IGNORED

Are used wedges a bad idea?

Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i have an absolutely ancient henry cotton 10 iron(pw), and it gives me no spin even with good balls. the grooves are really the thing that matter.. go for brand new set of wedges if u can afford them

07 Burner regular flex. (my dads-doing wonders with it) :D
supersteel burner steel shaft strong 3 wood
R7 draw 5 wood
Rapture 4-pw uw. Red dot. <3
56 deg sw60 deg Cg14 white steel two ball putter penta golf shoes. =D

I think I'm going to have to disagree with an awful lot here .

I could be wrong but....

Clean, sharp grooves will make no difference to >90% of people - they simply don't hit the ball well enough. If you take a wedge with no grooves at all but a rough face (i.e. via sandblasting etc) it'll spin pretty much fine off short, dry grass. The grooves make most difference out of rough/wet grass by channelling water/crud away from the contact area so larger volume grooves are better from the rough etc.

Most people would be much better advised to keep clubface and grooves free of crud rather than worrying about buying new wedges every season....great marketing .

I have an old (circa. '82) forged Ram Watson Tour Grind SW that's beat to Hell and back; it still stops pretty much dead provided the face/grooves are clean.

In answer to the OP, in general I can't see much of a problem with them .

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For all the people that absolutely HAVE to have brand-new wedges...do you throw them out after every round? If not you are (ostensibly happily) playing with used wedges.

What's wrong with carefully examining a used wedge, finding it's near new in condition, and paying less than half price for it? If you simply don't like "other people's castoffs" that's totally legit as a shopping preference. If you're going to claim a performance gap between clubs you bought new and used a few times and clubs that have been used by someone else a few times and look mint....I don't see it.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

well i wish i could of found some used vokey spin milled wedges that were used in great condition, but since im a lefty that just wasnt in the cards for me. i went around to all the stores in my area and as usual the lefty section of wedges was a little light!!! :)

in the end i bought the 2009 vokey 52, 56, 60 wedges all new from golf discount. at least i got free shipping and no sales tax!!!!! now im just waiting for them to arrive. should be here this week.

In my Bag:
Burner 460 Driver 10.5deg stiff
Burner #3 Fairway Wood 15 deg stiff
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips
Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11, 60.07 Wedges White Hot XG 2-Ball SRT Putter

Wedges are the only club I will not buy used.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

For all the people that absolutely HAVE to have brand-new wedges...do you throw them out after every round? If not you are (ostensibly happily) playing with used wedges.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with an awful lot here

Pretty much everything I was saying. At the end of the day buy whatever you want but don't rule out buying used, unless you have money burning a hole in your pockets like the "plus 10% poster"

In my all black Four 5:
909 D2 9.5 Harrison Saga 60 X
909 F2 13.5 Harrison Saga 70 X
909 H 19 Stock VooDoo S
AP2 710 3-PW Project X 6.5 Spin Milled C-C 54 & 58 California Del Mar Penta SYNR-G 1600 TEHomecourse(s): Crandon GC 76.2/145/7301

I saw a set of G,S,L wedes on rockbottom fro 39 bucks made by Nitro...

You think those are OK? THats a damn good price.

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I saw a set of G,S,L wedes on rockbottom fro 39 bucks made by Nitro...

Not familiar at all with that brand. If all else fails, why don't you go ahead and build a set of wedges? I've dabbled in club making and it is a lot of fun.

In my all black Four 5:
909 D2 9.5 Harrison Saga 60 X
909 F2 13.5 Harrison Saga 70 X
909 H 19 Stock VooDoo S
AP2 710 3-PW Project X 6.5 Spin Milled C-C 54 & 58 California Del Mar Penta SYNR-G 1600 TEHomecourse(s): Crandon GC 76.2/145/7301

I'm lucky that I live real close to a PGA Tour Superstore and a Golfsmith. There's a constantly changing supply of used clubs to browse thru. I've bought several wedges used and have been happy with all of them. You just have to give it a good look and use common sense. If it's beat all to hell, take a pass. I just picked up a used Ping Tour W 58 degree today for $60 that looks like it's never been hit.

I've tended to find that people on here don't seem to consider the tour-w a proper wedge. Why? It's a cast stainless construction. This means that it tends to wear less quickly than the often recommended wedges on here.

I love the tour-w's. They feel well balanced, have more feedback than you might imagine, and are perfectly capable of spinning the ball in a controlled fashion. The only negative that I would offer personally is that the hard stainless groove edges tend to shred the ball cover as much as the most aggressive wedges. I bought one new and five others second hand. The second hand ones vary from pristine to clearly marked faces. They all seem to perform to the exact same level. I've had them since the start of the summer, with no obvious change in characteristics. I fully expect they will last me years, as in multiples of.

In the bag:

Driver: 975D 10.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff (Alternate 8.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft)
Fairway Woods: 975F (2 From) 14.5°, 18.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff, 20.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft
3Iron-PW: S58 Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsGap Wedge: Tour-W 54/10 Nickel...

I am looking forward to more spinny balls comeing to the forefront.

I kind of doubt balls are going to get more spinny... but who knows.

You're better off just getting something like a Nike SV Tour wedge, which I used all this past year, and it was awesome, for like 75 bucks or something brand new then getting something for about 40 and having it be worn.

sometimes you can find pretty amazing details on last years equipment.

They have some really good tools that will help with the resharpening of the grooves for your wedges... Unless you play competative I would not worry about the new rules for grooves...

http://www.groovesharpener.com/ I have one and it cleans them up real nice.

very well said

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!