• Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
    Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope. 15% off TourStriker (no code).
  • Popular Now

• Because there's a difference between a ball and a hole. A ball is easy to imagine "replace this ball with the one you're hitting," while a hole provides an "edge" and isn't really something you'd "replace" with the ball you're putting. I'm fully on board with "B" being the choice above, but I also think that many would choose "Z" if you say "a ball out." I get their logic: the entire ball is "out" of the hole, and people can picture aiming their ball at that ghost ball. But, yes, it differs from the way we talk about a hole, and that would make "left lip" and "half a ball out" the same. Yes, it feels inconsistent, but a cup and a ball are not consistent either, and I just know I've seen some contentious polls on "a ball out" more than I've seen them get contentious over "a cup out." FWIW I rarely use balls as the aiming point because of this. I feel pretty comfortable that most people will say B, but I've seen enough "ball out" polls to see that a lot of people pick Z. Yeah, I was bugged by you saying something that was almost a half inch difference at Sand Valley. 🙂 I forget the details but I think I asked if you played it a ball out (1.68") and you said something like "yeah, half a cup (2.125")." Then I said "which is it?" and you said "they're the same thing" as if the half inch didn't matter… 😄 Heh.
    • Sounds like perhaps too much ulnar.
    • For me, "a cup out" means I am aiming at a spot just over 4 inches outside the edge of the actual hole, #2.  For "a ball out" I'm doing the same thing, aiming at a spot about 1.7 inches outside the hole.  Its a lot more crucial for "cup" measurements, the difference between #1 and #3 is over 4 inches, enough that a misunderstanding could result in a complete miss.  When the difference is 1.7 inches, a misunderstanding might mean the difference between left-center and right-center.
    • Why? The size of the ball is constant just like the size of the hole is constant. People might be better at gauging the size of the hole better than the size of the ball but the exact same logic should apply, right?
    • If I say a cup out, I mean no. 2. A ball out would be close to 3 in this example, just a little inside (since a ball is less than half a cup). That's what I mean when I say those things. Do others think differently?

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...