IGNORED

Have you played on a special course and where?

rembrandt
Note: This thread is 6458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dave, we HAVE to hook up for a trip to Barefoot in Myrtle one day. IMHO - all 4 courses there are nicer than Pine Needles. With game like yours you should be playing all the best tracks in the world.. what a waste

My buddy here has played out there (and is a Myrtle Beach regular) and said that it's probably the best golf in that area.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My buddy here has played out there (and is a Myrtle Beach regular) and said that it's probably the best golf in that area.

Invite is open. I need only 2 weeks notice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I run a personal training club and many of the clients are members at top clubs in the Detroit area. I have been lucky enough to get invited to play several of them.

Oakland Hills South: US Open, Ryder Cup, US Amateur and 2008 PGA Championship

Oakland Hills North: Maybe the second best course in Michigan

TPC Michigan: Ford Seniors Championship

Franklin Hills: Donald Ross design on par with Oakland Hills but 1/4 the crowd

Detroit Golf Club: Short but sweet
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I got hooked on golf about 10 years ago when I worked for a major telecom company. Although I had fooled around on a few par 3 and executive length courses, my first full regulation 18 holes was at the TPC at Scottsdale Stadium course compliments of my company's Re-use Division. I really knew next to nothing about the game and had an underappreciation of where I was, but I have never again putted greens that rolled that true.

Scored 140, not counting the hand toss onto the green at 15 after three balls in the water.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

I played Royal Melbourne a few years ago. The West Course, which I think contains about twelve holes of the composite course they use for major championships. Very, very nice. It's wierd growing up and watching all your favourite golfers play on a course and then finally get a chance to play yourself. A great experience.

"That's Golf!"

My son and I played Pine Dunes here in Texas Wed. and it is really a nice course. The ball sets up nice and the greens are 9.5 on the speed index. I didn't play all that well but I had one birdie and quite a few pars. It is long and rather tough on me cause I'm not where I want to be after my surgery. Anyway, this course is rated one of the top 5 muni courses in the state. The driving range, chipping and putting greens are worth the bucks we paid to play.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

It's wierd growing up and watching all your favourite golfers play on a course and then finally get a chance to play yourself. A great experience.

I experienced the same thing with Oakland Hills. I played there and then a couple years later they held the US Amateur there. Then I got to play it again the year of the Ryder Cup. It was almost sureal to walk along with the players and know that I have had a ball in the same spot or to see the rare occasion where I actually had a better hole then one of them. Of course, I think the US team played about as well as I did there.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

New Mexico - Paako Ridge, Black Mesa, Pinon Hills, Towa, ect... but these are the best!

Arizona - Sedona Golf Resort, Troon North, Desert Mountain-- Wow!

Colorado - Castle Pines "The Ridge not Sanctuary", The Broadmoore, Telluride -- My Favorite!!! The views from the Telluride course are breath taking....

Hawaii, Maui - Grand Wialea Emerald

Spain - Valderaama - Got lucky with that one!
In my Ping Pioneer LC bag -
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10* closed
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11 15* open
Hybrid: Ping G15 20*
Irons: Ping G15 4, i15 5 - PWWedges: Ping Tour S 50*, 56* bent to 55*, 60*Putter: TaylorMade Daytona Ghost 34" 

I was in Traverse City Michigan for a 2 day meeting and stayed at the Grand Traverse Resort that has 3 courses. The Bear, The Wolverine designed by Gary Player and Spruce Run.

The Bear, http://www.grandtraverseresort.com/golf/the_bear.cfm , designed by Jack Nicklaus is the hardest course I've ever played. I always try to play between 6600-7000 yards which on this course is a 146 slope rating and 74.0 course rating. From the ladies tee its 137 slope with a 73.1 rating. Wow! I now know which tee's I should have played from.

The wind off Lake Michigan is a major factor not to mention the diabolical shape of the greens. Some of the greens are very small. Some have little sections that extend out like a finger where there's a depth of 10-20 yards.

I think Jack was in a Bad mood when he designed this course. With the combination of wind, terraced fairways, deep British Open rough, water and those crazy greens it made for a tough day. I shot 95, never playing it before, and was happy. I hit the ball well and the course gave me a beating.

If you get a chance check out the score card. http://www.grandtraverseresort.com/golf/sc_the_bear.cfm I played the number 2 pin placement that day. Check out where the pin is on #1 and #10 greens. Might as well pour some salt on my wounds too while you're at it.

The Bear was definitely a humbling experience that I would love to enjoy again. I took Pictures If someone wants to see. let me know.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

New Mexico

No doubt, you've played on some fine courses. To-hell-you-ride is awesome I understand. I played on some south of Tucson in Green Valley that will make your mouth fall open in awe. I love Arizona in the winter. Spent 10 years out there just above Tombstone in St. David. Did the Cowboy thing with the Buscaderos and I did a poster for them that is selling in the stores out there now for $50.00. I get to rob the train depot here in Palestine once a month and thats a blast and I robbed the stagecoach in Jackson Hole, Wy at Old West Days over the past 6 years. I love going up there but getting shot down on the pavement is tough. No give in that stuff. Hard on my Vaqueros also.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

Note: This thread is 6458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!