IGNORED

Golf in NJ along 195 (between the shore and Trenton)

Note: This thread is 5534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to have one afternoon next week in the New Jersey area along 195, between Trenton and the Jersey Shore. Has anyone played any courses in this area? Here are the options I've found. I'm looking for a nice aesthetic course, fairly challenging, and well kept:
  • Lakewood Country Club
  • Gambler Ridge
  • Cream Ridge
  • Hanover Golf Club
  • Spring Meadow Golf Course
  • Howell Park Golf Course
  • Shark River Golf Course

Thanks, I only have one chance, though I'd like to play them all!

I'm going to have one afternoon next week in the New Jersey area along 195, between Trenton and the Jersey Shore. Has anyone played any courses in this area? Here are the options I've found. I'm looking for a nice aesthetic course, fairly challenging, and well kept:

Howell Park is probably the best overall. It long has had a reputation as one of the best, if not the best, county courses in NJ. But it will be crowded and maybe tough to get on.

Lakewood and Shark River are older and more historic, but I don't think they are as well maintained. And Shark River has some real funky holes due to the GSP intrusion 50 years ago. Cream Ridge and Gambler's Ridge are decent overall values; good basic golf, but nothing that will blow you away. I don't know anything about Hanover or Spring Meadow.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

you should go over to architects golf club, even though it's not close to trenton or the shore, but it's in Jersey. One of my favorite courses, if not my favorite, and it has country club conditions...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

These are some real clunkers. I lived in the area for years and can't say much good about most of these. I'd strongly steer you clear of Lakewood as my brother played it last summer and said the tees were free of grass and his standards for courses are as low as can be.

Cream Ridge is OK, but very quirky. I played Gambler Ridge a long time ago and the fact I never returned is telling. Miry Run is another course along that strip that fits into this same category -- quirky, average (at best) conditions. Actually a step below the county courses in this area, but like you said, hard to get on Monmouth County courses, although a weekday afternoon shouldn't be bad, especially as a single. Hanover is a cut above in terms of conditioning, but it's short and not too exciting of a design. I'm not even sure what Spring Meadow is, but I'd be wary.

Where exactly are you staying and how much are you looking to spend. The courses you list here cover what's probably an hour's worth of driving if you went from the two furthest apart, which means there are a bunch of other options. The nice thing about that part of the state is you can probably draw a 45-min circle around where your'e staying and choose from 25 places to play (although be careful cause you get on the wrong roads and what looks like 15 min on a map might take an hour thanks to traffic).

I'm confident we can find you a great fit, I'm not just not sure these are the only or best options.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Specifically, I'm going to be starting from Belmar (near the coast), and driving west along 195, then down the turnpike back to DC. The plan is to stop along the way, within an hour or hour and a half of leaving Belmar so I don't run out of daylight.

I usually walk, and I'm looking to spend less than $50 or so.

Thanks.

Specifically, I'm going to be starting from Belmar (near the coast), and driving west along 195, then down the turnpike back to DC. The plan is to stop along the way, within an hour or hour and a half of leaving Belmar so I don't run out of daylight.

If it's during the week, I would walk-on Howell becuase it's the best of those you mentioned hands down. Maybe you could call the golf shop before you leave to get an indication of whether there is a long wait or not.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Ive played Hanover, Cream Ridge and Gambler Ridge alot for i used to live in that area. I used to be an advanced green fee member at cream ridge. All decent courses in good condition. Hanover gets alot of duffer traffic, so timing is the key there.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• 2 weeks later...
Try Sea Oaks in Little Egg Harbor. Exit 58 on the parkway and then you could either continue down the parkway and take the ferry to get where you're going, or continue 20 miles down the parkway to the AC expressway West to meet up in the same point that 195 would take you. it's a fairly new course, I think only 5-6 years old. very well maintained. Around your price range.

What's In The Bag?

Driver - FT-i 10° Neutral Graphite Stiff
Fairway Metal - N/A
Irons - X-20 3-9 Std Steel Wedges - X-20 PW, AW, SW Std Steel Putter - White Hot XG #1 35" Bag - Ball - Loco

Lakewood- Not a bad course especially after 3pm, its only $16 to walk and 26 to ride. Hanover- by far the best place I've ever played for the price. Greens are super fast and challenging, but scenery was kinda boring. Nothing to brag about Spring Meadow- Very scenic course, but tee boxes were poorly maintained and the greens were ok. The other courses I havent played yet but I do plan on playing them at least once this year.

Whats in the Four 5?

Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3W
CPR 22/26 HybridsG5 5-PW Black Dot +2 Vokey Sm OilCanSV Tour 60* Black FinishBarbadosPro-V1 recycled

Note: This thread is 5534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!