IGNORED

Sorry for the rant, but...

denver_nuggs_15
Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I golfed today with 3 friends and we got a match. We were even through 9, even through 18, so we decided to play 9 more to decide the winner. So, we did, and I played like crap...actually putted like crap. I had 2 4-putts (which are inexcusable I know) in a situation where a 3-putt would tie and a 2-putt would win. We ended up losing the match after four putt (where I had a GIR too) and I was pissed. Like I almost through my putter in a lake and then realized it was my fault, so I contemplated jumping in myself. I'll start this next part off by saying it takes a lot to get me to curse or yell or throw a club or get very angry on the course (or anywhere actually).

I didn't even play the last hole and I just walked straight to the green. Then on the way, I heard the other guys talking some trash behind my back about how much I suck and how I was in one hole since the 9th hole (which isn't true...especially since my partner hit 2 OB drives on the final 9 and I hit the green on both of those holes) and all this other crap. I was already pretty angry and this just through me over the edge. I just decided to walk off because I really didn't feel like talking to any of them at that point. The walk was freakishly long to the club house, so they asked if I wanted a ride...in the cart that I had already abandoned at the tee. I had a few parting words with them, and while I was never seriously considering throwing a punch, I did come close.

Just things I don't understand:
1. Talking trash behind someone's back when they can hear it. I'm a big boy; I can handle pretty much anything that anyone can dish out. And I might talk a little back jokingly, but everyone knows I'd never get into a fight over silly words. And my freaking partner talked trash about me too. WTF! Either say it to my face or don't say it at all. Or don't be a dumbass and say it so I can hear it. And don't expect that, after I alone lost the match, that I won't be pissed about what you have to say about me.
2. How on God's green earth can someone 4-putt twice in one 9? I guess I didn't have any 3-putts, but 4-putts...COME ON! And I'm not a terrible golfer by any means.
3. Understandably, they asked me for a ride back to the clubhouse. They insisted that I ride back with them since the walk would take about 7 minutes. I declined like a stubborn ass parly because I didn't feel like talking to any of them at that point and because I needed to think about what happened (golf-wise). What I don't understand is how they denied talking trash and then didn't understand why I was a little angry with them.

Any help with these? Anyone go through the same thing? Comments?

I needed somewhere to post this, sorry.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Better learn to deal with bad play less seriously. Its not like you're on tour or making a living off of it. Remember, you haven't shot your worst score.

oh, and that's why your "friends" were teasing you; they knew you were bothered about it so you became an easy target.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

i would've socked 'em dead in the mouth. lol. i've never dealt with my friends talking crap behind my back, but 1 of them is deadly in talking shit to my face..lol

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I have the best kind of close friends. The kind that have the balls to tell me what I dont want to hear, straight to my face. Im more than happy to do the same for them.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• Administrator
Just things I don't understand:

If they were talking so loud that you can hear it it's not really "behind your back." Just because they're literally "behind" you doesn't quite mean the same thing.

Grow up, and either talk trash back (not that it sounds like you were in a position to do so), or tell them to shut up.
And don't expect that, after

Perhaps I'm blaming your reaction a bit more because you called it "talking trash." You didn't write that they were making fun of you or otherwise being really rude. Talking trash is a typical guy thing. Among a few select (some of my best) friends, we talk trash like it's our job. Doesn't matter the sport - hell, we'll talk trash about someone's favorite breakfast cereal if the topic comes up.

But "talking trash" is something friends do, and you seem to have a poor ability to deal with it. If they were actually just being rude asshats, that's different, but "talking trash" to me is something you shouldn't let get to you. If you can't handle the trash talk, btw, let your sticks the next time do the talking. I personally love trash talk - it really makes me focus. P.S. And one more time: if "talking trash" is something different to you than me, most of what I've said is probably irrelevant.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think a lot of people have a tendancy to hit an easy target. From the nature of your post and the self described play, you were already in your head. They just took the easy shots.

I think if you re-read your post you can see how your 4-putted twice. You got outside your game when the pressure was up and instead of re-focusing you let others completely eat you up.

If you can find a way to redirect what you were feeling into your game you should have come out ahead.

Regards,
-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

its ok, i played badly today too. I am just getting back to golf after missing a month because of a back injury. I shot an 87 (+15), and hit 43% of the fairways, hit 33% of GIR's, had 29 putts which is good, and made 26% of my up and downs. HORRIBLE. i cannot stand playing badly, i want to get back to my normal consistant self of shooting around 79-83.

Sorry, dude. We all have days where we throw a match. Sometimes it costs us a lot of money and sometimes it is pocket change, but it still hacks us off just the same. That being said, there are times that someone is really pissed and we needle him just to make it worse. Asking if they want a ride back in when you know full well they want to walk is like a stab in the back. We have all done it to each other. You have to have thick skin to play in our group..... there is no mercy. If you don't like it, then you have a few options... 1) don't play with us. 2) no matter how bad you play, have a good attitude and enjoy the game 3) suck it up and take it like a man and when you are the one playing good you can heckle the ones playing bad. After all it's all in jest and fun.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I didn't even play the last hole and I just walked straight to the green.

If you're going to throw the rattle out of the crib you can expect to be made fun of.

I know you're just venting - and fair enough - but when you refuse to play the final hole you shouldn't be surprised if people laugh at you. Be grateful that you played 26 holes - your mates played 27 - even better, but 26 holes of golf can't be too bad, can it?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Sounds like you were really, really pissed - at yourself. Funny how when we're playing well trash talking is motivation but when we're playing poorly it seems to confirm what we're thinking at that time (we suck!). Just try to remember that it was 1 round and the next one (or the next one) will be better. Cheers

First off, thanks for the responses.

P.S. And one more time: if "talking trash" is something different to you than me, most of what I've said is probably irrelevant.

It was more than trash talking. I guess I used the wrong term. Maybe "talking sh*t" is a better phrase. Like the kind of garbage that teenage girls say when someone else isn't around. And then act all buddy-buddy when that person that they just talked bad about is around. That's what pissed me off. If someone wants to say something about me, it's my business and should be said to me, not some other kid. And I blew 2 holes, but the other kid blew at least 4. No chance he can put the blame squarely on me. I guess it sounds a bit like finger pointing, but there's no way IMO that a

team loss can be blamed on one person. I take full responsibility for the 2 holes I made doubles on, but in all fairness to me, he wasn't even in play on those holes (or some others). And in fairness to him, I shouldn't have 4 putted (or even 3 putted) and he did win some holes for us.
If you're going to throw the rattle out of the crib you can expect to be made fun of.

I did hit the drive and it may have gone about 290-300 since I swung so hard, but I was just thinking about the round...mainly the 4-putts and what I'm going to do about them. And how my putting can go from alright on the first 18 to horrendous on the final 9. Part of the reason I walked though is because it was cart path only on the hole and my ball was far from the cart path, so I grabbed a couple clubs and walked. I also needed to vent a little.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

• Administrator
First off, thanks for the responses.

Yeah, that changes things, and is uncalled for. Just ask yourself why you're friends with these people anyway...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!