IGNORED

Need feedback on Las Vegas courses

plugged
Note: This thread is 5208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all,

I just got a chance to play all three (Bali Hai, Royal Links, and Desert Pines) over Xmas. Bali was in the best condition of the three, but definitely feels a little cookie cutter (especially for the price). I was a huge fan of Royal links b/c it was in really good condition (except the greens, grr...) and will probably go back there before I go to the other two again. Desert Pines was fun, but like others have said, it is a bit out of place. While it's true Royal Links could probably never capture the true essence of the holes it seeks to copy, it is still a really fun track. Also, they're short on customers at the moment. I think i only saw one or two other groups out there ALL day, and the nice guy at the desk informed me that they were closed the following two days because no one had booked a tee time. I'd definitely recommend this course for a good time. Also, they're range is beautiful. Little pyramids of practice balls with Sinatra singing the background. Who could ask for anything more?

In my Navy Hoofer:
Driver: Titleist 909D2 9.5* UST ProForce V2 X-stiff
3W: 904F 15* DG X100
Hybrid: X-Hybrid 3i Fujikura Banzai Stiff
Irons: MP-57 X200 3-PW

Wedges: Gauge Design Handmade 54* and 60*

Putter: SSB LKG Custom "Masters Edition"

Ball: Penta, Pro-v1x

Other: Pinseeker 1500 Tournament

I was in Henderson for Thanksgiving at my Father-in-law's and played two rounds at The Desert Willow executive course. I loved it. $40 for 18 holes with cart. I don't think you kind find a better deal in Vegas and the course is in GREAT shape.

Probably not what your looking for, but if you want a round that will only take you about 3 hours and not break the bank, I highly recommend it. The only other course I've played there is the Concord @ The Revere Golf Club, which was fantastic, but more $ than I like to spend. For me the Desert Willow was a much better value.

http://www.desertwillowlasvegas.com/

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I changed up my plans. I'm playing Royal Links and then the Wolf and Sun courses at Pauite. One final course is undecided at this point.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Hey all

I am going to be in Vegas mid September on my honeymoon,I hope to get a round of golf in while the new wife is off having spa treatment or some other girly thing done to herself..
What would be the best places to play solo? Do you usually get grouped with someone else if you turn up on your own? I'm not sure if I'd like that to be honest,it doesn't happen here in Ireland.

I will have a rental car so anywhere within a hours drive would be fine,also I won't be bringing my clubs over from Ireland,I doubt the new wife would be impressed if I brought Golf clubs on Honeymoon! So can anyone recommend a good place to rent decent clubs?

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him

PaddyH - First off, congratualtions on getting married. It's nice that your wife will let you play golf on the honeymoon. You can turn up at any public course in the States and they will fit you in wherever there is an opening on the tee sheet.Every course I know of in Vegas will have renatl clubs available. Courses that charge high green fees typically also charge high rent for rental clubs. I travel a lot and often turn up alone at courses. Most often, but not always, you will get paired with others. It all depends on how croweded the tee sheet is on the day. If I want to play as a single I make sure I am the first person at the course in the morning and go our brefore the first groupn tees off, or late in the afternoon. Other than that you will get paired up unless the course is empty (as Royal links was described in a prior post above). MOst, but not all courses will let you reserve a set tee time as a single. If you are flexible in where and when you want to play you can sometimes get discounted green fees by booking on line the day you play or the day before. There are currently some great rates at Primm Valley, Tuscany, Rhodes Ranch and Wildhorse, all of which are very good courses. The two courses at Primm are among my favorites. It is about a 45 minute drive from the Vegas Strip to Primm. Tuscany, Wild Horse and Rhodes Ranch are closer (15-20 minutes). My favorite courses in Vegas are the three at the Paiute reservation and The Chase at Cotote Springs. Paiute is about 20 min utes from the Strip; The Chase about 50 minutes. Here are a couple of links to websites that discount left-over tee times:

http://www.golfnow.com/lasvegas/tee-...s-vegas/search

http://teetimes.golfhub.com/courseList.asp

Here is a link to favorite Vegas courses: http://golfcourses.weebly.com/las-vegas-nv.html

Well, the Vegas trip was great. I played Royal Links, Paiute Wolf, and TPC LV. On a scale of 1-5, I would rate them as follows:

Royal Links - 3/5
Paiute Wolf - 4/5
TPC - 4/5

The TPC course was absolutely spectacular. Very challenging, the fairways were in wonderful shape, and the greens were the fastest and truest of any course I have ever played. I really enjoyed that experience, especially since I had finally calmed down enough that I could start to play to my potential. It was the most difficult course, and yet I played my best. I would have given it a 4.5, but it is surrounded by houses so it loses a little charm there.

The Wolf course at Paiute was also very nice. Bring lots of extra balls for this one. I think I lost about ten and found six, so I was net -4 for the day. The scenary on the Wolf course is beautiful. The only other desert course I found more beautiful was Cascata that I played a few years ago.

Royal Links was not bad, but it had a real gimmicky feel to it. Fairways were just OK and the greens needed some work.

One piece of advice: if you play Vegas courses, bring a low-bounce wedge, or practice chipping with a long iron and putting from the fringe.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the Vegas trip was great. I played Royal Links, Paiute Wolf, and TPC LV. On a scale of 1-5, I would rate them as follows:

Thanks for the reviews. I'm going out to Vegas next month for 4 days and am planning to play those same courses. Only one of the guys I am going with was seduced by the video on the Bali Hai website and will not be swayed from playing that course.

Looks like we're playing Royal Link, Bali Hai, TPC Las Vegas and then I'm hoping to take several other people's advice and play two of the courses at Pauite. That last part depends on my luck at the Blackjack tables.

Three lousy shots and one brilliant shot can still make par...

I'm going in Late march for my 21st BDAY!! I am wanting to play TPC and Wolf Creek, which I hear is the !@#$, but is a little ways from the strip.

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

I'm going in Late march for my 21st BDAY!! I am wanting to play TPC and Wolf Creek, which I hear is the !@#$, but is a little ways from the strip.

Wolf Creek is in Mesquite about an hour north of Las Vegas. One of my favorite all time courses. You will love the course. It is not that hard, if you don't try to over power it. Just play your normal game and enjoy the view. The scenery is breath taking.

Bunch of us go to Mesquite every year for a week of golf. We are heading out there the last weekend of April this year. We alway make sure we play Wolf Creek (sometime twice in a week).

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Truth is, if you're renting a car and driving 30 minutes to most of the courses, the hour to get to Wolf Creek is nothing. I made the trek solo last year (couldn't sell my casual golfing friends it was worth the money or time) and wow was it worth it. I played terribly and the round was nearly six hours but it didn't matter, it was incredibly enjoyable. I'm heading out in March also, and I'm seriously considering going out a day earlier than the rest of the group to hit Wolf Creek again.

Just a warning -- Figuring it was the desert, I was expecting temperatures in the 80s and 90s last march, and that wasn't even close. All I packed was shorts and I got nailed one morning when it was in the 40s and howling wind. It eventually warmed up into the upper 50s, but the wind never stopped, and it took all I had to get through 18, I bailed on the third hole of my second 18. The rest of the week was in the 70s, but man, that cold morning was a shocker.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Note: This thread is 5208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!