IGNORED

How Much do You Exercise?

ChetlovesMer

Do You Get 150 Minutes of Moderate Exercise Each Week AND 2 Days of Muscle Building Exercise?   

22 members have voted

1. 1. How much exercise do you get (not counting time on the course)?

• I get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise each week and I get at least 2 days of muscle building exercise.
    • I get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise each week but I don't get at least 2 days of muscle building exercise.
    • I get at least 2 days of muscle building exercise but I don't get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise each week.
    • I rarely get the recommended amount of exercise.
    • I almost never get enough exercise.
  2. 2. How structured is your exercise?

• My exercise is very structured. I follow a workout plan.
    • Most of my workouts are structured, but if I end up doing something pretty physical, I'll count that as my workout and skip the scheduled workout.
    • All of my exercise comes from unstructured activities; Free time or leisure play.
    • I like to vary my exercise routines. I'll go structured for a while and then go unstructured.
    • I have to get super creative to get my workout in. I have to do wall-sits while waiting for my coffee to brew, or squats while I brush my teeth.
  3. 3. How's your exercise motivation?

• I workout regularly and rarely take anytime off.
    • I'm very streaky. I'll workout for a while and then take some time off, not too much time, because I need to get back into it.
    • I'm all over the place. Sometimes I work out for months straight. Sometimes I take a few months off.
    • I'll workout or exercise for a couple of days and then take extended time off. Then start again for a couple of days. Rinse and repeat.
    • I can't even find time or motivation to start exercising.

According to the Center For Disease Control Adults need 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week and at least 2 days of muscle strengthening activity each week. 

My company just set us all up with an ap that tracks our daily exercise. Based on our frequency and consistency we can save money on our health insurance. How are your exercise habits?

Edited by ChetlovesMer
type-o

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see brisk walking is included in the CDC guidelines. I walk for 1+ hours 6x a week. I am naturally a fast walker, but I try to up my pace during these exercise walks and probably average around 12 minutes/mile but that depends on route/elevation changes. One of these walks is a weekly round of golf, and while the walking is intermittent, I still walk at a fast pace as I am usually trying to keep up with at least 2 riders.

I've been doing Fit for Golf workouts 3x weekly since September so that includes strength building exercise.

So I guess I meet both requirements!

Regarding motivation: Once I start doing something, I tend to quickly get into a rigid routine and stick to it. But if something breaks the routine, like say Thanksgiving 4-day weekend, it is really tough to get going again.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Some good metrics.

1. Get 7000 steps a day (formerly 10000)

2. Get quality sleep every day

3. Resting HR below 60

4. For men: A minimum Vo2 max is 35 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram per minute. But optimally, men could be above 50.

For women: A minimum Vo2 max is 30 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram per minute

5. Do speed training to enhance fast twitch muscle fibers. We loose this muscle type more as we age than others.

6. Lift heavy, if you can.

For me, I play volleyball once or twice a week. So I hit this athletic complex movement workout, and cardio. I also do weightlifting 2-4x a week. I need to get back into cardio.

The more you move the healthier you’ll be regardless of weight. Mortality rates decrease when comparing overweight people who workout and overweight people who are sedimentary. So, isolating for weight. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I voted;

1) get 150+ but not / days if muscles

2) structured but if do something strenuous may occasionally skip

3) rarely take time off

Most of my exercise is treadmill & stationary bike and prior to my surgery I was logging at least 10,000 steps, 10 Flights if stairs, 5 miles 3,400+ calorie burn per day per my Fitbit.  My primary goal was to get the calorie burn do often I was above the other items.

I do feel I need to incorporate muscles just had problems fitting it in time wise.

now to read the comments above.

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

My company just set us all up with an ap that tracks our daily exercise. Based on our frequency and consistency we can save money on our health insurance.

I’m not sure how I feel about them tracking my exercise, just like I do not what my auto insurance company tracking my car via GPS. However I do submit proof of an annual physical and that gets me a $250 extra deposit to the HSA.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

10 minutes ago, StuM said:

I’m not sure how I feel about them tracking my exercise, just like I do not what my auto insurance company tracking my car via GPS. However I do submit proof of an annual physical and that gets me a $250 extra deposit to the HSA.

It's voluntary if that makes a difference. You don't have to participate. But you won't get the special discount. 

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

2. Get quality sleep every day

3. Resting HR below 60

4. For men: A minimum Vo2 max is 35 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram per minute. But optimally, men could be above 50.

I fall short on sleep.  Per my Fitbit most nights is 6-7 hours and the score them as “fair”

My resting heart rate has come down a lot since I started losing weight in July.  Running low 50’s but not sure how accurate the Fitbit is on that and not sure I believe that number.  It has moved up slightly I stopped exercising due to surgery.

i do not measure oxygen/vo2.  How do you measure that?

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

12 hours ago, StuM said:

We started Medicare last year.   They have continuously tried to get us to complete an evaluation health survey.  Each time we have disposed of it.   I'm not sure they would use that volunteered information when evaluating benefits. Still, I don't think I want to take the chance that some predetermined medical procedure gets rejected because of a survey.   We do get free memberships to two gyms with pools and utilize them frequently. 

Because I'm looking at a possible second spinal surgery, I've tried to be diligent in working at the gym.   More importantly, stretching is something I need all of the time and not just on gym days.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I lift weights 5-6x a week with the primary goal to build muscle and strength. I have been working out pretty regularly for the last 10+ years and know how to properly set up a workout routine.

Currently my focus is bulking, aka eating in a caloric surplus with the goal to promote muscle growth and add size/weight. I don't track my calories, but I tracked everything I ate almost daily for ~5 years so I am very in-tune with how my body responds to certain foods and how much I need to eat depending on if I want to gain, lose, or maintain my weight. 

I don't do as much cardio as I probably should, especially during the winter.

I try to be aware of my sleep and get at least 7 hours per night. In the last 31 days I'm averaging 7hr36min of sleep and in the last 12 months I'm averaging 7hr43min.

In the last 31 days my avg. resting HR is 56bpm and over the last 12 months my avg. is 48bpm.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

13 hours ago, StuM said:

i do not measure oxygen/vo2.  How do you measure that?

Go to a facility that can measure it ;). You need to run while being hooked up to a mask that measures your oxygen. 

There are some online calculators, and based on certain procedures you can estimate it by using heart rate. 

44 minutes ago, klineka said:

I try to be aware of my sleep and get at least 7 hours per night. In the last 31 days I'm averaging 7hr36min of sleep and in the last 12 months I'm averaging 7hr43min.

Note, time in bed does not equal amount of sleep. If you want 8 hours of sleep, then you really need to be in bed for 9-10 hours. Pending how good you are at falling asleep once in bed. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Just now, saevel25 said:

Note, time in bed does not equal amount of sleep. If you want 8 hours of sleep, then you really need to be in bed for 9-10 hours. Pending how good you are at falling asleep once in bed. 

My main issue with sleep is "Turning off".  I swear, as soon as I lie down my brain starts to run through tomorrow's To-Do List, thus I may be in bed but clearly not sleeping.  And once I wake up in the morning, usually before the alarm, I more often than not just stay awake. You would think "just rollover and go back to sleep" but that seldom happens.

Stuart M.

I answered 1 on all three. I’ve been doing Fit for Golf for well over a year and have 311 workouts (3 per week). My wife and I usually walk at least an hour the other days when we don’t play golf. Our walks are pretty fast too. In the summer, we also pick up trash on the beach during our walks. You really feel it on those walks with all the squatting. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, StuM said:

My main issue with sleep is "Turning off".  I swear, as soon as I lie down my brain starts to run through tomorrow's To-Do List, thus I may be in bed but clearly not sleeping.  And once I wake up in the morning, usually before the alarm, I more often than not just stay awake. You would think "just rollover and go back to sleep" but that seldom happens.

Have you tried Melatonin Gummies?  

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

If you want 8 hours of sleep, then you really need to be in bed for 9-10 hours. Pending how good you are at falling asleep once in bed. 

This is something I'm actually good at. Very rarely will it take me more than 5 minutes to fall asleep once I get in bed. 

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This is something I'm actually good at. Very rarely will it take me more than 5 minutes to fall asleep once I get in bed. 

must be the honest clean livin'

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, StuM said:

Also not sure what your habits are before bed, but things like having a routine, not having a TV on/in the bedroom, not being on your phone and doing some reading while winding down before bed are all strategies that could help if you aren't doing them already.

I've read some recommendations to stop phone/TV watching like an hour before you want to go to sleep.

Edited by klineka
  • Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

30 minutes ago, klineka said:

Also not sure what your habits are before bed, but things like having a routine, not having a TV on/in the bedroom, not being on your phone and doing some reading while winding down before bed are all strategies that could help if you aren't doing them already.

I've read some recommendations to stop phone/TV watching like an hour before you want to go to sleep.

1. Get morning sunlight. Like the light just as the sun comes up over the horizon. There is receptors in the eyes that react to that sunlight that triggers the circadian rhythm for the entire day. 
  2. Have a routine wake up and sleep schedule. 
  3. Do not drink caffeine with in 9-10 hours of bedtime. 
  4. Magnesium levels can be low, which is linked to poor sleep. 
  5. Keep the bedroom dark and cool (65-degrees). 
  6. Expect to be really alert 1 hour before your natural bedtime. This is a common and natural occurrence in people. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

6 hours ago, StuM said:

25 minutes ago, klineka said:

Also, if you are waking up at the same time before the alarm goes off (assuming it isn't hours before), that is a good thing.  Going back to sleep is what messes with the body's circadian rhythm. if you are waking up without the clock, you are doing well. Getting into sunlight as quickly as possible, as well, in the mornings is another good way of helping your sleep. And then everything @klineka said along with adding in not eating too close to bedtime.

Melatonin is a good option but just use it wisely.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Do not drink caffeine with in 9-10 hours of bedtime. 

🤣

• Funny 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets