IGNORED

4 club competition

walfice
Note: This thread is 5419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If it were me:

18*

5i

8i

sw

And i would putt with my hybrid.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Completely

the above is spot on. agree +1

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Driver: since the 3 wood and 4 iron are no better at keeping it in the fairway
7 iron: on another course I might go with the 5
pitching wedge: my all purpose short game club
putter: the straw that stirs the drink

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I've played this, except we run the course and your score is a mix between how many shots you take and your run time. I took driver (choke up if you have to), 6 iron (maybe 5i), 56*, and putter. It was a good time.

How exactly do you score this? Do you play 18 or just 9 and what is considered a good time? I guess the course would have to be wide open or you would have to be the first groups out. Some of the golfers I have seen would probably die if they did this.

Off the top of my head I would take a 3i (I use this about half the time off the tee anyway) a 7i a 60* and putter.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Sounds fun I'd love to try a tourney like this.

I'd go driver, 7 iron, 54 (I'm getting one soon), putter.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I've never tried this but it sounds like fun.

I'd take:

3 utility wood (15*)
7 iron
50* GW
putter

Conveniently these are the clubs I'm probably the most confident with.

Driver- titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* 
Fairway Wood- titleist.gif 909F2 15.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff
Hybrid- titleist.gif 909H 19* 
Irons- mizuno.gifMX-200 4-PW, vokey.gifSM 50.8 bent to 51*, SM 56.11, and TVD 60*M
Putter- cameron.gif Newport 2.5 

How exactly do you score this? Do you play 18 or just 9 and what is considered a good time? I guess the course would have to be wide open or you would have to be the first groups out. Some of the golfers I have seen would probably die if they did this.

Yeah, there are very select few times that it can be done. If I remember right we did minutes + strokes as the final score. There may have been a factor or fraction in there somewhere, but I don't remember. A good time is about an hour for 18 holes. We called it battle golf, but we definitely still respected the grounds and rules.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

I would probably take my driver, 7 iron, 52* and my putter -

I would probably be better served to take my 3H instead of my driver, but on my best scoring days it all stems from a hot streak with my driver, so it would be hard to give up that potential.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

5 wood
6 iron
9 iron
GW

I'd putt with my 5 wood.

I figure I could score pretty damn well (all things considered) with that combo right there.

It would depend greatly on the length of the course...but if we're saying that no par 4s get over about 450...then I'm fine.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

5 wood

The last time I played in a tournament like this I did putt with my 5W and I after a little bit of practice, I found that I could putt almost as good with that as I could with my putter. Don't get me wrong, I love my putter, but it this type of competition, I've never seen it won by someone who limited his shot options by carrying a putter unless he was playing a very short course.

Since I no longer carry a 5W, I'd use either my 3W, 4W or hybrid for putting, depending on what I chose to carry that day. The hybrid is easier to putt with because it has a shorter shaft, but all would work ok.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The last time I played in a tournament like this I did putt with my 5W and I after a little bit of practice, I found that I could putt almost as good with that as I could with my putter.

Between the first and second half of our league we have a "Two Club And A Putter" day. We had to change the name from the "3 club day" just so people wouldn't putt with their other clubs.

It's amazing how creative you can get when limited to just 2 clubs. Choke downs, punch shots & grounders are all in play. The most surprising thing is that most guys shoot within 3-4 shots of their normal (9 hole) scores. The league plays just for skins that day, no standings or matches are at risk. All of the 18 hole side bets remain intact. Last year I used a 7 wood and a 9 iron. I found out I can hit either club 160 yards when I have to! The guy shot the best score used a driver and a wedge. I love the game, it forces you to use your head and create shots.

Between the first and second half of our league we have a "Two Club And A Putter" day. We had to change the name from the "3 club day" just so people wouldn't putt with their other clubs.

We did the same thing in our league, I went with a 5 wood, 8 iron, GW. Regreded not having a putter, it cost me 5 to 9 stokes.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

2 iron, 6 iron, 52*, putter
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I have changed from what i put before.

Driver
5 iron
9 iron
56*
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

3 wood, 7 iron, SW, Putter.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Did one of these a while back. Took a 3 wood and an 8 iron and a 52* wedge along with a putter. Shot 38 that day from the senior tees(because we were playing with 4 clubs)

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I used to organize a 3 club tournament every year, most players brought a fairway wood, a mid iron and putter. I think bringing a putter is the mistake most people make. Just a few minutes of practice and you can get pretty good at putting with a wedge, and having a wedge in a 3 club tourney is a huge advantage. I would select my SW, and 7 iron and a 3 iron. They are all 4 clubs apart in the bag and I can cover all distances from 230 to 0 with those clubs.

In a 4 club tournament you have an even greater advantage. I would still use the wedge in place of a putter, but this time I would probably go SW, 8 iron, 5 iron and 2 iron.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would depend on the course but I think 3-wood, 6-iron, PW and putter. I recall once playing a 9-hole "two-club" (putter mandatory) competition and I used 7-iron. Winner shot -3, I shot a respectable +2. Maybe more clubs just confuses us more??

In my bag..

Driver: Mighty Big T3, 8°, Grafalloy Prolite 35
Fairway Wood: PT, 13°
Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

Note: This thread is 5419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!