IGNORED

Filling the void of a 3 iron...

Zack
Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just ordered my x-20's and obviously they start with a 4 iron. My last clubs started with a 4 iron as well. I really would like a 3 iron or something to replace the 3 iron. Should I get something like a 7 wood or a hybrid style club. I am thinking something along with the taylormade rescue. I have a 3 and 5 wood right now. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

-Zack

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

I would highly recommend a hybrid - probably a 4H (around 23* loft) since that is what usually replaces a 3i distancewise, although in some brands/models you might find a 3H fills the gap. Because there are so few standards in golf equipment this can be a guessing game at times. I have always found a 4H is close to the same distance as a well struck 3i, but with a higher trajectory and MUCH more forgiving. A 7W might also be a similar gap filler but might be longer (like 3H). Because hybrids have shorter shaft they are usually a little easier to hit than woods, though.

The best thing you can do is just try several models out and see which you like the feel of best. If possible, either try them on a real range or on a launch monitor so you can get an idea of distance and ball flight and how they fit what you are looking for. The TM Rescues are nice and are very popular so they are worth a look, although I have found others I prefer including the Mizunos I own and the Adams Idea Pro models.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

after doing some research on the clubs you bought, it says your 4 iron should be a 24*. So, you should be looking at something around a 21* to stay consistent with your set. Good luck in your search!

Thanks guys, my next question was going to be about what size number of hybrid equalled the loft size of a 3 iron. But you guys already answered that. Thanks for the info!!

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

I would also recommend a 21* hybrid to fill the 3 iron spot. I hit the Taylormade Rescue and found that it was forgiving and long. Also felt great.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I have no 3 iron and the 3 Hybrid Burner Rescue. I love the club but have a huge distance gap between my 4 iron and hybrid. Also if you have a 5 wood the 3 hybrid would be very close to the same loft. The 4 hybrid in the Rescue would fit your set perfectly I would think.
Driver: Burner 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha 15*
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19*
Irons: r7 4-PW
Wedges: CG 12 52* CG 12 56*Putter: White Hot Tour #1

Id go with a 5-wood or a 3-hybrid.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I really like the 2008 Burner ( http://www.golfsmith.com/products/TM...Graphite_Shaft )

As you can see, right now I play the Nickent 3DX RCs, but only paid about $30 for each of them brand new, so I will have no hesitation to replace them should I get the inkling.

I've heard good things already from members on this forum and others about the new G15 hybrids.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

It's all about experimenting....not an easy thing to do sometimes, though.

I was fortunate enough to demo a playing partners hybrids first.

My irons are +1.5" and I stop at 5 iron. I ordered my hybrids in +1.0". They set up perfectly with the irons. Length is gapped very well throughout the set.

My largest gap is between my 3hybrid and 3wood. I don't mind this too much because I can grip down slightly on the 3wood and close the gap fairly well. In your case, you have a 5wood to fill the gap.

The TM Rescues have been a huge hit at my home course.

I've been very pleased with the Sumos in my sig line. I've recently seen them on tgw.com for about half price.

There seems to be so much variance amoung manfs......don't know if you'd be better served with 3hybrid or 4hybrid. I play both and cover different distances and trajectories with each....I'd hate to give up either.

Good luck
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I think I am going to go with the TaylorMade #4. I really like the feel of it and also like the feel of my TaylorMade driver. Thanks for your input Dub.

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Zack,

I also play X20s. Our 4-iron loft is 24 degrees, and the 3-iron would be 21 degrees.

I talked to lots of players about 3-iron replacements, and the best advice is to experiment. Some people really like hybrids, some people say fy-brids will save the world, whereas others do better with fairway woods. (Sorry, I tried a hybrid for about two months, and never hit it very well.)

Find the distance gap between your 5-wood and 4-iron, and find a club which will split the difference. Experiment with different tools, and see which one works best.

(I get teased for carrying a 3-iron, but it makes a good driving club on windy days.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've enjoyed hitting the burner rescue 4H (22*) in the week or so I've had it. I can't speak for bridging yardage gaps, but it flies straight and it's really easy to control launch angle. I was enjoying hitting into the wind the other day and I can't really say that about any of my irons.

Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

Mizuno Hi fli 21* does the job for me. Not the easiest club in the world to get used to but when mastered .........

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!