IGNORED

Hitting Irons Thin

pounc007
Note: This thread is 5308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The past few days I have been hitting all my irons super thin. I just want some suggestions since I have just gotten back into golfing after about a 5 year hiatus and I don't really have any buddies at the course to offer me any help. The guy I have been practicing with is completely new to the game and can't really offer any help.

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron
MP 62 6-PWCleveland 588 Gap and Sand Wedge IC 20-10Low Round: 68 The Senator Golf Course Robert Trent Jones Prattville, Alabama

could be too far forward. good cal on raising up, I have been trying to get my follow through higher to make more of a C shape at the top instead of twisting around, I'm getting old now and it hurts my back to swing like I used to. Any specific tip to accomplish this?

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron
MP 62 6-PWCleveland 588 Gap and Sand Wedge IC 20-10Low Round: 68 The Senator Golf Course Robert Trent Jones Prattville, Alabama

All of the above are very possible, but let me add what I heard last week from an Instructor at the David Pelz 1 Day school. He held a club in front of him and tightened his grip. The club rose up an inch or two. Basically he stated that you hold the club as light as you can without dropping it when you swing. I have been doing it and getting great contact. What happens is that as you start trying harder if you mishit a ball you increase your grip pressure. Exactly the wrong thing to do. Try smoothing a few shots while holding the club softly.
Mike

Big Bertha Diablo 1w
Big Bertha Diablo 3w
Big Bertha Diablo 5w
Big Bertha Diablo 3h
Big Bertha Diablo 4hCallaway X22 5 IronCallaway X22 6 IronCallaway X22 7 IronCallaway X22 8 IronCallaway X22 9 IronPelz PW 49Pelz SW 56 Pelz L 60Ball: Bridgestone B330 RX TourPutter: Ping Anser V2My...

I'll try that on the range tomorrow. Thanks a ton buddy.

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron

I used to thin my irons like crazy. A fellow golfer mentioned that I was raising up on my downswing. So, as others have mentioned, that's a common cause.

However, what helped my ball striking more than anything else is keeping my head still during my swing. At first I tried to compensate my raising up with what ended up being a dip, which led to fat shots. A wise man told me to keep my head still(and to take the club back straight, but that's another story) and that did 2 things. One, it kept me from coming out of my stance and two, it kept me from swaying.

Anytime my swing starts to fall apart during a round, I concentrate on keeping my head still during my swing. Usually, that's the root of my problem.

I need to watch for this. I sometimes hit thin, or top the ball with my irons. The guys I'm playing with say my swing doesn't look any different when I do it, so this may be the culprit.

All of the above are very possible, but let me add what I heard last week from an Instructor at the David Pelz 1 Day school. He held a club in front of him and tightened his grip. The club rose up an inch or two. Basically he stated that you hold the club as light as you can without dropping it when you swing. I have been doing it and getting great contact. What happens is that as you start trying harder if you mishit a ball you increase your grip pressure. Exactly the wrong thing to do. Try smoothing a few shots while holding the club softly.

Look how long Tiger Woods keeps his head down even through his follow-through:

Doesn't turn his head until his shoulders rotate to the point where his head HAS to follow.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

Note: This thread is 5308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!