IGNORED

GPS for me!

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like GPS, but the rangefinder is awesome. It does just as much, and it more accurate. If you want to know how far it is to the bunker, then shoot the bunker.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got both a skycaddie SG4 and a luepold GX1. I've had the sky caddie for about 3 years. I like it alot, but it has some limitations and problems. I tend to loose my signal a fair amount, I end up doing a GPS reset, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. It can be very frustrating. Also, mine is the rechargable one. The charge might last 2 rounds, if you forget to plug it in, you are kind of screwed. I also travel, get a chance to play an unexpected course, and I have nothing. For those reasons I got the GX1, just got it and played one round, not as convenient, but accurate. At 200 yards it takes a steady hand, but once you get used to it, not bad. If I could only have one, the GX wins.

Ya it seems like the Laser Rangefinders are a little bit more user friendly than a GPS - (if you forget to charge it, if you lose a signal, if you forget to download the course, if you can't FIND the course to download).

But I do like the "mark" feature on the GPS units that you can keep stats on the clubs you hit to get an average or max distance you can hit for the club.

Right now I just keep a piece of paper that I write down my estimated yardages on & update that as I'm playing. I understand that several factors account for how far I'll hit a club ... but I need some kind of idea where a full shot with perfect conditions will go so I can adjust as needed.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I got a GPS program for my iphone that totally rocks for $9.99. "AirVue". Besides the fact that its only 10 bucks, the graphics are way better than any dedicated GPS unit and it has better features too. No subscription cost either. You can also keep your score on it.

The best feature on it is that you can point your finger to any spot on the course and move it around and it will show you how many yards from your current location to where your finger is pointing, along with how far it will be from that spot to the hole.

It can measure drive distances too.

Some downsides, in order to save iphone battery I click it into sleep mode when putting the phone back in my pocket. Every time I pull it out I have to wait 10-15 seconds for the GPS to turn back on and reacquire satelites. If you plan ahead and prepare the phone as you approach your ball that is no problem, but I often don't realize I'm gonna need to use the GPS until I'm already standing there. So that is a downfall for sure, but I can't think of a work around that doesn't involve draining the battery. On the other hand, using it the way I do, has not drained the båttery at all.

Another downside is that the course data has to be downloaded from the internet directly to the phone. If you do that at the course, it will take a while, and if you don't have 3G coverage there it will take a LONG while. The good news is that it does seem to cache the data for next time you go there.

Anyway, it has a lot of other features, check it out. I'm quite impressed and it was only 10 bucks. The authors are still open to feature suggestions and have new updates coming out soon with more stat tracking, etc.

If I didn't get this, I probably woulda got a laser before spending hundreds on a dedicated GPS with subscription model. That's just me. I almost NEVER need to know how many yards to bunkers. I need to know how many yards to the 150, but more often I need to know how many yards to 125 and 100. or to some spot that is well away from bunkers. Also, if I can't see the green from where I am because of trees or whatever, then the laser is no good either. But if I were gonna spend hundreds on something I'd probably get the laser and I'd probably use it a lot less then I do the iphone. The iphone fits in my pocket easily, works great from any spot on the course and the software only cost $10.

Titliest AP2 712 irons 9-5, Rescue R9 (3,4, sometimes 5), R9 460 driver, R9 3W

Vokey Wedges 48,52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1

Taylor Made Penta balls

Callaway rangefinder

Has anybody ever tested the accuracy of the cell phone/iphone GPS apps? I think you'd find they are fine for driving around in your car but if you're looking to find out if your approach shot is 92 yards or 107 yards it's far less than ideal. The cell tower gps deal just isn't as precise. One round I was out with my OnPar a guy that played with us had his ipone app gps (not sure which) and we compared a couple of times. The distances were usually about 5 or so yards different. The one time I checked my OnPar was using 16 satellites at that moment. I can't imagine needing much more precision without a large bomb tied to the GPS. I don't have any real technical evidence, but I'd trust the satellite gps over the cell gps every time.

It'd be interesting to test some different normal GPS units, cell phone apps, and laser range finders all at the same time.

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

Has anybody ever tested the accuracy of the cell phone/iphone GPS apps?

See post #43.

Driver: 907D2 10.5°
3Wood: 906F 15°
Hybrid: 585H 21°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52°, SM56°, SM60°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

...but I'd trust the satellite gps over the cell gps every time.

I tend to agree with you. I still have my SG5 on and look at both it and my iPhone. When there is a discrepancy, I trust the GPS.

I think we are becoming overwhelmed with all this technology. GPS, Laser and now Phones. I admit I am a gadget guy and I want to have all the cool new devices, but, I also understand that these devices are not going to make me a better golfer. That is still left up to me. It is still my decision whether I am going to dedicate the time to improving. These devices are just tools. Personally I am not at the point where I need to worry about my phone saying 120 yards and my GPS saying 123. It has happened on a few occasions where I have labored over the distance of my approach shot only to hit it fat or thin. My point is, use the devices for what they are, tools. Find one you like and use it. Generally speaking, I use my GPS on shots of 130-150 yards out, and my laser for shots 130-150 yards in.

Driver: 907D2 10.5°
3Wood: 906F 15°
Hybrid: 585H 21°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52°, SM56°, SM60°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

iphones don't use cell towers to triangulate, they use the same satellite chips that are used in real GPS units like in your car and in your golf GPS handheld....and to my knowledge there is nothing about golf GPS units that are any more accurate than anything else.

They are accurate down to a few yards and for most of us that is perfectly good enough.

Car GPS units probably do not DISPLAY as much accuracy because we don't need it and its actually more confusing to have it changing all over the place in a car.

Titliest AP2 712 irons 9-5, Rescue R9 (3,4, sometimes 5), R9 460 driver, R9 3W

Vokey Wedges 48,52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1

Taylor Made Penta balls

Callaway rangefinder

iphones don't use cell towers to triangulate, they use the same satellite chips that are used in real GPS units like in your car and in your golf GPS handheld

That's news to me! Cool.

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

Very interesting. Well, I'm playing at shadow lakes in brentwood this weekend, and I guess i'll be trying GolfLogix for the iphone. i hope the battery life holds up here.

i've played with a few people that had gps' and lasers, but i'll be testing this iphone one on my own. we'll see how efficient and effective it is.

On a side note, i really hate lasers. i dont konw anyone who has a steady enough hand to get distance from 150-200 out. how do you even use these things

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!