IGNORED

Pebble Beach bound!

canes113
Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm going to San Francisco / Napa in September and will have a chance to play Pebble Beach for the first time! Any advice on reserving tee times? I'm guessing caddies are a must? Any good restaurants for lunch or dinner after the round?
In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

Not too hard to find out - just check their website and you'll find that resort guests can book up to 18 months in advance and non-hotel guests can try 24 hours in advance for Pebble.

http://www.pebblebeach.com/avail_rat...ndowHeight=600

Caddies are not required, but if you're going to play Pebble I would certainly highly recommend one. Unless you have physical restrictions on walking, it is a great course to walk and strolling along with a caddy down the 18th is an experience you'll never forget. Caddies cost $75 plus tip.

Carmel is filled with great restaurants, but my personal favorite is Casanova. Excellent food for decent value, with an exceptional wine list (if you go, ask for a tour of their cellar). More info: http://www.casanovarestaurant.com/

Not too hard to find out - just check their website and you'll find that resort guests can book up to 18 months in advance and non-hotel guests can try 24 hours in advance for Pebble.

Thank you for the info. I checked the website recently, but I'm a bit worried about the 24 hours in advance tee time. Is there another option for non-hotel guests? I'm thinking of booking Spyglass 30 days out and transfer to Pebble the day before?

What's an appropriate tip for a caddie? Never used one over here...
In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

Thank you for the info. I checked the website recently, but I'm a bit worried about the 24 hours in advance tee time. Is there another option for non-hotel guests? I'm thinking of booking Spyglass 30 days out and transfer to Pebble the day before?

As far as I know, there isn't another option for non-hotel guests. It's pretty simple - Pebble is one of the most demanded courses in the world, and they do their best to accommodate their resort guests and squeeze others on when then have openings. When I played there last July I made my reservations (I stayed at the Lodge) in February, and as I understood they were fully booked about 3-4 weeks ahead of time. Your only other option is to just walk up, and it is possible they can squeeze you in if there were any cancellations.

Regarding booking Spyglass and then transfering over, I wouldn't think that would work. Pebble is booked for whatever Pebble can handle, so it is a matter of demand and not being in a general queue of Pebble Beach Resorts tee times. And don't sell Spyglass short - it is a fantastic course! Most think it is a better course than Pebble, so if that's all you get to play you'll still be playing one of the finest courses in the world, and for significantly cheaper than Pebble. Since the US Open is at Pebble this year, I'd expect that Pebble will be even more in demand this year. That certainly happened at Torrey Pines here in San Diego a couple years ago - after that thrilling battle, it seemed everyone wanted to get out and the already hard-to-get reservations got even tougher. Oh, and on your caddy tip question, the guy in the Pebble pro shop suggested "$25 or more". We had a caddy that carried double bags for myself and my buddy, and we tipped $50 each. But I've kind of had a nagging guilt afterwards that I might have undertipped a bit, which is something I really hate to do. This was the only time I've ever had a caddy, and it really made an already fantastic experience to be something really outstanding. For those that are doing the math, yes Pebble is outrageously expensive: $495 greens fee, $75 caddy fee, caddy tip, etc. But to me it was worth every penny and I cannot wait to go back.

I like the Monterey Fish House and also "C" restaurant in the Clement hotel.

As for Pebble....you'll get a lot of advice. Where do you plan to play in Napa? I'd suggest the Sonoma CC for starters.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

What's an appropriate tip for a caddie? Never used one over here...

You can probably ask someone working there what the minimum tip is or what a typica tip amount is. When we played Valhalla, we were told the minimum tip was $40 bucks so I would assume a similar policy is in place at Pebble.

If you're gonna be in that area (especially if you're going from SF to Monterey) you gotta check out Half Moon Bay. Hands down, my favorite place in the entire world. I'm sure that could change if i went to Pebble, but part of the thing I loved about HMB was the low key-ness. Two great courses. An 18th hole with a view just as good as Pebble's. Friendly little surfer town as well.

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

This is all good info, i'm 36 now and saving my money for my 40th birthday present, a trip to Pebble Beach. I can't wait to get there, how much do you guys think i need? i also want to play Spyglass when i'm there and i don't want to be tight, i really want to enjoy myself without the worry of money. THANKS for your help

im guessing just for golf 1000-1200 dollars. With hotel, etc, I wouldnt leave the house with anything less than 2000. You might want to go on the website and look at a package deal.

2010 Victory Red Staff Bag or Nike 2011 Performance Stand bag
Driver: Titleist 910 D3 with Diamana Whiteboard 83X (44")
3 Wood: SQ2 15° w/ Diamana Blueboard 83X (43")
5 Wood: SQ2 19° w/ Diamana Redboard 83X (42")
Irons + Wedges Nike Victory Red Pros 3-PW 52 56

• 4 weeks later...
I live in Monterey and Pebble can be tough to get onto, especially in September which is kind of the high season (some of the best weather) around here. You will absolutely pay full price that time of year which I think is about $450 right now. I also heavily recommend Spy but don't forget Bayonet and Blackhorse have recently been remodeled and are very nice at much more reasonable prices. Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills and Old Del Monte are quality public tracks as well but the real gems are in the local private courses. If you have a membership and can go reciprocal I'd highly recommend Monterey Peninsula Country Club (Shore Course), The Preserve, Tehama and Corral de Tierra Country Club. Cypress is obvious but you'll never get on.

Jealous...have fun at Pebble
sunmountain.gifC-130 Bag
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 8.5 Fubuki 73x Stiff 45"
ping.gifG15 4W 17.0 X-Stiff ping.gifS-56 3-PW Project X 6.5 ping.gifTour S 52, 56, 60 S300
cameron.gifStudio Select Newport 2.0 34"
bushnell.gifTour V2

• 4 months later...
I live in Monterey and Pebble can be tough to get onto, especially in September which is kind of the high season (some of the best weather) around here. You will absolutely pay full price that time of year which I think is about $450 right now. I also heavily recommend Spy but don't forget Bayonet and Blackhorse have recently been remodeled and are very nice at much more reasonable prices. Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills and Old Del Monte are quality public tracks as well but the real gems are in the local private courses. If you have a membership and can go reciprocal I'd highly recommend Monterey Peninsula Country Club (Shore Course), The Preserve, Tehama and Corral de Tierra Country Club. Cypress is obvious but you'll never get on.

I miss living in Monterey, the golf was sooo nice.. I got to play the old Bayonet and Blackhorse..holy cow wer those two tough..

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

• 3 years later...

After waiting 30 years because friends wouldn't join me I've been twice in 2011 and 2012, each time booking a room through the reservations folks at PB. If you can afford it let them book you a room the night before you play, have a nice dinner in the Lodge and a leisurely breakfast before heading out to the range. Nothing like it, and you're guaranteed a tee time at PB. I'd been wanting to go back this year and when researching a package came across a tournament they put on called The Duke at Pebble Beach wherein you get three nights at the Inn at Spanish Bay and two stroke play rounds on Pebble. Cost only $2,550 with food and drink receptions and tee gifts thrown in as well. A true no brainer. For most this is a once in a lifetime experience where you don't want to skimp on the money. Have a great time.....then go to St. Andrews.

Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!