IGNORED

new driver for beginner - Maxfli XS Tour Square Driver?

pxc
Note: This thread is 5413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a beginner. I have a cheap set of Accuity clubs from Dick's Sporting Goods I got just to see if I even liked golf, and it turns out I do. Overall the clubs are good enough for me to learn on, though I'm sure they're pretty bad. But the driver's face already has a dent in it. I imagine this isn't going to help me learn.

I've been looking around the web for drivers and came across this - http://www.golfgalaxy.com/galaxy/pro...ffset=1&s;_id=0

For the life of me I can't find quality reviews of this driver. It seems like a pretty good deal since it retails for $300, but I really have no idea. Heck I thought Maxfli only made balls.

I know there are great deals to be had on ebay for used clubs, so I'm open to that too. I'm looking for a some guidance. I won't pay $400 for a driver I'm not ready for, but I also don't want to replace my crappy driver with another crappy driver.

Thanks in advance for any advice you folks can offer.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

I demoed that exact driver when my previous driver broke. I would only describe it as adequate and it's probably only a little better than your Accuity.

I ended up going with a used Callaway driver which is worlds better.

However, I am relatively skilled with a driver. If you are still struggling with it with the driver, you probably can't beat that price.

Golf Galaxy has a used section which would probably serve you better in the long run.

In my Exodus on a 2.0
Driver..... FT-5 10* Draw
Fairway.. Big Bertha 2007 3w
Hybrids... 3DX DC 3 & 4 Ironwood
Irons...... TA6 5-DWedges.. CG-14 56* 2 dot, Niblick 37*Putter.... IC 2010

If it's only going to be a little better I don't think I'll bother. There are high-end used clubs for around the same price or a little more on ebay that I know will be better.

I've read good things about the Callaway FT-i LCG. I assume LCG means Low Center of Gravity. Most of my drives fade or slice so something to help with that would be nice.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Globalgolf has a used section with Nike SQ drivers ranging from $130 to $60. I just got a Wilson Prostaff Prolaunch square driver for $40 free shipping on ebay. Also, the Orlimar Fury QB is a good square-headed driver that can be found for around $50.

Driver: Hyper X Tour 10.5* Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Acer Select 5000 16* Ping Cushin Stiff Shaft
Irons: NDS 3-PW (missing #7, replaced with clone) True Temper Uniflex SpeedStep Shaft
Wedges: Acer XK Tour 56*10 Precision Stiff Shaft, Revolution 60*10 True Temper Wedgeflex

If you are looking for a driver to help straighten some drives out try a SQ Sumo. A tad bit heavier to keep me on plane.

What he said ^^^^

Go with the Nike Sumo² with square head... don't get a regular "Sumo." You can find used Sumo² 5900's on ebay with a variety of lofts... I've seen them go as low as $70.
Gear:
Divider Tour Cart Bag
Tight Lies Stand Bag
SQ Sumo² 5900 11.5° Driver
SQ Sumo² 7 Wood 21° SQ Sumo² 3-7 hybrids, 8-SW iron set SV Tour Black Satin 60° L Wedge (6° bounce) 64° L Wedge IC Series Milled 20/20 Mallet PutterBrush Tees rule. Period.Expensive balls- ProV1;...

Ok, thanks guys, I will check out the Sumos. $70-$120 sounds good to me.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°

Note: This thread is 5413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!