IGNORED

Scottsdale trip in less than a month

GolfinGQ
Note: This thread is 5184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so my pop and I are going on a trip to Scottsdale next month for golf and Pre-Season baseball. We will be there for a week, and are looking to get at least 4 days of golf, and maybe one of those days 36 holes. I know there are a few threads about places to play, but I wanted to start my own because we are not worried about prices, and a few of the threads were.

I know a few on here say TPC Scottsdale is overrated, but where we are staying we get a discount on it. Only $160 instead of $275, and we can play the champions course for $80 instead of $140.

We are leaning towards the Monument course at Troon, but I have heard a lot of people talk about We-Ko-Pa too.

I also here about Grayhawk, Boulders, Gold Canyon and Talking Stick. There are so many to choose from, I want to make sure we play the very best. Any help and input would be great guys.

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

I think at TPC it's the Stadium course where the PGA TOUR event. The Champions course's name is a bit misleading.

I've heard the Monument course is really nice, and Golf World recently said they really like We-Ko-Pa.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The TPC Stadium course would not be in my Scottsdale area top 10. However, at $160 you'll need to compare the green fee to what you'll pay at the other area courses. The TPC Champions course was just completly re-done and is a good bang for the buck. If you haven't played We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, Raptor, Boulders South, Vista Verde, Talking Stick or Dinosuar Mountain, I'd play any of those before TPC unless they were much more expensive. Here is a link to http://golfcourses.weebly.com/scottsdale-az.html .

Links to photos nof the courses:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/563720024mtsCgK

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557661553IzfCwd

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557662043DmPEmD

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557662452fZmNcM

Thanks Sabram, I have seen your site before, its great. I think We-Ko-Pa is going to be a definite, and most like Troon.....but if I only have ONE more, what would you suggest? I called and got a deal through our timeshare for TPC.....both courses, same day for $225. So if we golf four days, its TPC, Troon, We-Ko-Pa, and one more. Or do you think somewhere else would be beter than Troon?

In my r7 bag:

hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

And has anyone ever played at the Wigwam Resort? It was redone by RTJ and looks pretty nice. I ask because I have a free round through golfnow there. And I can also get an exremely cheap rate at The Shell Legacy course too......

In my r7 bag:

I personally would play Grayhawk over Troon North but that's me. Troon is very nice but I think it is too much desert target golf and the houses are too close to the course. Depends on what type of course you want to play. Courses like Talking Stick and Vista Verde are more links style. Vista Verde did not overseed the fairways this year but the playability of the course is awesome. I played 2 weeks ago and the greens were the best I've played all year.

I play the Wigwam regularly and the Gold course is a masterpiece and is extremely difficult.(One of my AZ favorites) Conditions might not be too good(greens esp.) since they are just coming out of receivership and it may take a while for the money to get flowing into course conditions and improvements.

Legacy is a good course that I need to get back around to playing. Haven't played there in a while but it's usually in great shape.

The Wigwam Gold course is very good, so don't let the free round lapse. It was an RTJ Sr layout that was recently renovated by Forrest Richardson. There was a recent article saying that Jerry Colangelo purchased the property and may change one or more of the Wigwam courses. Note- The Wigwam is on the opposite side of Phoenix from the Scottsdale courses. If you play We-Ko-Pa, Troon North, TPC and the Wigwam you can play 36 a day on different courses at each of those four facilities. That's a pretty memorable golf trip

I've played all of the Troon courses, Grayhawk and We-ko-pa. Out of them all I prefer We-ko-pa. Cholla is almost 7,300 yards from the back tees and makes for a great day.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

this post has brought tears to my eyes. buddies and i took a golf trip to scottsdale 4-5 years ago. we played TPC, SunRidge Canyon, Eagle Mountain, We-Ko-Pa. i agree with most of these posts, We-Ko-Pa was very nice. and unlike some others on here, i liked the TPC, you won't be disappointed. from what i remember, the most player friendly course/personnel was at SunRidge Canyon, very nice people, guaranteed good experience.
callaway.gif FT-i 9*
nike.gif CPR Hybrid 18*
titleist.gif 735cm 3-PW
nike.gif SV 56*, 60*
odyssey.gif White Hot #8 

Has anyone played Desert Canyon? I am looking for a cheaper fill in course.

Has anybody playe the Pheonician? It looks pretty nice.

In my r7 bag:

Yes, the Phoenecian is very nice. Very much a resort course. 27 holes with some desert and some plams.

I just returned last week from Scottsdale. I recommend in order:

Gold Canyon - Dinosauer
Grayhawk - Talor or Raptor. Don't miss Weds nights at Phils Grill with live music
Troon North
TPC Scottsdale
Sun Ridge Canyon.

Haven't played We ko Pa yet.

Skip ASU Karsten. McCormick Ranch was average at best.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

Did you get the deal at Dino? I am looking right now, you can play both the Gold Canyon courses and breakfast or lunch for $169 pp.

In my r7 bag:

Its commical, GOLF DIGEST has none of the courses we are talking about in the top 100 public courses. GOLF.COM on the other hand has 6 courses in the top 100, but look how they rank them.

GOLF.COM RANKINGS Top 100 public courses
Troon North "Pinnacle" #21
We-Ko-Pa "Cholla" #35
We-Ko-Pa "Saguaro" #44
Troon North "Monument" #45
Grayhawk "Talon" #87
Boulders "South" #90

Funny how they have Troon and We-Ko-Pa switched around from what everone says. And same with Grayhawk, I have allways heard Raptor was the better of the 2.

So Cholla or Saguaro for We-Ko-Pa?!?!? I see some say one, and some say the othere.

Has anyone played Superstition Mountain? Two courses there from Jack.

In my r7 bag:

.... with Grayhawk, I have allways heard Raptor was the better of the 2.

Raptor is the more scenic of the two. A lot of people think Talon is more strategic. I think better golfers tend to prefer Talon. I prefer Raptor, but I often like Fazio "eye candy". They aren't signifcantly different and the magazine rankings shouldn't be given too much weight

So Cholla or Saguaro for We-Ko-Pa?!?!? I see some say one, and some say the othere.

Here too, both courses are very good, but I think Saguaro has it all over Cholla. Saguarao is less target oriented and more strategic. It has wide fairways and challenging green complexes and provides different options to play most of the holes.

I think if you took a poll my guesses would be that Saguaro would be preferred by about 75% to 25% over Cholla and Raptor would be preferred about 60% to 40% over Talon among golfers who have played both.

Sabram, in your list of top courses, you did not have Estrella, or Eagle Mountain. Do they just not compare, or have you not played them?

In my r7 bag:

Sabram, in your list of top courses, you did not have Estrella, or Eagle Mountain. Do they just not compare, or have you not played them?

I've played them. There are so many courses in the Phoenix area. Not all of them can be "favorites". I'd put Estrella and Eagle Mtn below the ones on my list. That doesn't mean they aren't decent courses. Eagle Mtn is quite forgiving. Several of the fairways will funnel balls back toward the middle They are both scenic. Here is a link to photos of eagle Mtn. I didn't take pix of Estrella.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/281...00544033vgBIcx

Note: This thread is 5184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!