IGNORED

Putting

Note: This thread is 5393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me it's a few things, but I have no idea if they'll work for you, though (I'm an arc putter, not a straight back straight through guy.):

in order of use

PREGAME
• make good use of the practice green before going on the course

THINGS:
••create a triangle with the shoulders and the 2 arms; for consistency and predictability 'swing' that as a triangle unit.

••Keep the triangle somewhat connected with the chest for further stability and predictability.

••spend less time between final assessment of the putt and execution. (Less time for things to corrupt the instincts.)

••do a practice swing (I don't always though, though probably not a good idea on my part.)
during this practice swing •• make sure your clubface at impact is going to be square to the target line, or all bets and putts are OFF. (Some say this one detail is the most influential thing of all. I don't doubt them.)

* the following is unorthodox, but for lag putts and any kind of long putts, I tend to look at the hole more and trust my brain unconscious to do the work rather than me trying to calculate. Yeah once in a blue moon, I make bad contact cos I'm not watching the ball so much, but I find that over the aggregate it works out better for me. I make sure I practice both ways though, so if one day I feel less confident with one technique I can go to the other. The two techniques can be combined in various ways too.

Last round I didn't 3 putt once. Short game saved my tuckus once again.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

A thing that really helps my putting is to visualize pushing my club into the hole. After i make contact, i always follow through till my putter is pointing directly at the hole. Its hard to explain but this small change helped alot. Its almost as if i'm pushing the ball but i'm not.
Driver: Walter Hagen T3 Square
3 wood: Walter Hagen T3
Hybrids: Walter Hagen T3
Irons: Walter Hagen T3
Putter: Walter Hagen MalletChipper: EZ RollShoes: GreenJoyGlove: ReactBall: E5+ or HX Hot Bite16 years old

Honestly what helps me out the most is just focusing and concentrating more on a putt. Before each putt I'll picture in my head exactly where the ball would go if I were to putt it with "x" amount of power. Be sure to take into consideration the contours of the green. Most of the time I find them to be stronger than they look. I usually over-putt a lot so lately I have been loosening my grip and it has helped me a lot. Good luck, just focus more!

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

Also, commit to your putt. Trust your line and swing through smoothly. It helps more than you think.
905R 10.5* - Speeder (S) ::: 909F2 15.5* - VooDoo (S) ::: 909H 19* - VooDoo (S) ::: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11 & 60.07
MX-25 4-P - Dynamic Gold (S300)
Studio Style Newport 2 - 33/350
Pro V1Tour V2

I've definitely been there! I'm a new player (6 months) but have been committed to improving. Two months ago 3-5 putting on the green was pretty normal for me, even after getting to the green in 2 on a par 4. Now I'm close to always 2 putting and occasionally get the 1 putt.

The great thing about putting is that you can practice it anywhere. All you need is a cup and a few balls. Finding what works for you is the most important thing but of course you need some reference. I watch a lot of golf on TV and read all the magazines. I've gleaned a few things over the past few months:

- Line up the shot properly (with your feet).
- Focus on the ball at address (don't look up!)
- Palms facing each other, relax!
- Right elbow in, comfortable stance.
- Take practice strokes and make sure its relaxed and straight.
- Practice at home on the low carpet till you get your aim down.
- Practice on the putting greens (usually free) to get your distance down.

I hope this helps.

-Pat

- Pat

41 yrs. old, 3rd year playing and learning!
In my beginner bag:
--------------------------Driver/3W/3H - Nike Sumo SQ4H - TaylorMade Rescue5 iron - PW 2008 Callaway BB w/iBridsLW/SW/GW - 2010 Cleveland CG15Putter - 2008 Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7---------------------------

Try putting with only looking at the hole, if you can't do that then try glancing at the hole then taking your stroke looking at the ball right away without hesitation. This helps with distance control a lot and cuts down on the 3-putts.

« Keith »

Here's a suggestion that has nothing to do with how you swing the putter.

Pick a line on the ball or mark your own. I personally use a spinner to put a black ring around all my balls. Then align the line on the ball with your aim for the putt when you put the ball down. All you have to do is concentrate on striking the ball so it travels along that line. Although many people do it, trying to aim the ball visually from above is fraught with error.

If you watch pros carefully when they set up for putts, the vast majority are using this method.

I've definitely been there! I'm a new player (6 months) but have been committed to improving. Two months ago 3-5 putting on the green was pretty normal for me, even after getting to the green in 2 on a par 4. Now I'm close to always 2 putting and occasionally get the 1 putt.

I'm also new at this, this is my 2nd season and I've got about 12 rounds in since I first started. I find that now I'm getting to the greens in the same amount as you, but the putting is killing me. I'm still at 3-5 putts unless I get lucky getting it close to the pin when i first land on the green, which isn't common. I'm gonna take your advice and practice at home and head to the green a little more often when I'm at the driving range. at this point I have no clue how to judge distance, even though my aim has been improving significantly. (i played the front 9 at sea oaks in NJ Sunday and had 7 just missed puts. Either they were too fast but in line and rolled over, or they were in line and swirled out.) I picked up the Odyssey White Hot #1 yesterday and started on the carpet at home for about 10 min yesterday. now I'm excited to try the practice green this evening. (Before picking that up I was using a super heavy, $10 mallet type putter that was just way too heavy and it kept dragging during my putts. This new blade putter feels much better. I'm excited to give it a good tryout!!!) Thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going to give them a go.

What's In The Bag?

Driver - FT-i 10° Neutral Graphite Stiff
Fairway Metal - N/A
Irons - X-20 3-9 Std Steel Wedges - X-20 PW, AW, SW Std Steel Putter - White Hot XG #1 35" Bag - Ball - Loco

Note: This thread is 5393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • I had to think about this topic for a while. I don't tend to remember specific details about my putts, but a few do stand out in my mind so I guess they're worth noting. I don't know that I'd call them my favorite but it's close enough. #18 at Spooky Brook Might be the hardest 4' putt I've ever had. Pin was back right and I hit my third shot just to the right of it. The green slopes fairly severely back to front. I read the green but I knew the putt anyway as I've seen it before. I told the guys I was playing with that the putt was it was going to break almost 3' and if it doesn't go in I'd have a longer coming back up for par than I was looking at. It went in. #12 at Quail Brook I'm not even sure how to describe this green properly. It's not quite a two-tiered green, but the back and front are separated by a ridge that goes across the middle of it, with the green sloping harder off the front than the back. You can generally putt from the front to a back hole location but good luck keeping the ball on the green if you putt from back to front. On this particular day, I was looking at the latter. I had to putt up into the apron due to how the ball was going to break and that helped slow the ball down enough to hit the hole at the perfect speed. One of the rare birdies I've seen on that hole. #2 at Hyatt Hills Short par 5. This makes the list because it's the first eagle putt I've ever made, which funny enough happened the day after the first eagle I've ever made. I've made two eagles in all my life and they came on back to back days. I wasn't even planning on playing golf - it was a Monday - but I was doing some work at the place I used to work at when I was younger and catching up with some of the guys I've known for years. They were going out to play in the afternoon and had a spot available. I used to see these guys every day for years but we've never played together, so I said I'm in. I hit a really good approach shot into slope that separated the two tiers on the green and spun the ball closer to the hole. Had roughly 8' left to the hole, a downhill right to left breaker. One of the guys said, "You've got to make this, I've never seen an eagle before," and I said, "I've never made an eagle putt before." And then I made it. #17 at Stoneleigh @GolfLug's post reminded me of my own heroics on #17 a couple of years ago. The hole was back left, in the bottom tier. I hit my approach short of the green and flubbed my chip so it stayed on the top tier. I read how the putt was going to break after the ramp (is that what you call it?), then read my putt up to that point. It needed to basically die at that point because if it hit the slope with any kind of speed, it would long past the hole and possibly off the green. I hit the putt perfectly and holed the 40-footer center cup. #6 at Meadow at Neshanic Valley, #15 in the Round This was during the stroke play qualifier of my tournament. It might be a little bit of recency bias and I hit some really good long putts in the four rounds I played, but this 7-footer was my favorite putt of the entire tournament. The hole was cut on the top of a ridge. I hit my tee shot short right but hit a pretty good chip just long and below the hole. Play had backed up at this point, with the ladies waiting on the tee while we were finishing up. I hit the putt just a hair on the high side and it curled around the hole, fell back a couple of inches and stopped on lip. We all looked at it incredulously, "How does that not fall in?" Before I took my first step towards the hole, the ball must have thought the same thing and decided to drop.
    • I don't remember a ton of putts, but I've thought about this a bit and came up with 2 good ones. #5 at Mid-South: 2017 Newport Cup I remember the putt pretty well, but the surrounding details are a little hazy. I believe this was in my singles match against @cipher, and it was a hole he was stroking on. I had hit a mediocre approach to the front of the green and had what must have been a 50 foot putt to a back pin. If I remember correctly, @cipher was pretty close for an easy par at worst. I had @mvmac help me out with a read, which ended up being a great read by him. Hit the putt and jarred it for birdie. It was perfect speed, too, would have been an easy 2 putt if it hadn't gone in. I think we ended up tying for the hole. But I rarely make putts that long, and doing it to steal half a hole was really nice. #3 Fox Hollow (Links): 2023 Match Play This was on the third extra hole of a scratch match against a legitimate 0 handicapper. We had tied after 18 holes and traded pars on the first two extra holes. On the third extra hole, he had about 30 feet for birdie; I had about 25. We were on pretty much the exact same line. He missed his putt just on the low side, and I conceded the par. I felt good over this putt - I knew the break well and just needed good speed. I hit a great (not perfect) putt, and BAM, back of the cup for the victory on the 21st hole. I will say that the speed wasn't great, as it would have been a few feet past if it didn't hit the cup. But I wanted to give the ball a chance and take a bit of break out of it. I went on to win the match play tournament, which is my only tournament victory in a scratch event.
    • there will be lots of changes.  i mean, look at newey past, each team fell off a cliff when he moved on i think max is the magic bullet   if red bull loses him then whee are they going for drivers?   lots of young talent but he is a proven winner and i’m sure top engineers love to work with him  
    • I too, like @GolfLug, remember great wedge, iron shots, or my missed putts, more than my made putts. My most memorable recently, would be: #17 Old Course St. Andrews (last year) I had been putting awful all day (I started 3 putt, 4 putt, 3 putt, 3 putt), but found a putting stroke on the back 9 and was 1 under on the back going into 16 and of course I 3-putted it for a bogey. Got to 17 and my playing partner just hit it into the hotel, so I went a little more left and decided to not try and hit it over the hotel.  And as soon as my ball was in the air, I heard one of the other caddies do the chicken noise.  LOL My shot was a little more left than I wanted, about 185 yards, I hit a 6-iron and it was drawing right at the flag.  The pin was just to the right of he bunker and towards the front of the green. My ball hit short (and just missed going into said bunker) and stopped about 15 feet left of the hole. Had a little left to right break and as soon as I hit it, I knew it was in.  Birdie on the road hole, looked at the caddie and said not bad for a Chicken.  Parred 18 (missed 10 foot birdie putt) for a 35 on the back 9 at the Old Course. #18 Springfield G&CC Last year while playing in our season long match play event, my partner and I get the 18th hole needing to win the match to move on into the knockout round.  We are tied going into 18.  A tie and we lose on overall points by .5.  Our teaching pro is on the other team (very good golfer), so we were pretty sure we needed a birdie to have a chance to win the match, I hit on of the best drives I hit all day and had about 135 yards to the pin, but it was in a place where you didn't really want to be long.  So I hit a PW and it landed just short of the flag but released about 12 feet past the hole, so have a devilish putt coming back down the hill.  Our competitors were away and the pro missed his birdie putt by inches, I thought it was in when he hit it.  So after reading the putt, which probably had a 2 cup left to right break, I made the putt to win the match.   #15 Springfield G&CC A few years back, was playing in the first round of the Club Championship (against the previous years runner-up) and my putter was balky all day.  Got to the 15 hole, 2nd Par 5 on back, and was 3-down with 4 to play.  We both hit good drives, both hit good second shots and we both hit decent 3rd shots.  I was about 15 feet and he was just a hair longer.  He missed his putt, I had another slider putt down the hill, with about a foot of right to left break and made the putt.  I birded the next hole, to go 1 down, but not a memorable putt as I only needed a bogey to beat him on that hole, he had all kinds of issues going on.  Lost on 17, as he birdied it, right after I missed mine to lose 2&1.
    • Wordle 1,049 3/6* ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨 ⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩  

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...