IGNORED

i think im getting worse

wedge player
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i think im actually becoming a worse golfer.my iron game is letting me down,i just cant seem to make them do what i want anymore its frustrating,anyone else have this problem?if so how long did it take to get over it?

This game is all ups and downs. One day you are a hero the next you are a zero, nobody is an exception.

You are a golfer... slumps happen. Suggestions include visiting a good teaching pro, going to the range and hitting short shots and slow motion swings (removing all pressure and focusing only on solid contact,) trying to evaluate exactly what is causing the most problem and doing something differently for a while, and finally, taking a few days off and coming back without those thoughts of bad shots.

Is it short game or full shots? Are you miss-hitting the ball? Is your ball flight changing? Are you compensating by aiming left or right? The list is long, but having a qualified person look at your swing is a good place to start. Sometimes it is a little thing, and sometimes you might be better rebuilding from the start.

Trust me, every golfer has spells where they are going backward. These are learning times, so you can gain the knowledge to spot the problems and make on course corrections as needed. We both know all it takes is a few flush shots and the confidence and thrill comes roaring back -- better than ever.

RC

You are a golfer... slumps happen. Suggestions include visiting a good teaching pro, going to the range and hitting short shots and slow motion swings (removing all pressure and focusing only on solid contact,) trying to evaluate exactly what is causing the most problem and doing something differently for a while, and finally, taking a few days off and coming back without those thoughts of bad shots.

i was hitting flush i checked ball marks on irons they just liked hooking today

I've been sweating to break 100 for the last two months (usually in the low 90's and sometimes in the 80's). I was hitting tons of pulls and snap hooks. I figured out that I was not maintaining my spine angle and I was coming over the top. Once I got that under control, I shot 88 today (I actually figured it out on the 5th hole today). I was on the verge of selling my clubs and swearing off the game for good. Stay with it and seek some swing help if you are having trouble.

Seems like I take two steps backwards every couple of years. The good news is it always seems to turn around. I've had a poor several months but I also made equipment changes and had some dry stretches (no golf) where I couldn't be consistent when I came back. But now it seems I'm back, striking the ball great, putting really well. Now I just have to get on the course some more. It's a journey. Highs, lows, crazyness. Be patient, you'll come around.

You are a much better golfer than I but yeah, I'm going through some severe frustration to the point where it is inhibiting my desire to play and enjoy the game.

For me it started last season, about 3/4 of the way through. I shot an 80, a personal best. Since that time I don't feel I've played a single good round. I went from someone hitting mid 80's to mid 90's to now hitting mid to high 90's to low 100's.

Weird thing is I believe my technique to be better.

As a recently diagnosed diabetic I think it has a lot to do with it. Some days I just don't feel physically strong. Heck, today I was struggling to hit 100 yds with an 8 iron. Also went through a very stressfull year which culminated in getting laid off a week ago.

At this point I'm trying to stay positive. Trying to eat healthy and am going to start a daily workout routine very soon.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

You are a much better golfer than I but yeah, I'm going through some severe frustration to the point where it is inhibiting my desire to play and enjoy the game.

Sometimes we just let things like "a personal best.... etc, etc." get in the way of the real reason to be out there - Having fun. Sounds like with the things going on in your life - golf has gotten side tracked. You're doing the right things - life (and golf) will come around. Enjoy it while we've got it. Cheers & Good Luck

I have this same issue. My irons go back and forth, but seem to stay good in general, but if I miss a week here or there, it all goes downhill.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

Happens to me also and causes a lack of confidence which makes things worse. One remedy that mostly works for me is to deliberately try to make bad shots but taking a lesson is the best advice.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

The best advice is don't give up, you'll never improve then.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I started lessons 4 weeks ago and have gotten HORRID. My ball striking is worse, my misses are worse. The only thing better is my short game is coming back around.

Glad to hear you got your game back a little bit. Got a round tomorrow with my boss, hope mine does something better than it's been

It happens, the more you play the shorter your slumps will be. Sometimes it takes just a couple shots, much of it is confidence.

A couple weeks ago, I felt I was very close to getting back to a single digit handicap. I have played 3 times since then and only broken 90 once. I started getting very wild again, especially with the driver. My playing partner recognized that although the scoring wasn't there, my percentage of quality shots was way way up especially from 100 yards in. Its just my misses are so horrible, usually result in unplayable or penalty strokes. Sometimes we don't see these things in our own game.

Hang in there, its a fickle fickle game!

It's an interesting question. Assuming you shot a 90, would you be happier if you:
  1. Stuck the ball wonderfully but wasted a lot of shots around the green and missed putts
  2. Strugged from tee to green but saved strokes with excellent short shots and putts
I definitely go back and forth on this. It's a horrible feeling on the course when you can't hit the ball, but reflecting back on a round, a lot of times you just look at your score. Improving pitching and putting is the way to get your score down consistently.

i was hitting flush i checked ball marks on irons they just liked hooking today

That was me on Saturday. There is nothing worse than having a 9 iron in your hands on a 400+ par 4 and drawing/pulling/hooking it left of the green.

In my case it might be that my driver is 2* open and allows me to produce a gentle draw whereas my irons are slighty offset which will amplify the effects of a draw swing. What I need is irons that offer some gave improvement but have no offset.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

It's an interesting question. Assuming you shot a 90, would you be happier if you:

For me I would rather strike the ball well and not score than vice versa. When I do that the scoring will follow. Generally, the shorter the swing the easier the problem is to correct, all the way down to the putting stroke.

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!