IGNORED

Driver Swing

Note: This thread is 6471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just changed to Ping G5 driver from a Cheap Dunlop driver.
Never had problems with the old driver, but with the ping the ball just grounded. I cannot hit the ball airbone.

Everything about driver swing I already know... ball inside the left toe. tee high... ascending blow on the downswing... etc.

What's going on here?

Thks....waiting on the 19th tee....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

i also use a 10.5 degree driver and i used to have the same problem. for me, it wasnt a swing problem, i just teed it up too low. i dont know how high you're tee is but you could try setting up so that the center of the ball is at the apex of the driver face when it is resting on the ground.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

.... Could be alot of things ...

It could be your depth perception of the new club and it's causing your swing plane to change ... it might be the length is longer than you're currently used to, some of the Pings came in at 46 inches depending on the shaft maker ... But I have a funny feeling it's because your playing the ball too low, keep in mind they sit tall .. these new 400cc+ drivers need to be played with the ball at least a quarter of an inch above the face ..
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

Yes... I finaly figure it out... I have to move the ball way left, exactly on my left foot. Not on the left toe...

I cannot adjust my tee since I practive at a driving range and using the longest rubber tee, the ball rests slighlty above the top of the face. I'm reading the book "The Search for the perfect Golf club" - Tom Wishon. It's just horrible how the manufactures set the length of the shaft to 45 inch. For my height (5"8), I should be using 43.5 inch of shaft length ... maybe that's a factor too...
.... Could be alot of things ...

Whats in my Golf Bag:

... Be careful with shaft lengths ...

Even though you can go online, or get the measurement at the local golf store, that doesn't make it Gospel anymore .. actually far from it.

With all the new technology of shafts, like mid kick, low kick, high torque low torque, light weight shafts as low as 40 grams and the new grip styles, etc .. it's really up to "your" feel and touch of the club - not a measurement .. Tiger plays a 44.5 and he's 6" 1(?)

I have friends that I play with and some of the real tall guys play with anything from a 43.75 to a 45.5, it obviously works for them ... on the other side of that coin, I'm 5" 9 and I play much more effective and more accurately with a 44.5, that seems to be that perfect length for me .. that said, it took me 2/3 months to adjust it to "my" particular comfort and swing speed at a quarter inch at a time (some prefer cutting a half inch, as do my scratch golfer friends) so take your time and get "your" feel ...

As far as tee's at the course ... try the Pro length tee's (3 1/4) they are color marked and it will get you adjusted a little quicker, and then go from there.

Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

• Administrator
I'm reading the book "The Search for the perfect Golf club" - Tom Wishon. It's just horrible how the manufactures set the length of the shaft to 45 inch. For my height (5"8), I should be using 43.5 inch of shaft length ... maybe that's a factor too...

Standard is standard - that's just what comes from the factory. If you want a club fitted to yourself and your swing, get fitted.

I found the Wishon book to be a perfect waste of $19.99.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Iacas, did you not feel the information was valid or was there some other reason you felt it was a waste? I noticed this guy has his own component company, is his stuff any good?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
Iacas, did you not feel the information was valid or was there some other reason you felt it was a waste? I noticed this guy has his own component company, is his stuff any good?

If you'll allow me a brief moment to beg, please quote appropriate sections so I know what you're talking about. In this case, it was obviously pretty easy. But when I got the email, I had no idea what you meant (the thread is "Driver Swing" after all).

Anyway, on to the actual response... The information was probably largely valid, though of far greater importance to a clubfitter than to me, and what parts applied to me, I mostly knew already. A lot of the information was pretty "duh" and an unusually large portion of the book was semi-bragging about how Tom had discovered this or been the first to do that or how he'd worked with this Tour player to hide the offset in a set of irons (Payne Stewart on that one, I believe). It got old after awhile. The one thing I learned from the book is that irons that are too upright go left not because the heel digs into the ground, but simply because the face of a too-upright iron swung on a flatter plane points to the left (and vice versa). Learning one thing wasn't worth $19.99.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sounds like you are a club fitter? Feel more you have a competition going on with Mr. Wishon (personally)?

Yes I already got fitted by Ping technician... he cut my shaft by 1/2 inch since the standard length of Ping G5 is 45 1/2 inch.... and because my arm to floor is rather low... Not because of that book (I paid $12.00 anyway). And since the book mention about this also, I make a reference to that book. Personally I like the first 5 chapters... the last few chapters kinda redundant.
If you'll allow me a brief moment to beg, please quote appropriate sections so I know what you're talking about. In this case, it was obviously pretty easy. But when I got the email, I had no idea what you meant (the thread is "Driver Swing" after all).

Whats in my Golf Bag:

• Administrator
Sounds like you are a club fitter? Feel more you have a competition going on with Mr. Wishon (personally)?

Nope.

Note: This thread is 6471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!