IGNORED

Anyone here ride mountain bikes?

Dub
Note: This thread is 5402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wife and I kept way under budget on our annual vacation this year and decided to get a pair of bikes so we could ride with our youngster.

There are lots of bike trails in the area....some of them highly technical and hairy in spots and a couple are fairly flat and highly scenic. I'll post some pics when time permits.

We went to all the local dealers around and got of feel for what they were like and looked at the brands they sell. I then talked to buddies who are into riding. They all steered us to the dealer and brand that we selected.

I felt it was important to hook up with a good dealer. I can see that we'll be needing lots o tune-ups and light repairs in the future.

One thing is for sure....it will be a fun way to burn off some calories together.

We picked up the basics: entry level-but good quality bikes, helmets, pump, reciever rack for our vehicles, and are ordering some padded cycling shorts.

Please advise of any other recomendations.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I took my 9 year old to a local trail to ride yesterday.

I was hoofing it (waiting for my bike to arrive Wed or Thurs) and he was just ahead of me....25 yds or so.

He went downhill a bit too fast over some loose gravel, hit a series of bumps-one of them wrenched the handlebars out of his hands and he went down pretty hard on his right side.

Nothing broken, no muscular damage and no bad bruises....just some serious scrapes.

90 mins later he had the wounds cleaned up and was back playing video games.

He said he would always stay in control of his speed and look ahead for upcoming trouble.

All in all.....a great lesson learned with a small price to pay.

Seeing it happen was scary and all I can say is I'm a bigtime believer in helmets and glasses. He was wearing both and they worked very well....keeping the gravel out of his eyes and the helmet could have helped prevent inury had his head been thumped.

We should've had him in knee and elbo pads, too. We will before doing anything other than basic flat trail riding.
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I don't but I have thought about getting into many times. I know it is a good way to get your exercise in, but I just wouldn't have anyone to ride with?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depending upon the level of trails you're looking to ride wearing pads is a must, and don't overlook a decent pair of gloves. Your hands always take a beating when you take a spill over your handlebars.

What kind of bikes did you get?

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

My wife got a Trek 3700....mine is the 3900 disc model........my son has just about outgrown his Diamondback Jr Viper and will need a new bike really soon.

I'm hoping the riding will be good for my screwed up knee.....it's sure slowed up my golfing (2 rounds in 6 weeks!!!!!).

It's gonna take some getting used to.....the whole "seat up the arse" thing especially.

I'm jealous of my wife...she was able to get hers on the spot...a 2009 model that they cut us a great deal on. I needed a different frame size that wasn't in stock and they had to order from the 2010 models (price increase this year....imagine that....argghhhh)....should be here this week.

Chief....I think for the near future we'll be sticking to the Augusta Canal and Greenway trail. I'll tackle the hills around the neighborhood in the early mornings and late evenings once I get my bike set up with good high-viz lights. I've got no desire to tackle the technical stuff or open roads.

One thing that I considered was getting out to the course just at sunrise and rolling the cartpaths....then strapping the bike on the rack and teeing up for eighteen.....who knows....I've done stranger things on a golf course.

I have got to get some decent shades that I wear for golf, riding, boating and etc. My Costas have bitten the dust and are en route to the manf. for a hopeful rebuild or replacement.

I used to race back when I was much younger, I'd like to get back into it. But I have so many other expensive hobbies. That reminds me I need to go get new tubes and tires on that bad boy.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

. That reminds me I need to go get new tubes and tires on that bad boy.

I switched over to self sealing inner tubes. They come with the "Slime" brand sealing goop and work really well.

sweet Ill have to check those out, thanks!

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

On longer rides, padded shorts are a really nice thing. Also go to Walmart and get a cheapo water backpack and you will never have to worry about being thirsty, also able to carry all your belongings, a pump and spare tire, tools, etc...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

recently riding with my 8 year old daughter around the park for about an hour or two. It always puts a smile on her face when we are riding together.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Just started again this year (like me with golf) after years off.

Picked up a decent Norco Charger from a friend who had moved away for $100. Couple hundred in tuneup/replacing some worn out parts/some gear for me and I'm happy. I live right across the street from a decent trail system (though it's on a nasty hill to climb up) so i've been trying to get more riding in.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

I have a trek 4300, Great way of staying in shape. I really need to upgrade duetot he fact that I like to ride tough singletrack. but my money has been spent on GOLF!!

In my N xtreme sport bag

Driver- Hibore XLS
3 Wood- Speed LDF
3 & 4- Insight A2OS Hybrid

5-9- 755's

L,S,Gtom Watson G, S, L

Putter- Karsten Anser

Ball- Whatever

I used to do the mountain biking excessively in my early teens. It was one of those fads at school that everyone got into but my brother and I kind of stuck with.

I remember scoring a great deal on a pretty nice Giant that was supposedly the previous year's model so it as going cheap. I spent a few hundred quid upgrading the brakes (Shimano XTR V-Brakes) and putting some downhill bars on it. I loved that thing! Over the course of a summer I'd ride 30 miles four of five times a week, before I got into golf.

When I was about 19 our garage got broken into and it got pinched. I hadn't ridden it for a few years, my time went into travel and working so it didn't get much use out of it. I took the cash from the insurance payout and didn't buy another...

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Note: This thread is 5402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!