IGNORED

Does this rule exist??

Golfaway
Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My caddy told me a couple of days ago about a rule I never heard of before. He says that if a player hits a tree branch on his practice swing, leading to the fall of leaves, he takes one stroke penalty for each leaf falling to the ground.

Is that true?
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

My caddy told me a couple of days ago about a rule I never heard of before. He says that if a player hits a tree branch on his practice swing, leading to the fall of leaves, he takes one stroke penalty for each leaf falling to the ground.

A good caddy should always have a sense of humor! The right answer is found in rule 13-2. 2 stroke penalty in stroke play for improving the area of your intended swing. So depending on your point of view, I guess it could even be worse than what your caddy told you......if only one leaf fell, you'd be charged two strokes for that one leaf. Ouch!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only if you were "practice" swinging where the tree branch overhangs your ball. As long as you're not improving your lie or stance, I don't think it matters.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Wait a minute. I understand that you cannot improve your lie by, for example, pulling out a weed out of the ground. But clearing around or under the ball (provided it doesn't move) has always been okay for me and for everyone I play with. I mean, say a leaf is under my ball, and I can pull it out without moving the ball, or if my ball has some fallen leaves and rocks in it's path that would hinder it's path when I'm intending to make a low punch would that be considered "improving" the lie??
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

You are only penalized if you improve your lie or the area of your intended swing. And then it's a two stroke penalty no matter how many leaves fall, unless you take one practice swing and break a branch, then take another practice swing and break another one. You can incur multiple penalties for multiple acts.

The key thing to consider is whether the leaves or branch (or weeds or tall grass) were in the area of your intended swing.

I've seen the guy who takes several practice swings near his ball to deliberately chop down the weeds so he has a less impeded swing.... and he is shocked when I tell him that he just added 2 strokes for each pass.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If there is a pine cone sitting 2 inches behind your ball, do you incur a penalty if you move it?

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

If there is a pine cone sitting 2 inches behind your ball, do you incur a penalty if you move it?

No. You're allowed to remove loose impediments as long as the ball does not move.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

No. You're allowed to remove loose impediments as long as the ball does not move.

OK, just checking. Thanks.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

OK, just checking. Thanks.

Rule 13-2 only applies to things that are attached or growing. If a broken branch is completely detached and hanging from another branch, you can remove the broken one as a loose impediment as long as nothing is done to the other branch to improve your swing.

Rick

Does breaking a branch on your backswing count as improving your swingpath? If not... seems like there could be an art to circumventing this rule... :-p
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Does breaking a branch on your backswing count as improving your swingpath? If not... seems like there could be an art to circumventing this rule... :-p

On a practice swing... yes. But not if you're hitting the shot.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I guess it depends on if you play with Al Gore or not.

If you break the branch on your backswing then you must complete the stroke to avoid the penalty. If you stop your stroke after you break the branch, then you still incur the 2 stroke penalty. No way to get around it.

Rick

Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!