cobra SPD 9*
Hybrid: Callaway X 21*
Irons: 4-pw Callaway x18
Putter: Looking for a Odyssey SabertoothBall: Titlest NxT Tour with custom logo of my highschool mascot

The seventh hole at Hampton Golf Village in Cumming, GA, is a 600-yard par 5 that drops 100 feet in elevation from tee to green. The tee is very elevated, and a gully crosses the fairway about 300 yards from the tips. For anyone not playing from the back, that gully takes a driver out of play and forces a fairway wood or long iron off the tee. The landing area is also steeply downhill, making a trecherous lie to hit a fairway wood off the deck; because the green is well over 300 yards away, though, the average player doesn't have a choice.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

#18 at Ko'olau I guess. Par 4 with 2 forced carries, hardest hole on the "Hardest course in the nation". I missed a 4 footer for par after my girlfriend took a flash picture in the dying twilight as i was about to hit the ball... But she took me on the trip so all is forgiven!
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

One of the toughest for me when I was growing up was #1 on the Red Course at Bethpage. A long par four, that plays uphill to a postage stamp sized green.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

Let me put this in context, I'm about 235-250 off the tee, so, for me this hole is my nemesis. Number 8, a 463 yard par 5 (from the Whites) at LW Clapp here in Wichita. Tee off over 2 creeks @ 90 and 180 yards out, a third creek at 260 yards. So if your jacked, you could hit your drive so well you end up in the third creek, choke and you end up in the second creek. Oh, and to add to the experience it is tree lined, kinda like #18 at Augusta with the first tree on the right about 20 yards out. So 3 creeks and about 20 yards of gap to shot through. So a nice 240 yard drive gives you another 220 shot (7 wood) to the green (so you feel like a pansy if you lay up, and exactly how do you hit pw and then pw again, on a par 5, and retain any sense of manhood?) Then the third creek turns and heads straight toward the green on the left, and of course the area slopes that way too. The green is an oval about the size of a mini van and a vw parked side by side. Last Tuesday I'm 1 over par standing on the tee, you can guess how this ends. I'm not a violent man but I just managed to put the putter into the bag before I did something I'd regret. I drew the snowman on my card and walked away. Next time out (Friday), I birdied it, If I weren't so darn consistent I'd give the game up! ... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

I think number 10, a Par 3, at Pine Valley (NJ)... and it's only a 9 iron, maybe a low spin 8, from the tee (140-145 yards.) Numbers 13, 14, and 15 are thought by some to be the hardest consecutive 3 holes in golf, but number 10 allows no miss at all. You don't have to be long to be difficult. The trap in front of the green (famously known as D.A.H) is the most difficult trap in all of golf. I can't give you its name... this is a public forum.

At least on the famous Par 3 hole at Sawgrass you can hit it in the water and still make a bogey or double bogey because your third shot is from a decent drop area. On Pine Valley's number 10, a miss can cost you double digits because you may have no shot at all and no good drop options. You are encouraged to just keep hacking at it until you find a way to end the hole.

In the club's history book, there is an account of a single digit handicapper who turned the front nine in 38 strokes and then took 38 strokes to hole out on number 10. The philosophy of "play it as it lies" is historically significant at this fabled club, thought by many as the hardest golf course in the world. The first time you play it is the most comfortable... because after that, the next time is filled with fear. Augusta speed greens without the generous landing areas off the tee. Fair, but absolutely horrific if you miss a shot.

Pine Valley is better than every story you may have heard about it.

RC

One of the toughest for me when I was growing up was #1 on the Red Course at Bethpage. A long par four, that plays uphill to a postage stamp sized green.

The #16 or #17 on Black is so much harder! The 200+ yard par 3.

« Keith »

Yeah #1 on the Red is one of the toughest opening holes around but it is tough because you are comming out swinging your ass off.Personally I think #5 on the Black is the toughest hole on the course.I know the card says 15 but 5 is a bear to hit the green in reg is very rare.I think #6 on the Blue course is the toughest hole in all of Bethpage.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

there are two holes locally that i think are pretty tough. one is #5 at pine valley (north little rock) - it's a 175 yard par 3 with the tee box on a cliff overlooking a pond/small lake, and the green is a smallish peninsula jutting out from the opposite side of the water, so you have water on 3 sides of the green, and a creek running behind it, so you're either on the green or you're wet. no real room for error on that hole. the green itself is probably only 30 feet across and about 50 feet long, so a fairly small target to aim for. i've actually gotten pretty good at playing this hole. several of my friends are always on about how "one day i'm going to hit that green," and i manage to hit it about half the time probably.

another is #9 at the hindman course in little rock. this hole is just not even fair. it's a par 4 about 445 yards long, and there's this canyon/depression thing surrounding the entire green except for the very back. from the bottom of this depression to the green is probably an elevation difference of 30 feet, and from where the fairway begins to descend down into this depression (it's a pretty sudden drop-off) to the green is a good 40 yards across. in essence, you have to carry your second shot onto the green itself, because if you land short of it, you're just going to thud into the hillside and roll all the way back down into that depression. the entire hole slopes ever so gently upwards, save for the depression obviously, so while it's marked at 445, it probably plays closer to 460-470. getting onto the green in two is next to impossible, considering that even a solid 275 yard drive is only getting you about halfway there and you're still looking at a fairway wood to get you home. the safest way i've found to play it is lay up short of where the fairway begins to descend and then just hope you can get up and down from 50-60 yards out. not once in five years have i hit that green in regulation.

a 600+ yard par 5 with 2 steams running through the middle of the fairway, part downhill, part uphill, at a goat ranch of a course about 20 miles away from me

You forgot to mention that on the Par 3... you have to carry 240 yards over water.

Which par 5 are your referring to?

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I think number 10, a Par 3, at Pine Valley (NJ)... and it's only a 9 iron, maybe a low spin 8, from the tee (140-145 yards.) Numbers 13, 14, and 15 are thought by some to be the hardest consecutive 3 holes in golf, but number 10 allows no miss at all. You don't have to be long to be difficult. The trap in front of the green (famously known as D.A.H) is the most difficult trap in all of golf. I can't give you its name... this is a public forum.

i've got a video of byron nelson and gene littler duking it out at pine valley back in the 60s. that course beats up on both of them pretty good - nelson wins with (i think) 4 over par. number 5 was the one that got littler, he took either a 7 or an 8 on that hole.

The 3rd at Scottish Meadows in Warren, MA is a 440 yard straight uphill par 4. I played a match there with my team's number one. He averages about 300 yards off of the tee. He hit driver, 4i and still was 15 yards short. I hit driver, 5 wood and was shorter than he was.

Also the 9th at Highfields in Grafton, MA is a beast. About 600 yards with a narrow fairway and OB left and right.

Note: This thread is 5611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!