IGNORED

What degree wedges should I carry

mc0388
Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Essentially you are currently carrying four wedges but in an improper setup....what you currently have is a pw, sw (56) and two lob wedges (58 and 60).

Your best bet has already been sugested: Pick up a Gap Wedge (52) and ditch the 58.

Another thing to be aware of is the loft of your PW. The degree gaps from your PW through LW should be 4 to 5 degree gaps to provide consistent distance between clubs. So, if your PW is 48* you can then go 52, 56 and 60 for even 4* gaps.

Some iron lines are now going stronger. for example: I play 2009 Burner irons which have a 45* PW. So my wedge setup is 45 (pw), 50 (gw), 55 (sw) and 60 (lw) for even 5* gaps between all wedges.

On average, two degrees equals about five yards so 4* gaps should give you about 10 yards between wedges where 5* gaps will give you about 12 to 15 yards between each: THIS IS APPROXIMATE AND VARIES SLIGHTLY FROM PLAYER TO PLAYER AND CLUB LINE TO CLUB LINE.

Bottom line is to find out the loft of your current PW and configure your

Sorry....got cut off.....

Ive been actually shopping for wedges for the last few days. My PW is 47*, so I was going to keep my 58* and get a 50* and 54*

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Ive been actually shopping for wedges for the last few days. My PW is 47*, so I was going to keep my 58* and get a 50* and 54*

The 50* may be too close to the 47* being that they are only 3* apart....take a look at the 47, 52, 56, 60 setup. That would give you a nice consistent seperation of 5* 4* and 4* and will probably serve you better. This way you only have to buy one new club (the 52) instead of two (50 and 54).

It's really going to come down to personal preference but you can't go wrong with 4-5* gaps.....3 is just too close.

The 50* may be too close to the 47* being that they are only 3* apart....take a look at the 47, 52, 56, 60 setup. That would give you a nice consistent seperation of 5* 4* and 4* and will probably serve you better. This way you only have to buy one new club (the 52) instead of two (50 and 54).

I was getting rid of the Pings anyway. I couldn't generate enough spin and they are quite lite in weight.

I just bought a Cleveland 588 51* gunmetal. My plan is to buy another 588 (either a 55* or 56* bent to 55*), and Im keeping my CLeveland Classics 691 58* and bending it to 59*. That way my setup is 47, 51, 55, 59 with a 4* seperation

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

That will probably work just fine....don't be afraid to seek some input from folks at the local golf shops....eespecially if you have access to a teaching pro....they won't stear you wrong....be sure to do some research on bounce with wedges as well....you can readd up on what bounce is online.....it is important to know when purchasing wedges.....

That will probably work just fine....don't be afraid to seek some input from folks at the local golf shops....eespecially if you have access to a teaching pro....they won't stear you wrong....be sure to do some research on bounce with wedges as well....you can readd up on what bounce is online.....it is important to know when purchasing wedges.....

Im familiar with bounce, Ill probbably get a Cleveland 588 56* with the DSG , the sole grind version (I like very little bounce if I open the club up), plus there onsale at Edwin Watts for $70.

I also have a gap between my PW and 52 degree of about 30 yards.

don't spend the money but learn to hit half and 3/4 shots so that you can take yardage off your PW to fill in your distance gap.

This will of course take practice and maybe a couple of weeks, but the benefit will be an improvement of your overall game. you can be confident to try taking distance off any of your clubs to control the distance of your ball.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I currently carry a 48 (PW), 52 (Gap), 56 (SW), and 60 (LW). Say what you want about bagging 4 wedges, but I use all of them every time I play.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I currently carry a 48 (PW), 52 (Gap), 56 (SW), and 60 (LW). Say what you want about bagging 4 wedges, but I use all of them every time I play.

I agree, I use all my wedges...

Im gonna game a 47, 51, 55, and my 58 will be bent to 59

• 3 years later...

I use vokey wedges which i love the feel of in 48 06, 52 08, 56 08, 58 04. As you  can see i like little bounce as i tend to play on hard ground courses, i have a 56 10 for summer/softer sand. if i use wedges with more bounce for chipping and pitching i tend to skull it, i absolutely love the feel of the 58 04 although you do need to practice with it, i found a 60 degree was too much loft and the ball went nowhere. i like a 52 for chipping when i dont want the ball to roll as far as a pitching wedge upon landing.

I have a PW 47*, 52* Cleveland, and 58* cleveland... and a Adams tight lie GW...

i find using the 47-52-58 is plenty for me..  i could honestly not bag the 58* wedge since i rarely use it

It is what it is

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I prefer a light bag, I normale carry my sets PW (44), and only two specialized wedges (50 and 58) ...... and I don't bother about gaps, gap control is done by me, not by the clubs !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

The old standard was that the PW is 50 deg and the SW is 56 or 55. I think you can do without a wedge with more than 56 deg loft. Open the blade of a SW and you can make any shot that you can with a lob wedge.

Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!