IGNORED

Ultimate Etiquette Challenge... yours?

FHopper
Note: This thread is 5165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We have an intensive English program that foreign businessmen come to for a few weeks, I think it was some of those guys. I did not know about the lunch thing but it explains something, I watched for them through the trees as I played on and never saw them tee off on 10. If they stopped for lunch that would explain a lot!!

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I play through Japanese golfers quite often. I have noticed not only a trend toward slower play, but a very relaxed - slower demeanor in general when on the golf course. It's never been an issue getting through though.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I don't care if you're red, yellow, purple, or green--I'm hitting one off the tee and buzzin' their tower.

That's right. Smoke them, people who play slow deserve to get konked in the noggin'. Ha Ha. As much fun as that would probably be (I can remember doing it a few times in my reckless youth), It's probably best to try to catch them on a tee box and TELL them you are going through. It does really suck for those of us who walk to try to sprint up to a cart in the fairway and tell someone to quit being an ••••••• though.

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron
MP 62 6-PWCleveland 588 Gap and Sand Wedge IC 20-10Low Round: 68 The Senator Golf Course Robert Trent Jones Prattville, Alabama

Slightly off topic but applicable.

Last season, I paid $85 for 18 and experienced a hellish five-hour 9 at an upscale public course; there were 3 foursomes backed up on each tee box.

Repeated calls to the clubhouse were ignored and we bailed at the turn. Management laughed at the idea of a refund and refused. I swore that day I would never play public golf in Massachusetts again and began the private search.

So I guess my etiquette challenge was to avoid walking into the pro shop with a wedge and start cap'n heads.

I didn't know this, but the USGA rules of Etiquette have changed to define a single as a 'group.' Thus should be shown the same rights afforded any other group on the golf course. It didn't use to be that way. In the past, a single had no rights on a golf course with lingo like a foursome should not even consider them to be out there.

Now:

Here is what now appears in the Etiquette guidelines of the Official Rules of Golf:

* In the "Pace of Play" section: "It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group." (emphasis mine)

* In the "Priority on the Course" section: "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term 'group' includes a single player."

http://golf.about.com/od/golfetiquet...espriority.htm

When I go out as a single, I just move around holes on my course, so that I'm not bugging a foursome in front of me. I have no problem with someone playing wildcat golf out there as long as they don't cut in front of someone.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

• 4 months later...
To the m-f who jumped from hole ONE to hole EIGHT today to avoid the crowds on the front 9, while I'm on hole SEVEN...

If you get in front of me again, and hack your sorry ass to every green - I WILL hit one into you next time.

Consider yourself lucky.

I know two wrongs don't make a right, but man, you suck, dude.

Oh, and thanks for quitting after you played three holes... I wouldn't have been able to contain myself on the back 9, had you gone to 10.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Last Friday I teed off as a single at my usual course. Robert Trent Jones 1924, was a country club when I was a kid but sold to Wichita State University in the late 60s. I became bogged down by a mixed foursome of nice people who invited me to join or play through. I declined and hit several balls a while, finally meeting back up with them at #6 tee they said "you know if you just skip to the 8th tee you will have the whole course in front of you... we are all being held up by the foursome on the 7th tee". So I bailed to the 8th and as I passed within sight of the 7th there were four Japanese players who from the looks of them were probably guests of the university and were playing as if they were on tour. Their pre-shot routines were glacial and the interaction among them was also very time consuming. So,what should someone do? Should the pro come out and tell them to hurry up? Should people hit into them? Should people just get gypped out of two holes to get by them? I don't think anyone did anything about it, and it was true, there was no one on 8, 9, 10 or 11; they had back up four holes!

Rangers not doing their job...probably too busy eating their free lunch. 2 holes open is absurd......4 holes is down right comical.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

... but if they are Japanese nationals getting to play while visiting America. Does that change things? ...

Really wealthy Japanese can play golf frequently. Upper middle-class and middle class get to play much less often, because of the cost and course access.

So, a Japanese middle manager spends much more time at the practice range than actually playing. Getting onto the course is a big thing for them. Americans who have had golf vacations in Hawaii said the Japanese tourists there often take pictures of each other every couple of holes and really slow things down. Regardless of the course, just getting out to play 18 is a "St. Andrew's" experience for them.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hitting into them is by far the worst idea I have ever heard. I spent three weeks in the hospital when I was in 7th grade due to swelling on the brain because I was hit in the side of the head with a golf ball. I was not hit "in to", but I do know the damage a golf ball can cause.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

Rangers not doing their job...probably too busy eating their free lunch.

100% on target here.....it is the ranger and/or managers job to enforce pace of play......muni or private club, I have played on several courses that enforce pace of play.....I actually recall one sign, "We strongly enforce a 4.5 hour round", and they did......I have enjoyed soooo many great rounds of golf, with 4 people, walking or in carts, where we had a great time playing 18 holes in 4.5 or less hours.....this included joking around, enjoying cigars, a chat and beer from each of the beverage girls.....it's about respect for the others on the course.....

My last 6 hour round......beautiful day in early January a few years ago, it was like 65 degrees and sunny on a Saturday....most beautiful day we had in the last 2 months, we teed off around 11:30.....there was a 4some in front of us.....you know the drill, several practice swings per person, followed by a 30 second stare at the ball, followed by a knock in the 50 yard range......we were patient, trying to enjoy the day, but losing some patience every hole....we hit our first ranger at the 6th hole.......asked if he could help out, "they are only one hole behild, they'll pick it up".....well, this was a lie, we could see two holes in front of us just before running into him.....we finally ran into a second ranger around the 13th hole, asked if he could please help move them along....."Saturdays are always busy" and he drove off.....other than the 4some in front of us, everyone in front of them had already finished the round.....and it was backed up behind us......we finished 18 in the dark, several carts passed us that had their rounds cut short because of 4 selfish people.....at some point, you have to respect the rights of others to enjoy their round....

Really wealthy Japanese can play golf frequently. Upper middle-class and middle class get to play much less often, because of the cost and course access.

WAIT just a minute...you're telling us you've heard of Japanese tourists taking lots of pictures...I don't believe it for a second!

I was about to "hell yeah" this response... until I realized

I wrote it 5 months ago.
This is why I love my membership. If play is slow on one side, I go to the other. If I need to skip 2 holes and come back to them I can. Local custom here is to play wherever you want AS LONG AS YOU DON'T CUT ANYONE OFF.

Note: This thread is 5165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!