IGNORED

MacKinzie Kline and the USGA

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is it fair to grant certain people the use of a cart during competition?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm in the middle on this one.

Bear in mind that Casey Martin sued the PGA Tour, not the USGA.

Casey was fully prepared to sue the USGA over the cart issue, but the USGA took one look at the court case the PGA had been involved in and decided that they did not want the public relations problems the PGA had brought down on itself. He ordered a couple of the new special one man carts for Casey so it would be as unobtrusive on the course as possible.

There turned out to be a problem with the one man carts. The manufacturer had decided to use only one foot control. If you put your foot down, it went, when you lifted your foot, it stopped. Some of th USGA staff tried out the cart before the tournament and told their management that they thought the controls made it hazardous for an inexperienced operator like Casey, so the head of the USGA went and tried it out himself. He immediately banged it into the wall in the cart shed. With images of some Granny being run over by Casey on national TV, they opted to go with the traditional cart. The rest is history. By the way, Commish Finchem knew he was fighting a losing battle with Casey Martin, but they went ahead with it to discourage others from attempting the same thing in the future. One battle they did win was that the court did not rule on all disabled golfers, just on Casey's unique situation. That is the one thing the PGA did not want to have happen because that would have meant opening Pandora's box of ailments to obtain a cart.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I can not belive the responses I see from certain people on this thread. If your life is so perfect that the response of suck it up is all you have you should be very thankful. If your thinking that because your back hurts your club should cancel your championship is anyway related to what this girl has you are ignorant. My son also has the same condition that Mac has and I am thankful that she has brought this to the worlds attention. Be thankful that the condition(being fat) you have can be changed. These kids have no choice. Here is an idea. Alot of people have disabitlites, make everyone ride a cart. If that was that case no one would be singled out.

We are in a world were there are alot of disabilities and illnesses lets just be aware of that.

I...If your thinking that because your back hurts your club should cancel your championship is anyway related to what this girl has you are ignorant. My son also has the same condition that Mac has and I am thankful that she has brought this to the worlds attention...

I'm sorry to hear that kramers and hope your son will defeat the odds and get better. Your post shows that being objective is much harder the more affected you are. Put emotions aside - if one is unable to do something - why should everybody else be put in disadvatage to "level it out" ? I'm not against allow disabled people participate in life activities - I'm against changing the playing field to "simulate a competition". It's not only carts, it's the whole paranoia of handicapped events. I can't wait for the Olimpic Games, where fastest sprinter will have to start without shoes to give less talented / developed / healthy (pick one) a easy shot to compete. Nonsense.

It's objective and logical. I can't believe not many people see it this way - we're getting weak pressured by the "public opinion" supported by polictical correctness.
Alot of people have disabitlites, make everyone ride a cart

I said that in the first post. If EVERYONE can use carts - I'd have no problem with it at all.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am being objective and not ignorant. I guess you all forget the days when blacks and women were not allowed to play because of their skin color and boobs and not their ability to play the game. Things change. Whats the motto here, Suck It Up!!! Like I said in my first post, you should all be thankful that your lives are so perfect. My hope is that you never have to tell your child he can't do something because some people are afraid to face disabilities and illnesses. Is it that you are afraid that someone who is not physically up to par is better than all of you combined at the game you love? Sounds like it to me!

oh c'mon. Comparing inability to play (keyword: PLAY ) a game on a competitive level to racial or sexist discrimination is "objective and not ignorant" ? Give me a break. Is competing in a PGA / LPGA as essential as eduaction, right to employment, freedom or right to live ????
It's a freakn' game . Anybody can play the game, not everybody is entitled to be playing on the tour, unless he/she can fit the required criteria. That includes walking. Why is that more important than talent? Why is lower back problem less important? It also prevents a player from being competitive - but to him/her you don't have a problem to say "suck it up" ?!?
IMHO you're missing the point. The whole idea of competition is, that the better player wins. He/she could be better due to talent or physical ability, but the requirement is an even playing field. Giving one player advantage (for whatever reason) is not fair to the competitors with "perfect life" as you call it. I can understand if you'd argue, that riding a cart isn't really that much of an advantage, but if requirement of walking is part of the rules of the competition - it should not be broken.
After all - there are rules of competition. If you bend any of them for a single (or a group) of players - competition is being changed and becomes bogus.

oh c'mon. Comparing inability to play (keyword:

It is exactly the same. Discrimination is discrimination no matter how YOU try to spin it. If walking is such an intricate part of the game why did they invent carts to begin with? Her ability to play the game has been proven along with her ability to stand up for what she knows is right, she is only fourteen and we could all learn alot from her.

...It is exactly the same. Discrimination is discrimination no matter how YOU try to spin it. If walking is such an intricate part of the game why did they invent carts to begin with?.. .

Who are you to judge if it is or not part of the game? The game has rules. ALL of the rules apply. One of them requires competitors to walk. You can call it stupid, you can call it not important - it's a rule, the same as 14 clubs, the same as penalties for hitting OB, etc, etc. You either play by the rules or not - there is no inbetween.

Carts exist for recreational golf. There are even special carts for disabled people, which allow you to swing w/o getting out of the cart - and it's great, why wouldn't everybody be able to play the game. They don't compete on the professional tour however - and if you don't see the difference - there is no point of arguing with you, because you're not objective enough and can't bring any other arguments except for feelings and emotions. You've right to your opinion, I've right to mine. Let's leave it at that.

suck it up... I may end up in a hole here by referencing the past but here goes: they didn't have carts at St Andrews so don't use them now... I know I know, they didnt have 460CC drivers or titanium...

she gets a clear advantage there with a cart, especially since most of those competitions are held during the summer in the south... she's shaded in a cart while other girls walk in 90 degree heat... thats a clear advantage, I dont care what her disability is, if she can't play by the rules then she shouldn't play at all

its like when I was younger parents moaned and groaned about not letting girls play ice hockey, then when they were allowed it took one hit, one injury and they complained again... if you step on the ice with boys you play by our rules

same applies here...

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

btw that discrimination crap is bogus... I'm sick of hearing it, go save the world...

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Rafcin, although I don't agree with your opinion I have enjoyed arguing it with you. As for DDbowdoin, I am not trying to save the world just trying to see an amazing girl have her day with the sport you all love. Instead of worrying about the clubs in your bag why don't take 5 minutes and research what her condition is and be proud of what she accomplished in the sport you all love. I know it won't change your mind but you could be at least more informed when arguing your point. But I am sure that would take 5 minutes away from your game. Maybe you could print it out and read it while your walking from hole to hole, because I am sure you never take a cart.

And BTW DDbowdin, the ice hockey comment somehow tells me that you are one of the people who would still want to keep the women out of your clubs and out of your games. Way to not sound discriminatory.

...I am sure you never take a cart.

are you kidding? I'm 230lbs. I take cart whenever I can

I'm glad you're not taking it personally, being so close to the subject of this discussion is not easy, I'm sure. It's good thing to talk about it w/o pulling out guns at each other.

haha.... you bet pal, way to go Augusta...

Daniel Duarte

haha.... you bet pal, way to go Augusta...

it's one thing to argue a point, another to be rude and ignorant. This post adds no value to the discussion. get a clue DD...

Note: This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!