IGNORED

Van Courtlandt Park in NYC

cougar978
Note: This thread is 5110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am flying into La Guardia a week from tomorrow and am thinking about playing Van Courtlandt Park. The guy there said it shouldn't be too difficult to get off on Thursday, so hopefully that will hold true a week from today.

I have a couple questions for anyone from NYC that's been there:

1) How far away is the course from the subway station (1)? Is it really within walking distance carrying a bag?

2) Will the MTA let you take your bag on the subway? My wife wants to go shopping in NYC, so I think I can get her to drop me off at a 1-line station and ride the train to/from the course while she racks up some frequent flyer mileage on my credit card.

3) Is the course something special outside of being the country's first public course, or is it a dog track?

Its a dog track. As are most of the courses operated by American golf. I played there every now and then when i lived in Brooklyn. I dont know the commute from the subway but toting your clubs should be a problem. Ive seen people shove furniture on the subway.

The course has its challenges, some of the holes are pretty tight. But at your skill level its not going to pose that much of a problem. You wont have to work the ball much, as many of the approaches are pretty open and they never tuck pins there. The last 4 holes are the best on the course, but they are cut off by a highway and it can be a long walk, so a cart might be in order. Pace of play is horrid, so get ready for a 5 hour round, at the minimum. My honest opinon is that i wouldnt recommend playing there, its not worth it.

I dont know the bronx that well, but your best bet for some qaulity golf is probably long island. Dyker beach in brooklyn is a decent little course but it also often clogged by slow play.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

People move from one apartment to another using the subway. It never stops amazing me the things people bring on the subway.

Use this program to map out your subway ride and walk to Van Cortlandt Park.

http://www.hopstop.com/

Van Cortlandt is much better than it used to be and you'll be able to say you played a round of golf in a city park.

G15 4 Wood
 G15 3(20) and 4(23) hybrids
 JPX 800 Irons 5-PW

Tw9 Wedges 48, 54, 60

Island Antigua Putter  Q-Star

NXO Cart Bag    Speed Cart V1

Take the lirr to bethpage.. Thats what you should do

Considering new Woods what you think ?

Driver launcher 10.5
Irons Cg gold 5-10
Hybrids R7 cgb max Wedges CG12Putter Newport 2 mid slantBalls Nxt extremeConsidering new Woods what you think ?

To the best of my knowledge, AGC no longer owns Vannie, and hasn't for about two years. Three years ago, a 4 millions dollar drainage renovation was conducted, and the course has been pretty good for a local muny ever since. The course is short, save for two 600+ yard par fives and a 220 yard par 3. This summer I've played it about 8 times, and the greens were very good. Not a ton of bunkers, water in play on maybe three holes. It's the oldest public course in America, and the locker room scene in Wall Street was shot there. It's a ten to fifteen minute walk from the 241st Street station of the 1 train, but I do NOT recommend walking the course overall. The highways that bisect the course have cut up the 18 holes into four distinct sections, and the last four holes can be brutal if you're carrying your own bag.

E-mail me if you need any directions or advice, I've played all the Bronx / lower Westchester courses this year. Have a good trip!

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

• 7 months later...
Is it just me or are the greens at van cortland in a horrible state ? Anyone played Dyker lately? How are the greens there

Burner 10.5 *
Burner 15*
Rescue 19*
Voit V5 Hybrid 24*
MX-25 5-PW CG14 52*,56*,60* Ignite 002

Note: This thread is 5110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!