IGNORED

What have I done????????

Deep Stuff
Note: This thread is 6519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A guy at work, about 15 years my senior, is an avid golfer. We have talked many a time about the game and were trying to get out on the course together. Well a few weeks ago, we finally made it happen on a nice 9 hole course after work. The first time, it was a good time. So we have been going out about once a week. Well he NOW critiques my game constantly. He is always pointing things out - UNSOLICITED advice.

I love playing. Getting out fo 9 after work is great. I have no problem playing with anybody but he has to curb the "advice." I do not mind somebody saying a little something they notice after a swing NOW AND THEN but he does not stop. I have enough swing thoughts in my head and usually after a bad shot, I can feel what I did wrong. But he has to point it out and show me, as if he was a pro. Usually we are playing with a single or a pair that we were sent out with and the advice actually embarasses me a little. As if I cannot play.

Oh yeah - he is only a few shots better then me and I am much longer then him off the tee and about an iron ahead of him - which I say is an age thing. He has been playing for A LOT longer then me.

This guy is all tight with the hire up in the company so it is also good for me professionally. I feel like I am talking about a failing relationship here. LOL! Any advice to keep the weekly game but squashing the constant advice.

I got engaged on November 19, 2005 to a lady who had bought me a Taylormade R580XD, Adams Irons a Calloway "MLB" bag, a Calloway Golf jacket (different holidays / birthdays / etc) and tells me I should "go play with the guys."

In the Bag
Driver: Taylormade R580 XD
3 & 4 Adams I-Wood 5-P: Adams A1Sa...

Take a lesson with a pro. Then you can legitimately say he doesn't want you trying to fix anything else until you are comfortable with his changes. Or that he doesn't want you thinking about mechanics on the course. Of course the truth delivered gently that advice during a round confuses you and takes the fun out of it. You would be glad to listen to tips afterwords. Easier to ignore then also

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

A guy at work, about 15 years my senior, is an avid golfer. We have talked many a time about the game and were trying to get out on the course together. Well a few weeks ago, we finally made it happen on a nice 9 hole course after work. The first time, it was a good time. So we have been going out about once a week. Well he NOW critiques my game constantly. He is always pointing things out - UNSOLICITED advice.

Seems like the only thing that is going to make you happy is saying something to him. I generally tell people, even great friends of mine, "No lessons on the golf course." If he's only a few strokes better than a 25-handicap then he's nothing but a hack like me and he should shut his yapper.

Tell him to keep his criticism to himself. You're not golfing to hear the half-baked wisdom of a 20-handicap, you're out there to enjoy yourself. Lessons from a professional, not from buddies on the golf course. This is one of the first rules of etiquette. In fact, I think there’s a penalty stroke involved in the giving of advice or criticism.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take a lesson with a pro. Then you can legitimately say he doesn't want you trying to fix anything else until you are comfortable with his changes. Or that he doesn't want you thinking about mechanics on the course. Of course the truth delivered gently that advice during a round confuses you and takes the fun out of it. You would be glad to listen to tips afterwords. Easier to ignore then also

perfect advice

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

Note: This thread is 6519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!