IGNORED

Turnberry

Note: This thread is 5471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm returning home to UK for a vacation next week and as part of my plans I have booked in for a couple of nights at the Turnberry Resort

I'll be taking in one round on the Ailsa Course (where the Open was played) and another round on the Kintyre Course (the other championship course).

Anybody played there before, any experiences or advice to share?

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Haven't played there but I would recommend bringing your "A" game. In all seriousness though, have fun. Looks like a great course.

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5* Whiteboard Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19*
Irons: 4-pw Mp-32 S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 60*
Putter: Newport 2 34" 340gBall: Pro-V1 or NXT-tourShoes: Adidas Tour 360 LTD

Have played it and enjoyed it immensly, especially the holes along the Firth, but otherwise just a well groomed links style of course. I prefer Prestwick about 15 miles north, a more natural, rugged, quirky course where the Open was born. It's worth a trip if just for the contrast. Have great fun! Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply. I'm sure you will love Turnberry, especially Ailsa. I played the Ailsa and Kintyre courses in 2007. Attached is a link to my photos. While there you should also play Western Gales, about 40 minutes North of Turnberry. It is not as famous or expensive as Turnberry, but it is an amazing course.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/558380032gZHwdf

Well, what an awsome couple of days I had at Turnberry.

The missus and I stayed in the Hotel for 2 nights on a package deal - I got one round on the Ailsa Course and one round on the Kintyre and she got some spa treatments.

Both courses are great tracks, tough but fair, but on the Ailsa course, you feel that bit more 'special'. I was dreading going all the way there and playing in hurricane-force conditions, but the weather was very kind on both days, with nothing more than a stiff sea breeze.

This was my first experience of real links golf and it was a real eye opener. The wind and the firmness of the greens and fairways mean that sometimes you just don't get the result that your shot deserved.

Oh well, no more open championship venues for the moment...back to 'normal' golf courses again!

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 5471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!