IGNORED

Need help getting more elevation from my driver

rckwd
Note: This thread is 5523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My driver is last years 10.5* TM Burner with stock "S" shaft, Top-Flight Gamer ball, I carry the ball 275+, my swing speed is 90+. ( I have no problems getting my long irons or 3&5 elevated.)

We have this 338yd par 4 that looks like an ant hill. It goes straight up and straight back down. Most of my friends clear the top and birdie out but I hit right at the top and do good to par. I desperately need to clear this hill. I could shave two strokes off my round with this one simple fix.

I have tried teeing the ball more forward but I loose a bit of control; my fade then turns into a slice and I still dont get the elevation.

Any suggestions? New shaft; what kind? New ball; what kind? Can a fitter tweek the head for a little more loft?

Thanks

Tim

Try flattening out your plane a bit with the driver. I did that recently and it changed my trajectory dramatically.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Try flattening out your plane a bit with the driver. I did that recently and it changed my trajectory dramatically.

When you went to your TM driver, did notice if if flew flatteer than your old driver?

What happens if you come off the tee with your 3W? If you have the distance, you'll definitely have the loft, right? And with some pretty sweet roll down the other side you should be in pretty good shape.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

What happens if you come off the tee with your 3W? If you have the distance, you'll definitely have the loft, right? And with some pretty sweet roll down the other side you should be in pretty good shape.

Yep..tried it....still cant get enough. It hits right at the top of the hill.

If you are driving the ball 275+, are you getting a lot of roll or something? If you are consistently hitting that far (and straight) then the shaft may be the issue (or at least help the issue). I've noticed a lot of the newer shafts are 'stiffer' than some of the older models because of the lower torque. I lost some height when I started looking at new drivers. I have always played a stiff shaft with 9.5* loft, but when I bought my latest driver I had to go with a 10.5 to get the launch angle close to what I was used to. It might be worth your time to look for a shaft with a lower kickpoint (or higher launch angle). I liked the flight of the Alidila DVS (I think that's the models - it's the orange one). I have also tried the Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 and 5.5. I really disliked the ball flight with the 6, but the 5.5 is much better. I would like to try the 5 as well, but haven't had a chance.

My recommendations - lessons and/or a driver shaft fitting.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

If you are driving the ball 275+, are you getting a lot of roll or something? If you are consistently hitting that far (and straight) then the shaft may be the issue (or at least help the issue). I've noticed a lot of the newer shafts are 'stiffer' than some of the older models because of the lower torque. I lost some height when I started looking at new drivers. I have always played a stiff shaft with 9.5* loft, but when I bought my latest driver I had to go with a 10.5 to get the launch angle close to what I was used to. It might be worth your time to look for a shaft with a lower kickpoint (or higher launch angle). I liked the flight of the Alidila DVS (I think that's the models - it's the orange one). I have also tried the Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 and 5.5. I really disliked the ball flight with the 6, but the 5.5 is much better. I would like to try the 5 as well, but haven't had a chance.

You see...my drives start out real low, then takes off like a rocket.

How can I try different shafts with my driver without going thru all that cost? BTW...I didnt have this problem with my old Burner Bubble and it was a 9.5*

Have you tried teeing up your ball slightly higher and slight changes in your tee positions?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Have you tried teeing up your ball slightly higher and slight changes in your tee positions?

I have...I already tee the ball up 1.5" where half of the ball is above my clubhead....any higher and I fear I would sky it.

I'm not saying it'll work for you, but I have the same model Burner TP with S shaft as you, and I tee the ball so almost all of it is above the clubhead. I tend to get exactly the launch I want and I sky about 1 in 150ish. I think you might be surprised by what you get.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

You see...my drives start out real low, then takes off like a rocket.

Based on your statement about the Burner Bubble ball flight being good it does sound like it might be the shaft (or else your swing has changed). There isn't a perfect way to try other shafts without possibly going to a fitter or retailer and trying the same club with different shafts that they have available. I have done this with Golf Galaxy - found the club with different shafts and tested them on simulator (I even did this on launch monitor once). If you can find a location that has the Taylor Made fitting cart they can easily help you. Those carts have the club heads that will interchange with various shafts for your testing. I don't know where you would find one, but I'm sure in Georgia they are available somewhere. I know there are a couple of PGA Superstores in the state. This link might help (it's a search for Taylor Made fitting locations):

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/lowerl...0&IsPopUp;=0#70
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Based on your statement about the Burner Bubble ball flight being good it does sound like it might be the shaft (or else your swing has changed). There isn't a perfect way to try other shafts without possibly going to a fitter or retailer and trying the same club with different shafts that they have available. I have done this with Golf Galaxy - found the club with different shafts and tested them on simulator (I even did this on launch monitor once). If you can find a location that has the Taylor Made fitting cart they can easily help you. Those carts have the club heads that will interchange with various shafts for your testing. I don't know where you would find one, but I'm sure in Georgia they are available somewhere. I know there are a couple of PGA Superstores in the state. This link might help (it's a search for Taylor Made fitting locations):

Thanks bud I will check it out

ball position and hitting on the upswing will help elevate the drive.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

sounds like you are hitting down on the driver just a bit. To get the ball higher, you will have to make a few adjustments, but you might lose control like you said. For that one hole you can tee it high and try to hit is as high as you can and play the slice. But I would not change my swing for one hole.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

90+ swing speed and 275 carry does not add up. Anyway stay back on it, fire your hips but stay behind the ball.

Well I am quessing at the swing speed...but I do know that usually with my carry and roll I get 275+ or more. Like Sunday...I hit from the back tees on this 495yd, par 5.

When I got to my ball it was a few feet from the 200yd mardker which would have left a 295yd carry and roll. So on that shot I know I hit it a little over 275. I know my swing speed is slightly higher....I am just quessing at the swing speed.

Note: This thread is 5523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!