IGNORED

GPS for me!

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ya I think if I get one I'll get a laser. Less to rely on "downloading courses" less to rely on satellites if the weather is bad or something.

I have heard good things about lasers, and they are still expensive but you don't have to pay additional subscription fees. Obviously if you don't have a view of the flag then things get goofy, but I would think as long as you have a view of the 200/150/100 yard fairway markers then you can get a pretty good idea of distance to the green by just zapping those markers rather than the flag.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I think if I get one I'll get a laser. Less to rely on "downloading courses" less to rely on satellites if the weather is bad or something.

Yeah, most of the time, you can usually just walk out 20-30 yards and get your reading from somewhere. Another good use is at the range. I find that the range I go to has yardages marked that are off quite a bit depending on where you are on the range. If I had the laser, I could shoot those and know exactly what I am shooting at. I will probably end up with a laser if I can get rid of my Skycaddie.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow I didn't even think of that, but you are right ... better to have a laser at the range for getting correct distances. Although the range balls that I've used are usually crappy enough that they don't fly true. I could just hit some of the junk I find on the course at the range to get a better idea of my real distances.

I'm really thinking of asking for a laser rangefinder for xmas this year!

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

Wow I didn't even think of that, but you are right ... better to have a laser at the range for getting correct distances. Although the range balls that I've used are usually crappy enough that they don't fly true. I could just hit some of the junk I find on the course at the range to get a better idea of my real distances.

That is true. Many of the balls are junk and won't fly for anything. The range I go to actually bought a lot of Nike range balls and they seem to be much better.

Bryan A

I picked up the OnPar GPS just a couple weeks ago but have only had the chance to play one full round with it. I really like the ability to track shots so it gives you your average and max distance with different clubs. If you use the scorecard feature it keeps track of all your scoring statistics - fairways hit (and missed right or left), number of putts and avg. putts per hole, % of GIR's, % of birdie/par/bogey/dbogey/etc. I love all that about it.

The map side of it isn't too different than what else is out there. One nice thing is there are no subscriptions or map fees. Download all you want. I hate the idea of continuing to pay if the device is already expensive (like the OnPar and uPro). If the device was $200 and they charged $50 a year I'd be okay with that. Not with a $400 device (I was actually able to get my OnPar for $340 shipped FedEx 2-day on eBay perfectly new from a reputable seller instead of $400 + 8% sales tax at my local store - about a $90 savings).

Another feature I learned after I purchased OnPar was the "mark" feature. Not sure if the uPro has this but its probably got something like it. When you turn the feature on it allows you to "mark" the spot your at on that hole. So whenever your on that whole it will show your distance to that spot when the feature is on. You can add as many as you want and remove them whenever. So when I'm on a whole with water that I'm hitting to or over or a hazard somewhere I just mark the spot that I want to know that yardage and it shows it continuously on that hole. OnPar courses also show the driving range so the other evening I went out to the range and was walked to each flag (the flags don't move but the tee area is grass and is huge - so it moves and rotates around a lot) and set a mark at each flag. So when I'm anywhere on the range I get accurate distances to each flag. A nice bonus especially as they don't indicate the distance AT ALL - which makes no sense because it is a very nice practice area - one the best in the area. They just don't indicate any distances. Not a problem for me anymore.

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

I picked up the OnPar GPS just a couple weeks ago but have only had the chance to play one full round with it. I really like the ability to track shots so it gives you your average and max distance with different clubs. If you use the scorecard feature it keeps track of all your scoring statistics - fairways hit (and missed right or left), number of putts and avg. putts per hole, % of GIR's, % of birdie/par/bogey/dbogey/etc. I love all that about it.

That sounds like a really good unit! Man they have come a long ways since the SkyCaddie was introduced!

Bryan A

That sounds like a really good unit! Man they have come a long ways since the SkyCaddie was introduced!

It really is nice. I forgot to add that many people had trouble early on (beginning of 2009) as they company was new and didn't have tons of courses available. The course list seems pretty long to me know but you can easily check on their website without having to buy (onpargps.com). I live in the north Dallas area and there are just loads of courses available. I have found a few in the very outlying (in the sticks) areas that aren't available yet - but I've never even played them. I'm also heading out this weekend to Naples, Florida for the long weekend to stay with my grandparents. Going golfing with Grandpa twice and he sent me a three different courses he was considering and they were all available plus loads more (but Naples has roughly 1 billion golf courses).

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Another feature I learned after I purchased OnPar was the "mark" feature. Not sure if the uPro has this but its probably got something like it...

It does, and it's called "Mark" strangely enough. I've found this is extremely useful for determining your carry+roll. When you press the mark button, the yardage updates in real-time, so conceivably, you could walk to where your ball landed if you could find it, for your carry yardage and walk to your ball for your total yardage. The first step in using any device like this is to first use it to find your average yardages. For example, today I played a round at lunch and recorded the following to add to my stats book:

8-iron cold no warm up: 140 (no roll) 5-wood extremely uphill: 201 carry+roll Topped 7-iron: 90 3-wood hook against the wind: 225 carry+roll How far I can throw a club when I top 2 shots in a row: 35 yards How far an amped up drive with an old Pinnacle Gold Lady into the wind goes when I'm trying to get it out of my system: 286 It gives you something quantitative to go on. I think confidence is one of the biggest keys. Knowing exact yardages opens up an entire world of course management possibilities.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

It gives you something quantitative to go on. I think confidence is one of the biggest keys. Knowing exact yardages opens up an entire world of course management possibilities.

I agree. Thats one thing I'm really looking forward to - getting what I think I hit my clubs adjusted to reality. It's one of the big reasons I didn't go with a SkyCaddie. The SG5 has an easy way to measure shots but doesn't store them and calculate averages, etc. On top of that it only holds 20 courses. What's up with that?

In the bag:

I agree. Thats one thing I'm really looking forward to - getting what I think I hit my clubs adjusted to reality. It's one of the big reasons I didn't go with a SkyCaddie. The SG5 has an easy way to measure shots but doesn't store them and calculate averages, etc. On top of that it only holds 20 courses. What's up with that?

I'm kind of glad the uPro doesn't do yardage averages by club. Most GPS's don't take into account elevation, so it seems weird to me that they would attempt to provide meaningful averages. In the same round I hit a 6-iron 130 yards and an 8-iron 145. The 6-iron was about 70 feet uphill and into a stiff breeze. The 8-iron was closer to my normal flat carry with a crosswind. I'd rather do those calculations by hand. If they are going to provide a club recommendation like many claim to do, they should also account for elevation and wind in some way. But few do. So I'd imagine the recommendation could be off quite a bit and just frustrate you with the device.

I already had a pretty good idea of what I hit my clubs (carry+roll), though I did "pad" the estimates with about 5 yards of ego The main thing it really opened my eyes to is how much a factor wind and elevation play. I really had no idea and thought I just mishit the ball many times in the past when it was really just into a headwind.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I'm kind of glad the uPro doesn't do yardage averages by club. Most GPS's don't take into account elevation, so it seems weird to me that they would attempt to provide meaningful averages. In the same round I hit a 6-iron 130 yards and an 8-iron 145. The 6-iron was about 70 feet uphill and into a stiff breeze. The 8-iron was closer to my normal flat carry with a crosswind. I'd rather do those calculations by hand. If they are going to provide a club recommendation like many claim to do, they should also account for elevation and wind in some way. But few do. So I'd imagine the recommendation could be off quite a bit and just frustrate you with the device.

No GPS is ever going to be able to account for all factors - elevation change is just one small factor, then there is wind, temperature, humidity, lie (tight fairway, lush fairway, light rough, rough, heavy rough, mud ball) side/up/down hill lie, etc.

Just because it calculates your average doesn't mean you can't think! Ever shot has conditions that take or give distance. Getting the recommendation is just a starting point. Not to mention its super easy to turn off at any time or tell it not to include a shot.

In the bag:

I would actually like that it does that. I would want to know my average distances without all of those factors calculated. Then I could take that average number and adjust as need be depending on the course conditions whatever day I am playing. You will always have to adjust for something, but it will be a better adjustment if you have a more accurate number to begin with.

Bryan A

Uh, I have a Upro and I love what it does for me. I like knowing the yardage quickly, so I can start figuring out club selection without holding up play.

Question: Has anybody noticed a battery issue? I played my first 18 hole outing, and it went dead at the tee to 16. I've only been out a few times, will the battery get stronger after a few cycles?

Thanks

Uh, I have a Upro and I love what it does for me. I like knowing the yardage quickly, so I can start figuring out club selection without holding up play.

I've heard others having this issue, but haven't had it personally. I turned the backlighting down to 30% or so and set the power saver preference. You have to push the M button to wake it up, but it hasn't lost any satellites or required any time other than that. I'd mess around with the power and lighting settings. Also, when it is fully booted, point it at the sun so that the light sensor can get a good reading of the amount of light. This may have some effect and is recommended in the manual.

[ Equipment ]

This may have some effect and is recommended in the manual.

In the what?

In the bag:

Thanks for the info.
Went out and played league last night and allowed Upro to go into sleep mode and it worked great.
Took maybe 2-3 seconds to lock on to distance, after touching button - no problem.
Battery was still 3/4 +, after 9 holes and many demos to other golfers.

P.S. Shot my first ever 40! Won low net with a 29.

For all of you that use these devices: do you use them on the range and simulate playing conditions? Calculate carry vs total distance? It's funny the people that say they hit their "whatever club" to a distance of "whatever" but when they get on the course they can't figure out why they can't hit over a certain hazzard. I'm not slamming anyone here. Just pointing out that there is no gadget in the world that is going to make you a better player if you don't put in the time practicing under course conditions. Hitting your 6 iron over and over again and determining your number to be whatever is fine, but, try and simulate couse conditions: hit off of grass rather than mats, use a tee, don't use a tee, go to the edge of the range and hit out of the rough, etc.

Use the tools and gadgets to your advantage.

I use both a rqngefinder and a gps, I also use Golfshot: GPS and GolfLogix on my iPhone. I can comment or reveiw these if anyone is interested.

Driver: 907D2 10.5°
3Wood: 906F 15°
Hybrid: 585H 21°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52°, SM56°, SM60°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!