IGNORED

New (Fall 2006) Titleist Arrivals

Note: This thread is 6471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a putter NUT!!! I have at least 6 or 7 right now... Some are in poor condition because they jumped out of my hand to their death against the side of a tree or some other object, but most of those are just in hospital for a while. I have had blades and mallets and bigger mallets and even bigger mallets... I am currently using an AMF (Bag Boy) mallet that sorta looks like a Rossa mallet. It is doing pretty good while I am punishing my old Carbite ZG for missing way too many 3 footers.

Putters have either good or bad Karma depending on the day of the week, the zodiac and the phase of the moon. Mallets or blades, they will all make you crazy for varying lengths of time. Whatever is comfortable at the time is the best putter as far as I am concerned.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

• Administrator
So I had the chance to play with the new clubs today. I shot a 75, which isn't bad considering I couldn't find the fairway until the back nine (and I hit 3W on several of the holes back there...). Anyway...

Detour Putter
I took to it right away. The feel at impact is... "aluminum spongy" but in a good way. It's tough to describe. The ball almost seems to "bounce" or "sproing" off the face, but it's soft, not hard. A very odd feeling. The putter is extremely well balanced (even though, at 34", I was gripping down to 33" or so, my preferred length). The "wang" as I've taken to calling it (the putter is "Vera") perfect for my stroke (inside/square/inside). The ball rolled well and alignment was easier than I imagined it would be at first (what with the main parallel alignment aid not being a straight line and all). I putted better than I have in a long while and shot 34 on the back with three birdies, all from 10+ feet (no tap-ins).

Titleist 906F2
It's a very subtle evolution. I have the UST ProForce v2 shaft in it, so that helps to keep the ball down over my r7 TP fairway wood (which got the ball up, but sometimes way too high). The 904 had a "lefty" tendency, and supposedly the CG is moved further forward in this and not so much draw bias is present. That's welcome - I hit this club from a few lies and it came out well, including one from the fairway. I liked the r7 because I always felt the leading edge contacted the ground more than with the 904, but the 906 seems to get lower to the ground with a more forward contact point than what felt like the back of the sole on the 904. And on one shot today, I welcomed the slightly wider, lower face the 906 offers over the 904 (and the r7 to a small extent).

I only hit four shots with it (one from a bad lie, and a bit towards the heel, and the ball came out low and rolled out to 210 yards, which was all I could ask for from that lie). The other ones from the fairway were pretty well cranked.

P.S. A small part of me is glad to have the familiar "thwack" back over the r7 TP's (titanium) "tink".

PT 585H
Take the TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP, remove the "tink" sound and replace it with the more solid "thwack" sound, remove the grey rounded topline and replace it with a straight topline and a solid black top, lower the ball flight a few degrees, and stick in the Aldila NV hybrid shaft, and you've got the 585H. All of those changes are welcome.

I didn't have the chance today to hit the 585H out of troublesome spots - just off the fairways and tees (and only three times at that), but the performance was great. I missed one towards the toe on a par 3 and the ball still traveled a good distance - probably lost five yards, and the ball was a few yards right.

It'll be awhile before I can give a more thorough answer on these, because I like to hit a LOT of different kinds of shots with these. But I can already tell they eliminate one of my main beefs with the Rescue Dual TP - the inability to hit the ball really low on command.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What about the 755's? Where will they fit in their iron lineup? I've read a little about them and Titleist claims they are a multi-material blade cavity back. With several pros playing them already I'm wondering what they are replacing, or what skill level they are made for.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

• Administrator
What about the 755's? Where will they fit in their iron lineup? I've read a little about them and Titleist claims they are a multi-material blade cavity back. With several pros playing them already I'm wondering what they are replacing, or what skill level they are made for.

There's another thread for those. Look for one started by Donald MacKenzie.

They fit between the 735 and the 775. Notice how that works? 735, 755, 775?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They fit between the 735 and the 775. Notice how that works? 735, 755, 775?

Yeah, like the Beoing airliners 707, 727, 747,767, etc... I get it... lol

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Thanks for the update on the new clubs, Erik. You mention in your comments about the Detour that its alignment aid is not straight. Why is that? Is that to promote an inside to square to inside stroke? You also mention that the putter you received is 34", rather than the 33" you prefer. To compensate for the length difference, you choke down on the grip. Does that affect the lie angle, and is determining the correct lie angle for a putter for you much of an issue?

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• Administrator
Thanks for the update on the new clubs, Erik. You mention in your comments about the Detour that its alignment aid is not straight. Why is that? Is that to promote an inside to square to inside stroke?

Short answer, yes. Longer answer: already covered in this forum. Maybe even in this thread.

You also mention that the putter you received is 34", rather than the 33" you prefer. To compensate for the length difference, you choke down on the grip. Does that affect the lie angle, and is determining the correct lie angle for a putter for you much of an issue?

One inch won't change the lie angle, no, and the lie angle on just about all of Scotty's putters (of any length) is 71 degrees. Shaft length is shaft length, and over two inches (33 to 35), at such a steep lie angle, it's not going to affect much. Plus, I grip down an inch to make the 34" putter a 33" putter.

At 71 degrees or whatever most putters are, the difference between 33" and 34" is about... well, let's see: cos(71°) = x/35; x = 11.395 cos(71°) = y/34; y = 11.069 z = x - y; z = 11.395 - 11.069; z = 0.326... which is of course another way of saying... z/cos(71°) = 1; z = 0.326. So if I didn't grip down, my hands would technically have to be less than half an inch from where they would be if I had a shorter putter (and 0.9455 inches higher, too, at 71 degrees). Since I grip down, though, nothing changes. The lie angle on a 33" putter is still 71 degrees, just as it is on a 35" or 34" putter. The biggest thing for me is adjusting to a 340 gram head instead of a 350 gram head.

Thank you for your response. Having reviewed this thread, I see you provided a link that explains the alignment aid.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

• Administrator
Thank you for your response. Having reviewed this thread, I see you provided a link that explains the alignment aid.

Also, there is enough of a straight part that you can still line up that way if you want, or you can use the perpendicular (there's a black line or the whole face of the putter of course).

Not to beat a dead horse, but, on the link you provided I went to an area in which Mr. Cameron talked about the idea that the most natural putter path is in to square, etc. However, I'm a little confused about why he makes both heel shafted as well as center shafted putters ( detours or otherwise ). I have been under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that heel shafted putters promote more of an in to square to in path, while a center shafted, face balanced putter promotes more of a pendulum stroke. Is he merely accomodating those of us who think we want a pendulum stroke by making a center shafted putter or, if the center shafted putter is not face balanced, does he believe that placing the shaft in or near the center has nothing to do with encouraging a pendulum stroke?

shortgame85
In the Bag:

• Administrator
Not to beat a dead horse, but, on the link you provided I went to an area in which Mr. Cameron talked about the idea that the most natural putter path is in to square, etc. However, I'm a little confused about why he makes both heel shafted as well as center shafted putters ( detours or otherwise ). I have been under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that heel shafted putters promote more of an in to square to in path, while a center shafted, face balanced putter promotes more of a pendulum stroke. Is he merely accomodating those of us who think we want a pendulum stroke by making a center shafted putter or, if the center shafted putter is not face balanced, does he believe that placing the shaft in or near the center has nothing to do with encouraging a pendulum stroke?

I don't know, and you raise a good point. I'll ask him.

Erik: Do you have a date for the full review of the Detour?

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

• Administrator
Erik: Do you have a date for the full review of the Detour?

"When it's done"? No, I don't, but... looking at my schedule... It'll be mid-September or so. I may try to get it done before then, but no later than the end of September.

I don't want to push things that have been waiting for their reviews for months just to get this one in early... but then again, I may do just that, because here's my review of one of those items, the Almost Golf Ball: pretty nifty. Goes too far for my yard. Good to carry around in your bag though.

How do I get to test the prototype Titleist clubs?

Anyway, everyone says August, Titleist itself said they will release the clubs for sale on August 15, 2006, but my pro shops around here say September. Anyways, if you guys can tell me where I can get this 906F2 in August, I'd really like that. I love the way it looks and am looking to update my bag. I would really like it before I get to school, which is why I am making a big deal about the dates, but I can always order it? Anyone know how to get into contact with Titleist Custom?

One more thing, I play the ole' Supersteel with a steel S300 shaft, I was thinking about the Aldila NV 105, but don't really know the advantages/disadvantages of either graphite or steel if I want the same gram weight (about...NV 105 is like 103 and the S300 is like 120-something)? Any suggestions, thanks!

Thanks again!!!

• 2 weeks later...

ERIC...

I owe you an apology, ......to a certain degree. Concerning the Detour, you and I had a fairly heated, though totally misunderstoon, exchange concerning the putter. My comments were strictly on it's appearance. You focused on the technology behind the club, which I agreed with you on.

I have been a blade guy for a while, and though I do love Cameron's older blade-like mallets (La Costa and Del Mar) I have NEVER been a fan of his crazier looking modern mallets. Just based on looks, I never felt comfortable over them.

Well, being a Cameron nut, and having to complete a very sick need to own all putters with his name on it, I decided, after long debate with myself, to purchase some of his mallets and mallet style putters anyway. After buying nearly every blade he has made (since his later Titleist days obviously ((94' and up)) ...I'm not crazy) I decided to start looking on eBay for some inexpensive, yet very good condition, Cameron Mallets (Futura, Futura Mallet, Red X).

I played in a Member / Guest Tournament right after these baby's arrived and after several hours on the practice greens, I decided to stick with my Newport anyway (I liked the Futura the best, but not enough to make the switch). I putted lights out that day, so I am happy w/ my decision. I still have the mallets in my collection, as their looks have started to grow on me, but LOVE my Newport, so... enter the DETOUR.

I decided to get the Detour for one reason... to add it to my collection. I picked it up, brand new, at my pro shop for a smokin $230.00. These things have been selling on ebay for $500.00 to $700.00 and now are $300.00 new at any warehouse. Anyway, when it came in my pro called me and told me it had arrived. When I picked it up even he was making fun of how it looks (It really is UGLY). I made some comments myself and off to the practice green I went.

It took me about ten minutes to get a feel for it, but then all of a sudden I started putting lights out w/ it. 14 in a row from 12 feet!!! I missed 15 by only an inch. I was amazed. I still feel more at ease over my Newport, but this MONSTER has impressed me, and, as you recall, I was not going to be impressed. I take them both out now, play around, and am trying to decide to make the switch for good. I don't know that I will, but here is where my point comes in, the whole "Don't judge a book by it's overly huge and ugly cover" thing.

I don't know that I will ever get used to the way it looks. I might need to cary a second bag to hold it. But, the technology MUST be solid, as I, someone who has NEVER liked mallets, am stroking this thing like a champ. The way it sets up, it's allignment, the weighting, all seem to be perfect.

So, anyway, that's my half harted attempt to bury the hatchet-like Detour. Based TOTALLY on performance and NOT AT ALL ON LOOKS it is an AMAZING putter.

In My Bags(s)... Main Set & Back Up Set

Driver: Rapture V2 9.o / G15 9.o (Stiff)
3 Wood: G15 15.5 / G10 15.o (Stiff)
5 Wood: G15 18.5 / G10 18.o (Stiff)Hybrid: G15 20.o / G10 21.o (Stiff)Irons & Wedges (4-L): Eye 2 +no+ / Eye 2 BeCu (Blue Dot / Stiff)Extra Wedge: 60.4 Satin Nickel Spin...

• Administrator
I don't know that I will ever get used to the way it looks. I might need to cary a second bag to hold it. But, the technology MUST be solid, as I, someone who has NEVER liked mallets, am stroking this thing like a champ. The way it sets up, it's allignment, the weighting, all seem to be perfect.

Scott, I don't particularly recall our discussion getting "heated" at all. Perhaps our definitions vary... but I assure you I haven't really thought of it or been harboring any ill will. I tend to move on past things pretty quickly in general.

At any rate, perhaps if you simply think of the Detour as a blade putter with a tacked-on stroke guide (almost a built-in training aid), it will ease your transition. It's only somewhat mallet-like, after all...

• Administrator

BTW, Scotty Cameron answered your questions. I

started a new thread with his answer.

At any rate, perhaps if you simply think of the Detour as a blade putter with a tacked-on stroke guide (almost a built-in training aid), it will ease your transition. It's only somewhat mallet-like, after all...

You know, you're right about that. I think that is one of the reasons I do putt better with the Detour, than say a Two Ball. I get lined up, focus on the "training aid" at address for just a second w/ a practice stroke, and then kind of make it go away in my mind, focusing only on the "blade" part, the face. When I focus on that, I do putt better than when I am watching the stroke guide. I don't know what it is, but it really does work. I'm sure that in time I will learn to get used to it. It's not hard when you're draining them.

In My Bags(s)... Main Set & Back Up Set

Driver: Rapture V2 9.o / G15 9.o (Stiff)
3 Wood: G15 15.5 / G10 15.o (Stiff)
5 Wood: G15 18.5 / G10 18.o (Stiff)Hybrid: G15 20.o / G10 21.o (Stiff)Irons & Wedges (4-L): Eye 2 +no+ / Eye 2 BeCu (Blue Dot / Stiff)Extra Wedge: 60.4 Satin Nickel Spin...

Note: This thread is 6471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!