IGNORED

Slipped disc...is golf over?

Alex1
Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have a slipped disc or similar back problems? What's the prognosis regarding golf? Are you basically finished with golf, or can you resume once the injury has healed?

I have had 2 slipped discs, 4 surgeries on them and finally a fifth surgery to fuse L4, L5 and S1. I play many rounds and still drive the ball 275 when I connect.

I had asked the doc if he could put a pre-loaded spring in my back for more distance and maybe even a swivel to help with swing plane but all for naught.

Except for numbness in my right leg below the knee which makes it difficult to walk a course. Other than a high handicap I have no other problems.

Barry

In the Bag

Custom Built
Driver - R7 Draw 460 / Matrix Studio 84 Shaft X-Stiff
3 Wood - Kest S S.D. T-Steel / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-Stiff5 Wood - Kent S S.D. T-Steel / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-Stiff3 Hybrid - RX Low Pro / Matrix Studio 94 Shaft X-StiffIrons - 4-PW C1 Tour / Precision Rifle...

Wedges - Titlest Vokey Wedges SM5 56-14 and 52-12

"I have had...4 surgeries on them"

That's what I'm trying to avoid - surgeries. Right now I just have the numbness in my leg. If I start a stretching routine for my back, can I play golf and avoid future surgery?

I played with a guy yesterday who was 64 and had a slipped disc. He told me that he can't carry his bag anymore, but he still walks the course with a push-cart for his bag. He hit it 300+ and shot 34 on the back nine. Said that he gets more sore, but that swinging wasn't a problem with the disc, it was walking that caused more problems. He rode a cart that particular day, but said that he usually walked.

Driver: 905S 8* - Graffaloy Blue 65S Shaft (tipped 1" Short)
Fairway: 960F (15*, 19*)
Irons: T-Zoid Pro 4-PW w/ True Temper Steel
Wedges: MP-R Black 52*, 56*
Lob: 60* CG-10 (nice and rusty)Putter: OZ Putter (with oversized Winn Blue Grip)Ball:: One Tour

My dad has one, and stretches religiously.

He's got a few other "old man" injuries-right elbow and shoulder that hamper his swing. All together, it leaves him with a perfect swing for a set of hybrids 2 degrees flat. He doesn't hit it far, but its straight, and he putts well enough. He's happy just breaking 100 and walking around.

I think a day of casting for muskies bothers his back more than 18 holes does.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

There is no such thing as a "slipped disc". Find out what is really going on with the disc - prolapsing or bulging,whatever and that may help you to get a prognosis.
In short - walking is great exercise for a bad back, but everyone's back issues are different and there's no single answer.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

as the guy above me said, you cant 'slip a disc', its just a bad term used to explain something else.

But, if your overweight, lose the pounds to alleviate stress, and work on stregnthening back muscles. There are many golfers out there with back problems, but if you want to continue playing, you need to make a commitment to your health and fitness.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Agree with those that you need to know specifics of disc issue. I have one dessicated disc in my upper back and two bulging ones in my lower back. The lower discs sometimes cause me to have sciatica, ? not sure of spelling, in my left bum and leg. I have been able to avoid surgery with pilates and stretching. Stretching my legs, especially hamstrings, some people also find symptomatic relief from any number of back products which provide mild traction to the spine, although there is no proof they heal anything.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!