IGNORED

Smooth Your Nerve

xd3vilx
Note: This thread is 6544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How does you guys smooth your nerve during the first tee of a tournament?...Just want to compare you guy one with mine...

Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

It's a good question. Other than having a few drinks (not recommended), the only thing that worked for me was experience. After you play several tournaments, you get used to it.

However, if I ever played in something like a pro-am in front of cameras, I sure I'd get nervous all over again.
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

• Administrator
How does you guys smooth your nerve during the first tee of a tournament?...Just want to compare you guy one with mine...

A deep breath, and then I remember that I'll hit at least 71 more shots after the first one, so it's really not terribly important.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, it is just golf. Like it really matters anyway, right?

If it is "just golf" then I doubt you're playing in tournaments to win. And yes, it does matter unless you are playing some captains choice scramble for charity.

My advice....besides a bloody mary... is hit some range balls, step to the first tee, and rip it. The first tee is nowhere to put half attempt on a swing, or a place to try to guide the ball. If you normally fade the ball, play it that way. If you normally draw, play for it. This is not the place to try to create an unnatural shot for you, but to play to your strength.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I know I still haven't got it figured out because half the time I hit something a little squirelly off #1, but one thing I learned is that a few really hard practice swings helps work out some of the adrenaline and also helps to avoid that steer shot when you're just trying to get it in play. I was reading about Todd Coffey sprinting in out of the bullpen for the Reds to work off adrenaline - same idea I guess.

It's hard at some tourneys, but like someone said above, being able to hit 5 or 6 practice drives right before you go to the tee is nice too.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

If it is "just golf" then I doubt you're playing in tournaments to win. And yes, it does matter unless you are playing some captains choice scramble for charity.

COme on, you have to be kidding. Seriously, golf is a game. It is for your pleasure. Even when you are in a tournament, you can't let the competitiveness get the best of you. That is how you play bad.

Instead of playing golf you could be at work doing something that really matters...

I have the gitters big time in tournaments. The problem is I KNOW I'm capable of good golf and I want it SO bad that I get really intense. On shots that are normally cake for me, like say a 3 foot putt, I'm very nervous.

The more times you go through it and experience it the easier it gets.

forget about the people watching when its your turn to hit, pick a target, take a few practice swings and le tit rip. every swing should be the same,focus on your game nothing else.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 6544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!