IGNORED

Left foot spinning out during or past impact

Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately my left foot has had the tendency to "spin out" to the left during/past impact.

Is this a problem or is it just one of those things that makes a golf swing unique?

One of my spikes in my left shoe comes out about every round too, I think it's from spinning on it. I'm getting sick of having to check that my spike is still there every couple shots, not to mention replacing them.

The only way I can seem to correct this is by sliding my hips a little more on the downswing which puts my weight more on the outside of my left foot, keeping it from spinning out.

Is it possible that I am hanging back a little bit which is causing my left foot to "spin out" towards the target?

Or is it something else?

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Weight is supposed to be on the inside of the left foot and that should help it from not spinning outwards.

Sorry, that's what I meant, inside of my left foot. It's past my bedtime I think.

- Joel

• Administrator
The only way I can seem to correct this is by sliding my hips a little more on the downswing which puts my weight more on the outside of my left foot, keeping it from spinning out.

This is right (above). This is wrong (below):

Weight is supposed to be on the inside of the left foot and that should help it from not spinning outwards.

Weight should not be on the inside of the left foot. Outside. Roll the ankle. Get to the outside of the left foot.

My foot will spin out a little bit if I turn instead of push forward with the hips. When I push properly, my foot doesn't twist at all and the inside of the left shoe is even sometimes slightly off the ground at the follow-through.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Lately my left foot has had the tendency to "spin out" to the left during/past impact.

Arnold Palmer and Gary Player both did it, I think it was described as really getting through with your left side..LoL

my left foot spinning out after impact too. But as far as they are not spinning during impact, then I am happy. I can keep it from spinning out but I felt too much pressure on my left thigh, and I try to avoid that.

If it doesn't hurt your swing, and u can stay in balance, I think it's ok. If u see Pros hit drivers, their left foot spinning out too (of course, after impact)

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

I used to have a similar problem, though mine was related to a labral tear in my left hip. I've managed to minimize the spinout by once addressing the ball simply turning my left foot out a little. I feel more balanced and less spinout takes place.

In my bag..

Driver: Mighty Big T3, 8°, Grafalloy Prolite 35
Fairway Wood: PT, 13°
Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

I used to have a similar problem, though mine was related to a labral tear in my left hip. I've managed to minimize the spinout by once addressing the ball simply turning my left foot out a little. I feel more balanced and less spinout takes place.

I have to turn my left toe out because I have weak ligaments. My ACL stretches like mad when I really torque a swing with my feet perpendicular to the target line. I open my front foot 45 degrees open on most swings and it lets me get a better full Tiger Woods follow through with the club coming all the away around back to the target line.

I think it's no issue if it doesn't affect your balance. However with all my weight forward, even using softspikes, I CANT spin my foot. It's stuck. Perhaps you're ending with too much weight on the back foot?

Driver: 905S 8* - Graffaloy Blue 65S Shaft (tipped 1" Short)
Fairway: 960F (15*, 19*)
Irons: T-Zoid Pro 4-PW w/ True Temper Steel
Wedges: MP-R Black 52*, 56*
Lob: 60* CG-10 (nice and rusty)Putter: OZ Putter (with oversized Winn Blue Grip)Ball:: One Tour

Weight should not be on the inside of the left foot. Outside. Roll the ankle. Get to the outside of the left foot.

So at impact your weight is suppose to be on the outside of the left foot because my weight is on the inside prior to impact.

« Keith »

I have to turn my left toe out because I have weak ligaments. My ACL stretches like mad when I really torque a swing with my feet perpendicular to the target line. I open my front foot 45 degrees open on most swings and it lets me get a better full Tiger Woods follow through with the club coming all the away around back to the target line.

It's possible more weight is on my back leg; the left labral tear causes a sharp very unpleasureable pinching in my left hip (which is felt in the groin region) so my weight transfer may not be as complete as it once would be but it is much better now that I turn my left foot out. I think it allows me to transfer my weight and follow through will less pinching.

In my bag..

Driver: Mighty Big T3, 8°, Grafalloy Prolite 35
Fairway Wood: PT, 13°
Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

paralysis by analysis...you might be over swing or swinging out of temp on your downswing (too fast and jerky). I loose tempo from time to time and my left foot will move if I'm coming down to hard.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

I don't think it's that. Maybe I'm planting my weight in the wrong part of my foot on my downswing. How should I have my weight distributed from front to back on my left foot during/past impact?

Heel, toes, 50/50, ????

If you look at the picture I attached below(from about a year ago)you can see I'm in the position that iacas was talking about, weight on the outside of my left foot. My foot would never spin out when I did this and I had great balance through the shot. I wasn't sure if it was the "right" thing to do at the time but it worked great so I stuck with it. I inadvertently lost it since then and I can't figure out why.

It's a little hard to see but in the full size picture the inside of my left foot is slightly off the ground.

- Joel

So at impact your weight is suppose to be on the outside of the left foot because my weight is on the inside prior to impact.

You can't make a proper weight shift or turn if your weight is inside your left foot at/through impact.

Here's a good balance drill; Use the mat at your driving range. Take your stance with your heels off the back of the mat. You should be able to make a backswing w/o your right heel changing position. Now make sure that the outside of your left heel is on the concrete in your finish position.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• Administrator
I don't think it's that. Maybe I'm planting my weight in the wrong part of my foot on my downswing. How should I have my weight distributed from front to back on my left foot during/past impact?

When I used to spin out slightly, it was because I was getting too much turn (or too early a turn), or a spin-out of the hips, which put the weight more on the heel than evenly distributed or even slightly toward the ball of the foot.

Delaying that spinning out leads to a better left-foot finish position.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

during my series of lessons, my pro teed a ball up just on the inside of my left heel and my right heel -

the idea was that the ball teed up on the inside of my left heel should NOT get knocked off the tee, and the ball on the inside of my right foot SHOULD get knocked off the tee - good practice to make sure my weight was headed towards my target and not twisting around - before that drill, both my feet would spin out to a degree -

he also told me that flaring out the front foot somewhat is helpful to less flexible golfers like myself, but urged me to keep my back foot at 90 degrees to keep me from getting too far back on my backswing
In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

during my series of lessons, my pro teed a ball up just on the inside of my left heel and my right heel -

Good pro.

I flare my front foot 45 degrees but use a square back foot. Resisting the knee movement gives more power and control. The power comes from the torque down your spine, which you can't get if you're flinging your left hell around. I know some coaches say lifting the left heel is ok, but unless you're not very flexible, I don't think it's a good move as it robs power.

Driver: 905S 8* - Graffaloy Blue 65S Shaft (tipped 1" Short)
Fairway: 960F (15*, 19*)
Irons: T-Zoid Pro 4-PW w/ True Temper Steel
Wedges: MP-R Black 52*, 56*
Lob: 60* CG-10 (nice and rusty)Putter: OZ Putter (with oversized Winn Blue Grip)Ball:: One Tour

• 3 years later...
Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!