IGNORED

Any disadvange if you choke down on your club?

Note: This thread is 6467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage or bad points about choking down 1/2 an inch on a regular iron shot?

I know that at my height, I need to have my irons cut 1/2 an inch. However, I do not wish to do so. I was wondering if there is a bad side to playing by choking down 1/2 an inch.

Thanks in advance for your advice/advices.

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage or bad points about choking down 1/2 an inch on a regular iron shot?

as far as i know the only disadvantage is possibly losing some distance. of course, you could always just adjust to longer clubs. ive been using mens clubs since i was only about 5'4" and now i'm still only 5'8". if you're only going to choke down 1/2" it wouldnt be too much harder to just use the full length of the club. assuming your male, you may consider buying a set of womens clubs?

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

So if you lose distance by choking down, don't you lose the same amount of distance if you cut the club by 1/2 an inch?

i'm basing my statement off of the fact that the longer the club is the more distance you'll get out of it. so i guess choking down and getting it cut would be the same.

wait for other opinions. there are much more knowlegable people on this forum. :]

200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW

trust me choking down will decrease a very little amount of distance if none at all... not a big deal.. most people choke downa little anyway.. gripping it at the way end will just make u lose control of the club.

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

• Administrator
trust me choking down will decrease a very little amount of distance if none at all... not a big deal.. most people choke downa little anyway.. gripping it at the way end will just make u lose control of the club.

Agreed. Any loss of distance will be made up for by better contact. It should be a net 0 result, or very close to it.

You're not supposed to grip the very end of the club, anyway, so just grip down. The grip will be a TEENY bit thinner the further you go down is about all the difference you may notice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i dont know what the rest of you consider choking down but generally when i grip the club my left hand is maybe 1/8" lower than the butt of the club and to me thats normal.

200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW

• Administrator
i dont know what the rest of you consider choking down but generally when i grip the club my left hand is maybe 1/8" lower than the butt of the club and to me thats normal.

1/8" isn't really gripping down, no. That's about where you grip a club. Maybe even a little more.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I choke down on most of my clubs depending on the shot I need to hit, the distance I want to hit it, etc. I find it easier to control the distance on my wedges if I choke down. I don't believe I can use the amount I grip down as a way to adjust the distance I hit it, but I can control the size of the swing much easier.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I never feel the end of the club in my hand...and I don't want to. I don't choke up very often, but my normal grip doesn't touch the end. I think choking up is just fine, and like many have said here, shouldn't make too much of a difference when it comes to distance.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

So if you lose distance by choking down, don't you lose the same amount of distance if you cut the club by 1/2 an inch?

You lose approx 5 yards when you cut 1/2 inch.

Introducing The Weapons:

Driver- | R5 TP, Aldila VS Proto Shaft
3Wood- | R7 3.15
2Hybrid- | TP Rescue Dual, Fujikura Banzai Shaft3U- | 3U RAC TP 19, Grafaloy Prologic shaft Irons- | R7 CGB MAXWedges- | TP 58,56,52Putter- | Rossa Imola TP 34Ball- | TP Red on Normal Cond, TP Black When...

• Administrator
You lose approx 5 yards when you cut 1/2 inch.

I don't quite buy that. That's 10 yards an inch. Off a driver, they say 1 MPH in swing speed is about 2.5 yards of carry (IIRC), so off a mid-iron (say, a 6-iron) that's probably closer to half: 1 MPH = 1.25 yards of carry. A half inch = 4 MPH slower clubhead speed? That's the part I don't quite buy.

100 MPH driver is about, what, an 80 MPH 5-iron? That's 20 MPH over (45" - 38") 7 inches... about 3 MPH per inch. So by this math (which I admit is far from scientific), it seems to me that each inch = about 3 MPH, and if 1 MPH is 1.25 yards... that's about 3-4 yards shorter per inch, not 10. But like I said, far from scientific. I'd believe 5 yards for an inch, no problem.

Note: This thread is 6467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!