IGNORED

Desperate for a Playing Partner

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 6504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello All,

I am in a pretty desperate state for a an adequate playing partner. I am 21, and absolutely love the game of golf. I play in college, Bowdoin College, but I have a very hard time finding people to play with because of a strange group of friends (1/2 think 15 bucks is a rip off, 1/2 spend 200+ every weekend). I'm a middle class kid who can't afford a premium course every weekend...

so, I play a lot by myself or with random hackers

love the game, passionate about everything on the course but not a tight ass...after all its just a game

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Hello All,

Welcome... I love your bag. You've chosen some high quality sticks. It'd be pretty tough for me to get to Boston for a round.

I've got some buddies I golf with a couple of times a month usually. Things have gotten crazy this summer so we haven't played a round in a while. I play alone or with the occasional hack I meet at the course. Hopefully you can meet someone at college or on the golf course that will turn into a regular partner. Consider joining a men's league in your area. That would be a great way to meet folks and play regularly.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was thinking of joinging The Tour of Greater Boston but 95% of the tournie are during the weekday in the mornings and I unfortunatley have one of those things called a job! lol... like I said before my friends from college are crazy rich, I know 5 members at The Country Club in Brookline but the member fee is really high 200+

thanks for the comments on the clubs, I work hard every day during the summer and save every penny I can to buy sticks like this... its hard, no one in the family plays or understands the difference between a 99 set and Titty irons

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

You should try and find a hottie girl to play with... then you'll be set on 2 fronts.

Sorry, I just spent an hour eating lunch watching the some local girls practice on the driving range... it's just not fair.

In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

er...I live in VA. lo siento senorr

In The Bag:
Driver: 9 degree King Cobra 440 SZ (ETP Penley S Flex)
3 Wood: Taylormade 540 XD (M.A.S R5 Series S Flex)
5 Wood: Mizuno MP .001 (Exsar 60 S Flex)
Irons: Mizuno MP-60 (Dynamic Gold) Gap Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM Oilcan (Dynamic Gold) Sand Wedge: Cleveland Tour Action (Dynam. G) Putter:...

the reality is that massachusetts sucks... the weather is horrible and there aren't that many nice tracks...

anything nice here is automatically over priced, I've met people who played down south and played 50 dollar tracks that were the same if not better than the "premier" Mass courses

what a shame

Daniel Duarte

I live in Boston and often go out alone or with one other guy. I am not the greatest but I break 100.

The actual 'boston' courses are terrible, I have found a couple nice courses on the south shore and just outside the city.

yeah I know the feeling... I play way to much at Ponky, George Wright... its just a practice site for me, I never take a round there seriously

Daniel Duarte

so you dont get to play for free anywhere being on your college's golf team??

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

unfortunately no... I get access to our home course but I go to school in Maine (live in MA) not driving 2 hrs for a free round

Daniel Duarte

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to play to play golf in college, cuz i'm hoping to but i dont really have any idea what to do

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

well it all really depends on where you go to school. I was lucky to be at a Division III school that did not really recruit players, so even with my lack of experience I was able to walk on. It's really important to email the coach and let yourself be known, just update him on your game is going and what you are working on. Just so that he knows you aren't fooling around and are really dedicated to helping the team out.

Now if you go to a really big university/college and are DI then you'll have a pretty full plate. Those schools recruit, they place athletics above academics so you have a lot of kids who went to special schools where they played golf pretty much every day and had some school mixed into the picture. But start by emailing your coach and be realistic about where you go to school

Daniel Duarte

did those coaches email you back? cuz i've already done like the online recruiting questionaire thing for two schools (grove city which is D3 and i think i could play there, and davidson which i did just for the heck of it). and neither have responded. so should i keep trying to contact them or would that be nagging?

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

you have to take it to the next level... find the coaches email (search google for the teams home site) or try to contact someone on the team (on facebook.com or myspace.com)

Thats what I did, those questionairs are barely read by athletic coaches, they are only really useful in the admission process

Daniel Duarte

• 2 weeks later...
I've met people who played down south and played 50 dollar tracks that were the same if not better than the "premier" Mass courses

Being one of those guys who lives south, I can tell you it is right. I played in Maine the last two summers and just regular tracks up there were $50 to $70, where for much better courses here, it would be $35 average including the cart. This holds true almost all over Arkansas. The area I live in is growing by leaps and bounds. We are the HQ for a little company called WalMart and we have something like 1200 families a month moving into Northwest Arkansas. You would think that would drive the prices up, but not so far.

If I were close enough, I'd play.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 6504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!