IGNORED

Am I really gaining anything by buying "this years" clubs?

Note: This thread is 5200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im in the market for a new 4 hybrid. I currently play the 07 Burner 3 hybrid and love it. However, since I purchased the 3 hybrid, Taylormade realesed the 08 burner line, the 09 rescue line, and the 10 raylor line, plus numerous other companies have realeased countless other models since I bought my 3 hybrid. Right now, the 07 burner hybrids are $99, the 08 burner is $130, the 09 rescue is $160, and the raylor is $180. my question is, am I really gaining anything by getting the new model? Is it worth the extra money to get the new club, or should I just stick with what i know and go with the 07 burner and save the extra money?

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

MOST IMPORTANT and only QUESTION: Which one do YOU hit BEST? If you like the old 07's play them... they haven't put anything in the new clubs that makes them better for EVERYONE, it's just a preference question. I personally would probably NEVER buy a full priced brand new club, why when next year it will cost 1/2 price. Technology doesn't change that fast, and I can wait.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

If you like the 07 Burner, then get it. You are correct, their aren't many big changes from year to year so if you are already comfortable with a certain model you can stick with it. Especially when the older model is almost half the price of the new one.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

am I really gaining anything by getting the new model?

In a word, no.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Going from 07' to 09' probably not. As mentioned in a previous post, technology doesn't and won't change that fast.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Don't believe the hype!

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

IMHO you benefit from buying last couple (or more) of year's model instead of this years new ones because:

1) There's a lot of feedback out there already, some of which maybe from your friends who actually hit them
2) Fitting method's been established
3) Costs are down significantly but not the quality of the clubs

If you hit the '07 burner well go for it!

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

Following with the OP...i could/would benefit from my current setup of irons (circa 1996), Ping ISI-K's for a set of burner's or r9's?

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I think the greatest thing about the new clubs that come out this year means last year's models are cheaper! I really can't see that much difference, hell, even '08-07 models would be fine I think.

Get the 07 hybrid I found them to be some of the best hybrids out there. I would be playing one execpt for the fact that I hook it and there is no TP model. Personally I would have a huge mental problem with playing two different hybrids.

One of the things I like about golf is that I can get a new club for a fraction of the list price, because the company has one or two even newer models available. I doubt I will ever buy a club the same year it is released.

So basically if you hit the cheaper club well, why not just use that? Plus it'll match your 3H.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Just a thought, related to buying current gear or not....

If buying second hand, how many years would you go back before you feel that the clubs are technologically out of date, and just not worth considering?
Is 3 years back far enough, or is 5 years still in touch with what is being produced now?

This is my general belief on the obsolescence of golf equipment and how many years you can go back:
Drivers: 4-5 years
Fairway woods: Arguably 5-12 years
Hybrids: 4 years
Players Irons: 10-15 years
Game Improvement Irons: 6 years
Putters: Timeless

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Technology has peaked. I have a 6 year old driver and it has the same COR as the newest drivers on the market and the same size. That being said when I replace it I will probably buy the newest or second newest driver whatever one I choose.

Brian

Note: This thread is 5200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!