IGNORED

TM Burner Superfast

lcfd42
Note: This thread is 5171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was flipping through my new copy of Golf Digest and saw one of the new TM Burner Superfast drivers. I was wandering if anyone here had hit one and what they thought of it. I think it looks hideuos, very similar to a creature Sigourney Weaver slaughtered in a couple of movies many years ago. This aside, its merely a cosmetic thing. My questions does it perform well?

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

While I hate all the new graphics TMag is putting on clubs nowadays, I have held (but not hit) it, and I'll tell you that the pictures make it look oddly shaped, but it's really not. The graphics just make it appear like that. From address, it has a nice shape to it, I just don't like the honeycomb pattern on the top of the driver. I don't really care for the grid on the top of my Burner either, but that didn't keep me from buying it after I hit it a few times.

I agree with the longer shafts. It's getting a little out of control, especially for someone's who's short (my irons are -1 inch).

What's the point of a longer shaft if you have to choke up on it a couple of inches in order to hit it? And I though my driver had a long shaft (45.75")!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

The only reason they keep adding length to the shaft is because the average golfer is not smart enough to get it. They think, damn i hit this club a ton. I can work on my swing to straighten it up. They don't realize that they will never be able to control a longer shafted driver.

Yeh i wont be swapping my adjustable R9 for one any day soon because my R9 can be adjusted to help me hit it . What is the use if i can only hit the burner superfast 1 time well out of ten. It will go further into the rough is what it really means by goes further

It is a Kansas club, we never care what fairway we are in, it is all flat anyway.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

The only reason they keep adding length to the shaft is because the average golfer is not smart enough to get it. They think, damn i hit this club a ton. I can work on my swing to straighten it up. They don't realize that they will never be able to control a longer shafted driver.

Very true, companies pray on this ignorance.

What's the point of a longer shaft if you have to choke up on it a couple of inches in order to hit it? And I though my driver had a long shaft (45.75")!

Yeah, me too, and mine's only 45".

It is a Kansas club, we never care what fairway we are in, it is all flat anyway.

+1 to that.

that would work at my home club because normally im in the trees but i would hit it on to the next fairway so it would technically work

Haha, you and Tiger have something in common.

There is an article on long shafted drivers in the Mar 2010 Golf Digest. According to Taylormade, "...the variability of impact location doesn't increase significantly as the shaft length increases". Some numbers in the article: 86% increased clubhead speed, 62% increased ball speed, 51% were less off line, 51% increased distance.

I think what it all boils down to, give it a try and if you like it, stick it in your bag. Otherwise leave it to the others. No need to complain about golf companies for trying something new. If they didn't we'd still be using wood heads, hickory shafts, and blade putters.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

G D also said if your driver is over two years old to replace it, so much for the '07 Burner I bought last fall, thank heavens for the Super Fast showing up just in time!!

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

If you have proper swing mechanics the 09 burner doesnt do anything but hit the ball straight. Its a pain ass if you need to go around dog legs at the 250-300 mark because its impossible.
the longer shaft is meh, the shaft is so light that you can still control it. Its just the ball doesnt spin in general. Its meant to hit it a mile dead straight.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

These companies will do anything to convince us that fitting is bad.

You know how many people on here have talked about how they feel getting their irons fitted would be bad for them? How many of you think fitting is a crutch? Yet, every single PGA tour player is meticulously fit for every single club. Tiger Woods was fit for clubs from day one, and he's the best golfer on earth. Who are we kidding? Would you say getting fitted for shoes is a crutch to learning to walk? Don't you think that would be pretty asinine?

The tour pros also use shorter shafts. They aren't stupid enough to think that they can control a 46" shaft with their nearly perfect swings, but all of us somehow think we can? That's almost insanity by definition. And if you say we'd still be using persimmon woods if these companies didn't try anything new, you're right. But most of the advances have been in favor of making clubs easier to hit. This advance is in favor of making you think you hit their driver longer. If you buy this driver, have the shaft cut down 2".

I am all for perfect fit but for most golfers if they are gonan shank one with a 46" they will shank it with a 45".
I've had no problems with the 09 burner, only in that it does nothing but go straight.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I am all for perfect fit but for most golfers if they are gonan shank one with a 46" they will shank it with a 45".

That may be true, but its always better to shank 1 of 10 rather than 7 of 10, Don't you think?

1 inch on a driver isnt gonna stop you from shanking. If you have bad swing mechanics they will be as apparent with a 44" or 46"
A lot of golfers just can't hit a driver, it was the same when i started, didnt matter what driver/shaft or what not i wasnt gonna be able to hit it.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Yeah I have the 09 Burner too, and haven't found it any harder to control than my old Driver, which had a 44'' shaft. And being a not so great golfer, it really has helped me keep it straighter for whatever reason.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 inch on a driver isnt gonna stop you from shanking. If you have bad swing mechanics they will be as apparent with a 44" or 46"

Ok, so you are telling me that because of "bad swing mechanics" that I can't hit a driver, but regardless of those same mechanics a 265y 3W or a 135y PW drawn or cut as I wish shouldn't be a problem? It's the shorter shaft and club head control that makes this possible. There is a point at which too much of a good thing is too much, and these clubs have too much shaft length. I have a driver that actually has this problem (not shanking, but blocking out), and I plan to cut it 1.5" to 45" to match my other drivers that I have no problems hitting 280y.

This is a waste of typing as it off topic anyway.

Note: This thread is 5171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!