IGNORED

Starter Set guidance

Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am new to golfing and am trying to find a decent starter set. I used to golf when i was younger, and have been going to the driving range with a driver that i had from my old set, that actually still fit my size. I am looking for a decent set to get get going with though that is not very expensive. Anyone have a suggestion as to where i may be able to find one?

A local shop had a full set of Tour X MG 400 clubs for $250, but i didnt know if this clubs were any good.

Anyone have some advice?

Thanks.

selling golf equipment I am a firm believer in buying good clubs the first time. Also make sure you get them fitted. And remeber buy cheap buy twice.. If I were you I would get a used set of "good clubs" if you dont want to spend big bucks.. you can get yourself taylor made, or callaway or any other of the big namebrands for 200 or 300 bucks.. Also remeber you use your putter more then any other club in your bag, make sure you try every putter you can get your hands on.. There is a reason that people spend 200 or 300 on only there putter..

goodluck..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

ok... this is one of those really simple questions that can take some detailed explaination. Even as a beginner you want to avoid the "all inclusive box sets" at pretty much all costs. I worked in a golf store during the summer months during the first couple of years of college and completely agree with the previous post. The problem with these cheap sets is if you plan to dedicate yourself to the game even if you just want to somewhat improve leading golf brands use better technology and materials than knock off companies. With that in mind purchasing a new or used set of brand name clubs is a long term investment, as supposed to a box set which you are highly likely to replace once you realize how different major brand clubs are

with that in mind, you should def. get fitted... and with that fitting information you could always go with a used set either from ebay, or callawaypreownedgolf.com or golfclubexchange.com

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I am new to golfing and am trying to find a decent starter set. I used to golf when i was younger, and have been going to the driving range with a driver that i had from my old set, that actually still fit my size. I am looking for a decent set to get get going with though that is not very expensive. Anyone have a suggestion as to where i may be able to find one?

.... If you're a *new* golfer, then there is nothing wrong with a "box" set .. just make sure

you like the look and feel of them ... Golf is a funny game and it's just like a 3 legged stool -- and like a 3 legged stool, you need 3 things to make it work. 1.) practice 2.) instruction 3.) clubs Usually when folks first start out .. they go out and buy the biggest name they can find in their area, or the clubs the "pro" convinced them of, or the brand name their favorite player uses and they leave the practice and instruction part out (so much for that 3 legged stool) .... that's fine, if you're a 15 handicapper and you know, see and can "feel" the difference .... I guess the question is - "would you give your son driving lessons in a $60,000 vehicle.?" Keep in mind as you grow into the game, you might grow thru and maybe even surpass the clubs that you buy, but like most folks, that might take 15/30 months depending on your frequency of play ... it will also take hours of practice, many lost balls at different golf courses, spending some $$ on some instruction and having fun and laughing at your mistakes .. getting the "feely touchy thing" comes into play when you become more and more aware of the game .. and since golf is strictly a "you thing", you might change your mind many times. Do you think the golf shops are loaded up with 2 and 3 month old "just traded" R7's, Callaway X460's, Titleist 905T's because they're are bad clubs..? -- heck no.! ... they get traded because most players forget it's a 3 legged stool, and 2 legs have been left out ..l.o.l... Find some clubs that you like and feel comfortable with .. and for future reference, there is nothing wrong with "clone" or knock off companies "if" your ego is intact .. some have built a wonderful reputation, their quality is excellent, they're doing quite well and can save buyers $$ .. here's a few examples: http://www.diamondtour.com/index.php http://www.gigagolf.com/index.jsp Good luck and happing hunting ....
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

Do yourself a favor go to Rockbottom golf .com and buy a older model club name club at the best prices on the web.all of the clubs here are last years model but are new and still warrantied so you wont have to worry.This company is very reputable and is used by many people on this site.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Thanks alot for all the guidance. I've been practicing with a few clubs from my uncle and father. I'm looking at buying a set here in the near future, I'll let you know what comes about.

• 11 months later...
Hi,

Sorry for bringing this year old thread back up but I'm hoping someone might be able to give some insight on a starter set.

I'm completely new to the sport and have been looking for an inexpensive starter set. From similar threads I know I should be trying to find a decent used set...problem is other than some names brands that are tossed around a lot I have no idea what to look for as far as feel etc. I also don't know anyone that plays which doesn't help.

So I've gone full circle and decided that for now the best option for me is a boxed set in the $150 range (**pause for shiver down your neck**). I'm just having a hard time wanting to spend more than that until I know for sure I will enjoy the sport, plus I wont feel as bad when I tear them up while trying to learn how to hack at the ball.

Anyway, thought perhaps someone has at least run across some of these cheap starter sets on the course and perhaps even tried some swings to give some suggestions.

Rockbottom has some Wilsons "Air Power" I was considering HERE

Then there are several brands I have no idea on such as the Precise/Tartan Aspire M3 15-Piece Package

or some on
Amazon in this range

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to give Golf a try. Once I get some play time I can hopefully gain some experience or meet some people in order to know what to advance to in the future.

Thanks for you time

Hard Tale, I played golf in highschool, but mostly focused in other sports. I graduated went to college and played here and there, but about six months ago I decided I wanted to get back in to the game. My fiance wanted to go play, long story short golf lessons come into play. I would suggest looking for an instructor in ur area and let him look at your swing and if you dont want to spend and atleast get a box set that is right for you. Par three is the best wasy to learn. Buy a good set of irons, a good putter. And hit the course. Good luck.

Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!