IGNORED

Short game reverse pivot

Note: This thread is 5575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm working on eliminating a slight reverse pivot from my full-swing to improve my ball-striking. I noticed that the swing change is having quite a negative effect on my short game. In particular, I've starting hitting chips fat, which I haven't done in years. My guess is that I used to reverse pivot and drop the club steeply onto the ball on short shots. Now, my right shoulder is lower, and the bottom of the swing arc has moved back as a result.

Do people generally reverse pivot in the short game swing, or is it a no-no there as well?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

My understanding is you never want a reverse pivot except in one case... when trying to hit a lofted wedge chip shot where you want the ball flight high and soft.

The guy I take lessons from advised me to use a little backward move with my head when popping a chip shot up for a high soft shot. It works great in that case. SubPar

• Administrator
Do people generally reverse pivot in the short game swing, or is it a no-no there as well?

I don't, unless I'm really trying to add loft to a club. For example, a full-swing 100-yard pitching wedge wedge shot from the rough. I can open the clubface up only so much before I've reduced the hitting area to "the hosel and everything behind it"

so I'll sometimes "scoop" the ball and leave my weight on my back foot to get the ball up in a hurry. In my short game, I kind of take the Stan Utley approach which is kind of stack-and-tilty and just leave my weight left. It never really goes to my right side much at all. So try that, perhaps. For pitches, chips... even my shorter irons I feel like my weight tends to stay left a lot more than with the mid-irons or longer clubs. It doesn't, in reality, on those full swings, but it does on short pitches and chips. Some people even putt with their weight a bit more on the left side.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!