IGNORED

Bunker Shots

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

im not sure if theres an older thread regarding bunkers, but i know i'm not the only one with questions as far as sand goes.

so when i first started playing golf, i was taught very few things about bunker shots.
1: open clubface
2: open stance
3: ball back in stance
4: hit about an inch of sand behind the ball.

it never really made sense to me. ive always thought a bunker shot was one of the hardest shots to make in golf and even for the easier shots there is no 1 way to do it. any opinions?

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

Looks good except #3...I play the ball middle stance or even forward in my stance (as Pelz suggests I believe). Open face, open stance, ball in the middle should allow you to create a nice out to in swing that easily gets the ball out time and time again.

Looks good except #3...I play the ball middle stance or even forward in my stance (as Pelz suggests I believe). Open face, open stance, ball in the middle should allow you to create a nice out to in swing that easily gets the ball out time and time again.

rmgators,

That's great advice. I improved my sand play by playing short shots where I play my driver and long shots by playing them where I would play a five iron. Stan Utley has a great article in golf digest about sand play that's contradictory to what people usually teach you may want to look into. http://www.golfdigest.com/utley/inde...eaking100.html

I agree, I play the ball middle or slightly forward in my stance. I dig my feet in the sand so my feet dont slip. I then make two half practice swings making a weight transfer onto my left leg with my knees bent. Aim an inch behind the sand, open the face and swing away. Remember if the sand doesnt make it out of the bunker on your swing then the ball wont.

Also when I dont have a lot of green to work with, I bring the club up much steeper. When I have a lot of green to work with I bring the club much farther back, it comes out a little lower and rolls a bit more.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

• Administrator
I agree with the Utley article, especially having the hand slighly behind the ball at address.

A good tip.

I work pretty hard on developing lots of different shots from bunkers with any number of clubs - even chipping with a 7-iron. But even with just a sand wedge or a lob wedge, there are a variety of shots you can play just by varying the loft on the club and the angle of attack. The best bunker players I've ever seen usually have great hands.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Until I read the chapter in Ben Hogan's "Power Golf" I was just a get out of a bunker type guy. After reading it, I'm now a get out of a bunker for accuracy type guy.

I'm not the greatest with reading comprehension, specifically not for something as detailed as a golf shot, but Hogan made it all quite simple. The chapter is only about 6 pages long (if I remember correctly).

The very first shot I tried after reading I holed out. The second shot bounced off the pin, then the third went in too! It was quite amazing.

You can find the book used on amazon for a couple of bucks. Definitely worth it!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Until I read the chapter in Ben Hogan's "Power Golf" I was just a get out of a bunker type guy. After reading it, I'm now a get out of a bunker for accuracy type guy.

hmm, thanks, i'll definitely look into that :]

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

Let me ask you guys something, do you always use a SW to get out of bunkers. I heard Faldo say the other day on TV that one of his favorite shots was hitting the 9I bunker shot. What is the advantage of that?
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Let me ask you guys something, do you always use a SW to get out of bunkers. I heard Faldo say the other day on TV that one of his favorite shots was hitting the 9I bunker shot. What is the advantage of that?

Good question, I've hit a PW with some success but a SW is much more reliable. The 9I will probably run a lot farther than a SW so maybe it is a good choice if you have a long bunker shot with a lot of green to work with?

I'd be interested to know how you guys deal with long bunker shots...I had one the other day and realized I really had no idea how to deal with it, just hit a SW as hard as I could and it only got halfway there. Should I square up the face more? Take more sand? Less sand?

• Administrator

A square blade 9-iron bunker shot is a great way to get the ball to roll once it hits.

I play any number of clubs from greenside bunkers (though rarely below 9I) depending on how much green I have to work with and how long the shot is (and the sand conditions, lie, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd be interested to know how you guys deal with long bunker shots...I had one the other day and realized I really had no idea how to deal with it, just hit a SW as hard as I could and it only got halfway there. Should I square up the face more? Take more sand? Less sand?

i read somewhere to concentrate more on your follow through (the more followthrough the farther the ball will go)

but to be honest i've tried it and i still suck at the long greenside bunker shot so good luck

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

Around here a lot of the public courses use local river sand in the bunkers. It compacts a lot and if it is wet at all if plays very firm. The nine irons shot works well on long bunker shots in this situation, even short shots out of shallow bunkers where if you open up a club with a lot of bounce it is easy to blade it.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

...I'd be interested to know how you guys deal with long bunker shots...

I'm using either 56 or 52 wedges and on longer bunker shots I simply deloft accordingly. I'm trying not to change my swing for the distance adjustments. I found it more consistant that way.

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!