IGNORED

Struggle with lag putting? Maybe this will help.

Note: This thread is 5407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My lag putting has struggled all year and I received a tip the other day that has seemed to help me and thought I'd pass it along.

Note: I did change my putting grip back to a conventional right hand low grip so that may have something to do with my speed as well.

I've started trying to take the guesswork out of lagging (as much as I can).

The first thing I do is throw my putter cover down on the practice green (I'd rather putt to it than an actual hole). I take 5 steps away from the putter cover which should be roughly 15 feet. From there I take 10 balls or so and putt toward the head cover taking note of how far back I bring the putter. For me, the putter must come back slightly past my right foot (depending on your stance this may be different). Once I've got that figured out, I take an additional 5 steps back which should be roughly 30 feet. The stroke for this putt should be double that of your fifteen foot stroke. You can really use this method for any length of putt.

Keep in mind that this will change a little depending on the speed of the greens, the grain and if your putt is uphill or downhill. I've used this method for about a week now in practice on two different putting greens. One of those greens was pretty slow and the other was pretty fast and the method has worked well for each green and the stroke was nearly the same on each green.

We'll see how it holds up in a real round this Sunday.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Hmmm ... sounds like a good ploy. I'll have to give it a rumble.

What's in my bag:

- Cleveland HiBore XL 10.5 degree
- Knockoff 3 and 5 woods
- TaylorMade Burner Oversize Irons, 3-PW- Dynacraft SW- Cleveland 60 deg wedge (perhaps not for long, though)- Odyssey 550 Putter

Measuring the length of your stroke for distance control works to the extent that it's a good starting point. But it doesn't always translate well on the course considering uphill vs downhill, grain, break, etc... And that's a lot to remember if you've measured all of that out ahead of time.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Measuring the length of your stroke for distance control works to the extent that it's a good starting point. But it doesn't always translate well on the course considering uphill vs downhill, grain, break, etc... And that's a lot to remember if you've measured all of that out ahead of time.

Exactly. There's a lot more to consider in the equation but it's a starting point. Generally unless it's extremely uphill, downhill, fast or slow the stroke will be pretty close to the same and it should get you somewhere in the vicinity of the hole.

I used this method yesterday in an actual round and putted much better than normal. I left a couple short, but for the most part I had tap ins for my second putt.

I have tried this, and it became to the point where it was just too mechanical and too confusing for me. I just lost all my concentration over striking the putt solid, that I ended up doing worse than my previous lag putting.

This CAN work for some people though, I know a few friends who are good players who do this...

so I'm not shooting down your idea, I'm just saying this 'theory' or 'method' may not be good for everyone.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

so I'm not shooting down your idea, I'm just saying this 'theory' or 'method' may not be good for everyone.

No problem. That's really everything in golf isn't it?

I'll continue to do it until I start putting bad again. At that time I'll find another band aid to hold things together. haha

No problem. That's really everything in golf isn't it?

No, you're right. I mean, there's different methods to everything in golf - it's crazy..So many different ways you can everything.

Whatever works for you , go for it. My point of that line in my previous post is I didn't want to offend anyone by saying "it simply doesn't work don't even try it." Because, that's not what I meant - I meant that for myself after trying to grasp it...but as I said, I've seen many good players use this technique, and obviously a 2 handicapper such as yourself, no acception.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

A great tip on lag putting is to practice with only your dominant hand. I've become quite good at lag putting to within a foot or two. Too bad I can't make the makeable putts in 5-10 foot range.

« Keith »

My point of that line in my previous post is I didn't want to offend anyone by saying "it simply doesn't work don't even try it." Because, that's not what I meant - I meant that for myself after trying to grasp it...but as I said, I've seen many good players use this technique, and obviously a 2 handicapper such as yourself, no acception.

No offense taken, by me anyway.

Of course, you could also, go to any putting green and make a 1 inch back and through stroke and see how far the ball rolls and progress from there. Its much easier if you know a 3 inch back and through will roll, say, 15 feet on a level green and 6 inches will go 30 feet and so on. Keep the same stroke just adjust the length back and through to the distance. Make the stroke with a quarter on the putter, so the tempo is smooth and accelerating through the ball, but the quarter does not fall off due to jerking quick movements.

Note: This thread is 5407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!