IGNORED

new 24" iMac

golfbarefoot
Note: This thread is 5397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And to point #2, the old joke is "how many word processors do you need?"

Just the one that works best for me. Which may (or may not) be the one choice I would get with an Apple.

That along with the fact that something like 30+% of Windows software sold is anti-virus, anti-spyware, and/or repair/removal/fixing type utilities and applications, and, well...

Are you saying you don't run security/anti-virus/firewall software on your Mac? I've worked with everything from mainframes to micro-computers, and they all had some type of security software running. To do otherwise is to gamble with your data.

As far as cost, there are a number of good, free security packages for Windows (AVG, Avast!, AntiVir, etc...) for personal use. Not really a cost issue here.
Additionally, I've got Windows installed. Right here on my Mac. Can't do that on a PC (run the two OSes).

What deserted island have you been living on? People do that all the time. Look up VirtualPC, VMWare, or VirtualBox. Computer virtualization is an OLD, OLD, OLD technology (IBM was virtualizing mainframe computers 35 years ago via its VM product).

Apple, in fact, is kind of late to the game on this one. Why it has lately become a standard bragging point for Apple users is beyond me (I assume it's because Apple is pushing this as a talking/marketing point.) I've had a couple of people breathlessly show me this and my response is: so what? What next, you'll show me that your Mac can connect to the internet wirelessly? There's no technological reason the Max OS can't be run virtually on a PC (or Linux, or any other OS.) The reason it isn't is LEGAL. Apple won't license its OS to run on non-Apple hardware (or a virtual machine.) Everybody else will. But really, of all the bells and whistles Apples have, this one is the least bell and whistlely.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I grew up using Windows, from 3.1 up until XP. When I emigrated I started using my wife's Macbook. I hated the damn thing from the start, being frustrated using my Windows habits and learned the quirks of it but when it was time for me to buy my own computing power (I did last 3yrs!) I went back to a Dell, Vista powered PC. My wife's a graphic designer so the Mac is logical, my brother-in-law works in computer special effects and uses both. For my simple needs the second release, more reliable version of Vista was fine for me.

There were a few things I did like about her Mac, fairly simple things like I didn't have to worry about drivers when connecting printers, digital cameras etc. but that's essentially history now on my Windows PC. I also liked that shortcuts were intelligent enough to note a file had been moved rather than just tell me to piss off like Windows does if I shuffle my music folders around Then there's the more general things like the rest of the world using Microsoft based products and easy availability of those...

I'm not completely anti-Apple. I've got an ipod touch which is fantastic!

I'm happy with my PC, my wife's happy with her Mac. We're a happy household.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

That saddens me, but I'm of the mindset that a server shouldn't have a GUI at all

I think more Guis are being incorporated because it possibly could save people time learning the new stuff. It took me a while to learn how to set up a SAMBA server, all the commands, and then make it work.

I think more Guis are being incorporated because it possibly could save people time learning the new stuff. It took me a while to learn how to set up a SAMBA server, all the commands, and then make it work.

I can see that to a certain extent, but - at least in the *nix world - if you're unsure how to use a specific command you can usually just "man " and pull up all the instructions you'll need. It's my opinion that getting your hands dirty at the CLI also helps you understand your system better, as opposed to just clicking "next" all the time. I know that's a gross over-generalization, I'm just embellishing to make a point

. It's honestly a preference thing, both ways have their benefits and can be used effectively.

My frien got an iMac, too. The thing is sweet.

But i really don't understand all the crap Vista gets. I've had it for 2 years on my Dell Inspiron and it works amazing. Does everything I need for school, and easily.

But I would take a Mac in the blink of an eye, if they weren't so damned expensive. 400 dollars for my Dell, can't argue with that.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

But i really don't understand all the crap Vista gets. I've had it for 2 years on my Dell Inspiron and it works amazing. Does everything I need for school, and easily.

I feel the exact same way. Vista has been great for me.. but I could be tempted away by a Mac if they would come down in price.

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

Vista is somewhat bloated running the stock configuration. Not to mention when you buy a PC you get all the crap from the manufacturer loaded onto the machine as well which slows it down.

I have been running Vista since the beta days and it is perfectly fine and fast when tweaked. You couldn't pay me to go back to XP. Windows 7 is going to be even better.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love my MacBook Pro and wouldn't switch back ever. I realize that I paid more for the Mac but I'm fine with that. I like the stability that the Mac offers.

909D3 9.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
975F 14.5° w/ UST ProForce V2 (XS)
735CM 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold (S300)
56° Spin Milled
60° Spin Milled Studio Style Newport 2 35" Pro V1x or Tour B330

Is there any corporation that runs macs as their primary user PC? Does Apple/Mac even do that?

lol

I used to have to support Mac when working in the roadrunner user support center, it was good to learn the basics but haven't touched it since I went to corporate support.

Is there any corporation that runs macs as their primary user PC? Does Apple/Mac even do that? .

Walk into a high-end graphics studio and chances are good you'll see Macs, some music recording studios as well. The university campus here in town also has at least one large Mac-only computer lab, and has them scattered around elsewhere.

Walk into a high-end graphics studio and chances are good you'll see Macs, some music recording studios as well. The university campus here in town also has at least one large Mac-only computer lab, and has them scattered around elsewhere.

How about a company that has hundreds or thousands of users?

How about a company that has hundreds or thousands of users?

I'm sure they're out there, like I said a large graphic design firm could easily have that many users and be running Macs.

My parents just got a 24" iMac a little while back. I love it.

x86 Bag
909D2 9.5*
Rescue Mid Hybrid 4
AP2 Irons 3-PW
TP 54* Vokey: SM 60* Circa 62 #1 Pro V1x Balls

• Administrator
Is there any corporation that runs macs as their primary user PC? Does Apple/Mac even do that?

What kind of question is that?

Yes. There are plenty. And Apple is top-to-bottom Macs (and iPhones, etc. - except for the few PCs they have for their various Windows applications). Microsoft often uses Macs for their ads (you can view it in some of the metadata of files they'll send out). And you know what the saying is in the IT world: if you want to keep your job, keep pushing Windows. There will always be a need for IT people with Windows.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm on a dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 I bought in 2005. I just put in OS 10.5.6 (Leopard), I love it.

My computer has never crashed, never had a virus, never done anything bad.

I'm a Mac for lifer.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Note: This thread is 5397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!