IGNORED

Tiger's Poor (or Childish or Angry or Unprofessional) Antics

wrx_junki
Note: This thread is 5370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If by

Hey man, thanks for the critique of my entire post. I don't agree with anything you said but as of right now it's a free country. He shouldn't stop it because an armchair quarterback says to, no. He should stop it because until he does he'll never be the greatest golfer in the world. I believe they call it a "gentlemans game".And, it really turns alot of decent people against him. And, you can think of golfers as self employed but they are not. If he only made money when he played then I'd agree but he gets paid alot form numerous companies and he represents them. And, he gets a pass for his actions because he's Tiger Woods. Can you imagine Byron Nelson or Ben Hogan acting that way. Being a champion is much much more than what you shoot. And, until he changes he'll never be the greatest. But, alot of people on here and I'm sure Tiger also could care less. Just kinda speaks alot to the moral decay of our society in general I guess. Try walking down the sidewalk infront of a school here in the good ole south and see what using that kind of language will get ya! I really believe he'll change in a couple of years when his kids start dropping the "F" bomb...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, thanks for the critique of my entire post. I don't agree with anything you said but as of right now it's a free country. He shouldn't stop it because an armchair quarterback says to, no. He should stop it because until he does he'll never be the greatest golfer in the world. I believe they call it a "gentlemans game".And, it really turns alot of decent people against him. And, you can think of golfers as self employed but they are not. If he only made money when he played then I'd agree but he gets paid alot form numerous companies and he represents them. And, he gets a pass for his actions because he's Tiger Woods. Can you imagine Byron Nelson or Ben Hogan acting that way. Being a champion is much much more than what you shoot. And, until he changes he'll never be the greatest. But, alot of people on here and I'm sure Tiger also could care less. Just kinda speaks alot to the moral decay of our society in general I guess. Try walking down the sidewalk infront of a school here in the good ole south and see what using that kind of language will get ya! I really believe he'll change in a couple of years when his kids start dropping the "F" bomb...

What the hell does swearing have to do with ones greatness in a game? He'll never be the greatest because some dude doesn't think so because he uses some profanity?

It turns a few people off. Most people don't care that he swears from time to time. Why? Because it's real. most Everyone in the adult world swears and are around it. Moral decay of society in general? What moral decay? The fact that minorities and women have more rights than ever? The fact that people of any sexuality can pursue a pleasurable life without harassment or persecution by most people, including the government? That more and more people around the world speak out against wars and such? That many forms of harassment and igotry aren't accepted anymore? What moral decay are you speaking of? I know some right-wingers think it's bad homosexuality exists and that people that are non-white are gaining more and more equality...but I think most people enjoy this because it is morally correct. Yeah, society has changed but why is that wrong? Why is it decay when we are actually growing and changing and become INCLUSIVE? When did swearing after a screw-up become a moral decay issue? I love how you imply using a word such as a swear will get you a beating in "good 'ol south (a real rich history or morals...lol) and yet speak of moral decay? That doesn't make sense. Fighting is far more immoral than using a word. Seriously people, it's a word. Stop trying to censor a free society. Grow up.

Stop trying to censor a free society. Grow up.

There's a major difference between censorship, on the one hand, and responsibility/civility/decorum, whatever you think the latter should consist of. If it doesn't bother you, OK, that's your right, even if I may disagree. But let's not start linking this whole thing to "censorship" and "free society."

• Administrator
Can you imagine Byron Nelson or Ben Hogan acting that way.

Or Bobby Jones?!?!

Oh wait, he actually hit someone with a golf club he threw once? Oh, shucks. You were born in 1963, and Hogan and Nelson played when there was almost no TV coverage, and certainly nothing like today. All that means is that they're probably irrelevant as far as this type of commentary goes. During the two rounds I walked around at Bridgestone following golfers other than Tiger Woods, I counted no less than 17 other PGA Tour pros swearing, cursing, or aggressively slamming their clubs. It's not a Tiger-only issue.
I really believe he'll change in a couple of years when his kids start dropping the "F" bomb...

That's already been responded to. I heard my parents swear when I was a kid. Not a lot, but I knew they did it. I also knew that I was NOT allowed to do it. Just as my kid knows she cannot, regardless of how often she hears me (not very often) or Tiger (even less frequently) or anyone else (more often than I'd like, but hey, she's been taught well).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Iacas is right. Everyone sees Tiger cuss and get angry more because he gets the most coverage on TV. If they had the same amount of coverage on J.B Holmes, or Anthony Kim, or Sergio Garcia, or John Daly for pete's sake, then it wouldn't be such a big deal with Tiger.

Every single golfer I know has cussed or gotten mad in a round of golf. ITS GOLF. It's bound to happen to everyone. Showing emotion is a natural response to a difficult or unacceptable situation. So what if Tiger shows his emotions some more than others? His career has proven that it has worked for him. So it's not a bad thing.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I've attended dozens and dozens of tournaments over the years. Tiger wouldn't even make my Top 20 list for guys that act out on a golf course. I've seen players snap clubs over their knees, throw their golf bag, tell fans off, get in the face of their competitor, throw clubs etc etc.

Every shot he takes is on television. There are rounds he doesn't do anything - there are rounds where he'll swipe a club, pound a club, or say "Dammit Tiger" 2 or 3 times. Trust me - he's not close to having the worst temper.

Some of you guys with the "this is a gentlemen's game" bullshit should get off your high horse and go watch Wimbledon.

The unfortunate thing is many on this board don't care of the issue, if Tiger does it it must be right. Using the word groupie is an understatement on this board. Its like Bush said about the terrorists, you are either with or against. With Tiger if you criticize you are a hater and if you don't tow the company line, you have an agenda. People like me who love Tiger, and what he brings to golf, expect more out of him, but when I question his antics I get responses about my handle. One guy even said he is an Els fan, he has an agenda. Its ok to question each other and have different beliefs, my belief is not looking like a schmuck. If I am playing with people and am cursing and acting like a pouty 5 year old, I will look at myself and tell myself to grow up. He isn't going to hit a better shot because he dropped 5 F-bombs the previous hole after a crappy par. Its about self control, and for someone who has every shot shown on TV, he should think more about his self-control and keeping his cool. Maybe look for different ways to express his anger.

Or Bobby Jones?!?! Oh wait, he actually hit someone with a golf club he threw once? Oh, shucks..

Except that Jones was embarassed by his behavior and taught himself to change. Woods is quoted as saying "that's just me." IMO, big difference.

Except that Jones was embarassed by his behavior and taught himself to change. Woods is quoted as saying "that's just me." IMO, big difference.

Tiger said this week that he's been trying to get better with it. He acknowledged that it's bad behavior. It'd be nice if he could get rid of it.

All I know is if I won some kind of contest and I could take my kids and play in a foursome with a pro golfer,Guess what, I'd take Phil Mickelson or Justin Leonard or Tom Lehman, and at least 20 others before I'd take Tiger. There really is no real excuse for the way he acts. He should grow up!!!...If he was my child I would bend him over my knee and spank him. He's a role model for thousands of kids even if he doesn't want to be. If he doesn't want to be a role model then why don't he take his foul mouth and childish behavior and get off of the tour. What do I tell my kid if he drops an "F" bomb at school?
What if he comes home and says "hey, Tiger does it!!". I really think most people think it's wrong and trust me, I can go on and on about it if ya'll want!

What the hell does swearing have to do with ones greatness in a game? He'll never be the greatest because some dude doesn't think so because he uses some profanity?

Funny how you jumped to "beating". I didn't try to imply that you'd get a beating. You might get arrested or at least a fine for some kind of profanity around children. Didn't mean to imply you'd get a beating. Ya know I do wonder how the networks get by with profanity on their broadcast. Do they have to pay a fine everytime he swears?

Titanfann your too wound up. Teach your kids morals and you won't have to worry about roll models teaching them.

Enduro didn't mention beating till the 5th paragraph. He didn't jump to it.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

All I know is if I won some kind of contest and I could take my kids and play in a foursome with a pro golfer,Guess what, I'd take Phil Mickelson or Justin Leonard or Tom Lehman, and at least 20 others before I'd take Tiger. There really is no real excuse for the way he acts. He should grow up!!!...If he was my child I would bend him over my knee and spank him. He's a role model for thousands of kids even if he doesn't want to be. If he doesn't want to be a role model then why don't he take his foul mouth and childish behavior and get off of the tour. What do I tell my kid if he drops an "F" bomb at school?

Have you seen Woods in a relaxed non-competitive environment? Golf Channel aired a contest a while back where a bunch of folks got to play with him and he was very nice to all of them. Never once showed a temper. He apparently has a good sense of humor off the course. There was a clinic a while back with Tiger and Anthony Kim where Tiger was making fun of himself while hitting shots on the range. He would explain to the crowd, "I'm going to hit such and such shot," and when he'd fail to pull it off, he would make fun of himself. During a tournament with the same scenario, he tends to get mad at himself and have an angry outburst. It would be good if he could take some of that self-deprecating humor and use it during tournaments instead of angry outbursts. I tend to make fun of myself when I hit a poor shot. I think it's a good way of dealing with it. It's just a game after all.

Funny how you jumped to "beating". I didn't try to imply that you'd get a beating. You might get arrested or at least a fine for some kind of profanity around children. Didn't mean to imply you'd get a beating. Ya know I do wonder how the networks get by with profanity on their broadcast. Do they have to pay a fine everytime he swears?

Not sure about the networks but Tiger definitely gets fined for his behavior. Probably the most fined player on Tour by far. Of course the fines are a drop in the bucket for Mr. Billionaire. If they really want to straighten him up, they should create a rule where excessively bad behavior leads to penalty strokes during the tournament.

Titanfann your too wound up. Teach your kids morals and you won't have to worry about roll models teaching them.

Not "that" wound up. And, I don't mind a player showing emotion. I just think there are more appropiate ways to do it in front of women and children. I love your sig my the way..cussin hacker... (I should have picked shanking slicer..but I bet it was already taker ) and I do throw out a cuss word or two now and then. Just not on TV or when my kids are along.

What a joke you are Elsfan. Instead of discussing the issue, you practically call anyone who says "teach your own kids morals, don't make Tiger do it" a terrorist? Get real.

The unfortunate thing is many on this board don't care of the issue, if Tiger does it it must be right.

Care to quote someone saying "If Tiger does it, it's fine by me" or anything like that?

With Tiger if you criticize you are a hater and if you don't tow the company line, you have an agenda.

No, cuz it can't possibly be that the majority opinion simply

differs from your own. That can't possibly it. We're all "towing" the line (not toe-ing it, no...).
He isn't going to hit a better shot because he dropped 5 F-bombs the previous hole after a crappy par.

Sports psychologists would disagree with you. Certain types of people have to dispel their bad energy differently than other types. Tiger's not a "play it close to the vest, show no emotion - positive or negative - type."

Maybe look for different ways to express his anger.

Maybe he could call people terrorists?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator
Maybe he could call people terrorists?

This thread's going nowhere fast.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!