IGNORED

Question for Those who Don't Root for Tiger

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Completely agree on the "constant" versus "isolated" theory. Even though I'm nowhere near the level of the players we're talking about, I experience this enough to definitely relate.

I have no problem with an airplane or helicopter overhead, making a ton of noise when I'm swinging a club. But after I've pulled the trigger and started the clubhead back, I could hear a twig snap and it'd throw me off completely.

Hell, sometimes it doesn't even have to be a noise. Just catch something out of the corner of my eye, and I'm done.

Case in point: I play in the early mornings, when everything is still wet with morning dew. Sometimes, I'll address the ball, everything's quiet... as I pull the club away, a tiny bit of grass clipping can jump off the ground and stick to the ball (because it's wet). I see this happening as I've already commited to the shot, but it's already there, and it's all I can think about at that point, and I wish that the dang blade of grass wouldn't have done that, and that's really irritating me that there's a blade of grass stuck to the ball, and I really should've stopped this swing when I saw it happen but it's too late now, and I wish I wouldn't let stuff like this bother me, but for some reason it does, and I hope I can just make solid contact, but that dang blade of grass...

Needless to say, nothing good can come of this.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

At least give good reasons, eh?

He has more money than I ever gona make, he's 10 years younger and in perfect health, plays golf every day and he is married to a chick I can only see in a magazine? Good enough?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hell, sometimes it doesn't even have to be a noise. Just catch something out of the corner of my eye, and I'm done.

.... That's me.! Move the darn cart, would you.?!? ..l.o.l..
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

Black noise, white noise, green noise. Its all the same to me. I'm not as competitive as I used to be so I really don't let things bother me as much any more. If someone talks and I mess up a shot I don't let it get to me as much. That might be because every shot isn't for $10,000. If I have a bad round I'll come out tomorrow and try again.

He was the story. As soon as the majority of people care more about whatever else, the networks will stop focusing on him. And, what's worse, this isn't Tiger's fault. If it's anyone's, it's collectively "yours" and "ours" - the folks that consume the media. Seems awfully silly to blame the player for the coverage you/we have a hand in heaping on him. At least give good reasons, eh? I may think Cody's reason (i.e. "Tiger occasionally swears") may be silly, but at least it's something Tiger himself can control.

C'mon Erik, I fully understand that ratings are what rules on television and Tiger brings in the ratings. You are as much of a golf nut as I am. Would you rather see a good 5 iron to 3 feet by Oglivie who doesn't bring in the ratings or see Tiger grind out a 6 footer to stay at +12 and still miss the cut.

I wish I would have kept the 2nd round of the US Open on my DVR to count how many times the announcer reminded us of Tiger missing his first cut in a major. Thanks, ESPN, like I didn't get it the first 30 times over the 6 hours of coverage. I know it's not Tiger's fault. I'm sure if he had his way he would rather those dismal rounds not be televised.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I too know it is not Tiger's fault, but in the press room after each day of a tournament, the first thing most leaders get ask is something about Tiger.

I was surprised that one of the idiots didn't ask Chris DiMarco about what Tiger had to say about Chris's Mother dying. Sometimes I admire how restrained the players are when this kind of crap happens to them.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Β 

I was surprised that one of the idiots didn't ask Chris DiMarco about what Tiger had to say about Chris's Mother dying. Sometimes I admire how restrained the players are when this kind of crap happens to them.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But in this particular case, there were obvious parallels between DiMarco and Woods... both were asked about each other's situation probably on a daily basis.

• Administrator
C'mon Erik, I fully understand that ratings are what rules on television and Tiger brings in the ratings. You are as much of a golf nut as I am. Would you rather see a good 5 iron to 3 feet by Oglivie who doesn't bring in the ratings or see Tiger grind out a 6 footer to stay at +12 and still miss the cut.

We're in the minority in that we want to see good GOLF when we tune in. Most everyone else wants to see good STORIES when they turn in, and "Tiger" is a "main character" in a lot of previous stories, so a lot of people recognize him. Even a bad James Bond movie will bring out a lot of moviegoers, because they recognize the name.

We're in the minority. You've missed the point by asking ME what I'd rather see - I'm just being realistic (and pointing out that it's silly to blame Tiger for something he cannot control - the public's fascination with him).

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

You've missed the point by asking ME what I'd rather see - I'm just being realistic (and pointing out that it's silly to blame Tiger for something he cannot control - the public's fascination with him).

I don't blame him for what the networks do. I guess I root against him because I like to go against what the networks want. I guess I'm a bit of an anti-establishment person. It's just like back in the 80's watching football on sunday's. CBS always showed the Dallas Cowboys and it drove me nuts to the point where I didn't like them.

I agree Tiger is the best in the game. Just don't show me him Grinding out a 5 footer for double bogey.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Let's just put it this way.

Do you know anyone from Jack's generation that sees him on tv now and says, "Man, I've always hated that guy?" Nah, because everyone loves him. But when Jack first started coming up, people DID hate that guy, because he was beating up on Arnold Palmer, who was considered "The King," and he had an everyman type of following (his Army). Jack was this big blonde machine that won everything in sight as an amateur, then proceeded to do the same in the professionals. Ultra professional, all business, not particularly friendly. The complete opposite of Arnie. In fact, he knocked Arnie right off his throne.

But over time, people started realizing, "Hey, this guy's great. Maybe the greatest," and started warming up to him. And now, only a complete schmuck would say, "Man, screw Jack Nicklaus."

So... in thirty years, do you want to be the schmuck that's all, "Man, screw Tiger Woods."

• Administrator
But over time, people started realizing, "Hey, this guy's great. Maybe the greatest," and started warming up to him. And now, only a complete schmuck would say, "Man, screw Jack Nicklaus."

I dunno. Jeff and I both pretty much said "Man, screw Jack Nicklaus" in the podcast (ep 31) we put online today...

Click the link in the show notes and perhaps you'll see why. But anyway, back to the topic at hand... I'll start another thread on Jack.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

He has more money than I ever gona make, he's 10 years younger and in perfect health, plays golf every day and he is married to a chick I can only see in a magazine? Good enough?

Now that's funny...

But seriously folks, the anti Tiger faction seems to be rooting against the media as much as against Tiger. You can count me in that camp too. Tiger is the greatest now and perhaps ever, but it does get a bit tiresome when when the prism through which all tv coverage is viewed is tinted orange and black. The same goes for Wie, Jeff Gordon, Danica Patrick, and Donovan McNabb. Eric, you are so right that it is not his fault. His honesty and self deprication are refreshing when he does not live up to his expectations ( spaz comes to mind.) I must give kudos though to the XM radio PGA coverage guys. When Wie was nowhere near the leaderboard, they didn't talk about her at all, unlike the tv coverage. I think it was the Thursday of the John Deere. On a side note, if Tiger continues his strategy of irons off the tee, he might be unbeatable in the Majors. Tiger from the fairway is so much tougher than from the rough.

In The Bag:
R7 425 10.5 Fujikara ReAx stiff
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
Rescue Dual 16 deg 3i hyb
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

I probably don't belong here 'cos I root for Tiger each and every time.

One incident stands out to me more than anything else and to me proves his class - and this when he didn't win the tournament.

At the Open a few years back (the one held in Britain - I'm English and will always refer to it as The Open), Tiger and Monty were in contention after the 2nd round, then the wind started to REALLY blow on the afternoon of the Saturday. Tiger shoots something like 81 to put him out of contention, Monty shoot 85 to put him even further out. Afterwards they were both asked for interviews, Tiger was his normal self not blaming anything other than himself, and Monty stormed off without so much as a "Not today thank-you".

The next day Monty is off first and flies rounf the course in like 2 and a half hours shooting in the 80's. What does Tiger go and do? Well he shoots the low round of the day in putting together a 65.

To me that just shows the gulf in class between those 2, and not just their golf game, but them personally.

In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
The next day Monty is off first and flies rounf the course in like 2 and a half hours shooting in the 80's. What does Tiger go and do? Well he shoots the low round of the day in putting together a 65.

That might be a good topic for

this .

I enjoy watching good golf, I don't care who the player is. In the day of 24 hour cable sports, the web, etc. the media will grab on to something and beat it into the ground. I'm not the biggest Tiger fan but I do enjoy watching greatness.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

I don't root for Tiger and with exception of this years British Open in which I did because of his dad. That tournament confirmed the fact that tiger will be ok.

I have no doubt that Tiger is the best player in the world. The best since Jack who was the best since Bobby Jones. Tiger's longevity has yet to be seen, but so far it looks like there will be no limit to what he will accomplish. Would you rather "give" him everything? That would be so very boring. Or would you rather watch him battle it out with other great players of the time? I root for a guy like Corey Pavin! Now there is a story. That was GOLF! That was a guy like me and you, who can't hit the ball 280 without lying, taking on some golfing machines and coming out on top.

I root for a guy like Corey Pavin! Now there is a story. That was GOLF! That was a guy like me and you, who can't hit the ball 280 without lying, taking on some golfing machines and coming out on top.

Dan, like you, I root for the guys like Corey, Fred Funk, etc who are not the modern day bombers. Yet, I just can not get enough of watching Tiger out there trying his guts out on every single shot. I mean, this guy has enough of everything. If he retired tomorrow, he would have had the second best career, ever... More money than the US Treasury, and all the leisure time to enjoy it. Instead, he is out there grinding it out with everybody else week after week. His sheer love of the game overrides everything else. I believe he is truly one of "us", the great unwashed golfers who are just addicted to the game.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!